Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-12-19, 11:16 PM   #1
erikmoda
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to erikmoda
Freestyle Basic and Necessary Tricks

I've been noticing a lot, both here in Unicyclist.com and in my progress
Are freestyle tricks that helps A LOT In the progress of learning the tricks of other modes (flat, street, trials)
In many OTG I see people with difficulty in learning easy tricks (I also present this problem) and FReestyle tricks like these
One foot idle
One foot ride
SIF Ride and Ride Seat droped on the ground (forward and backwards)
Wheel Walk
One foot wheel walk
stand up
Really indirectly helps in the learning team of Flat street tricks, and really helps balance the need for side hops on trial!
At least to me was so good, today I Get some short meters in One foot riding!
So I´m here To put the idea of write here freestyle tricks that are both funny and useful for unicycling good progress and also to help those learning freestyle tricks!

so heres my first question, When I try a stand up I first ride one footed and put my other foot on the crown but the uni slide forwards :/ any tips?

Here a short list with the tricks who helps me!
One foot idle
One foot ride
SIF Ride
Wheel Walk
One foot wheel walk
erikmoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 12:24 AM   #2
IntoIt
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to IntoIt
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoda View Post
I've been noticing a lot, both here in Unicyclist.com and in my progress
Are freestyle tricks that helps A LOT In the progress of learning the tricks of other modes (flat, street, trials)At least to me was so good, today I Get some short meters in One foot riding!
So I´m here To put the idea of write here freestyle tricks that are both funny and useful for unicycling good progress and also to help those learning freestyle tricks!

so heres my first question, When I try a stand up I first ride one footed and put my other foot on the crown but the uni slide forwards :/ any tips?

Here a short list with the tricks who helps me!
One foot idle
One foot ride
SIF Ride
Wheel Walk
One foot wheel walk
Those are essentially the five tricks that I can do.

One foot idle:

One foot idle is really, really easy....
IF YOU CAN IDLE!

My recommendation for learning the one foot idle is simply not to work on it.

It's more important to be able to idle well, for practical purposes, than to know that 'trick' anyway, so I would just work on your idle a lot. A whole lot. The first time somebody told me about the one foot idle, I realized that I could already do it.
By the next day I was about as good at it as I am today. But I rode around a while before I realized people were actually doing tricks on these things, so my idle was already solid. Get that idle down really solid first, and then just hold onto a wall or a car and feel it out. The movement is a little different... it's more of a....
Push..Push..,Push...Push..
Push once forward, and then once back.

If you can already idle pretty well, then I would put this trick at the top of your list - really, you'll get it in no time if you work on it!

One-foot riding:
when your dominant foot is coming over the highest position, and is moving toward a level position, ( on the clock this would be from 12 - 3), accelerate your leg movement, (push down hard), and this will inevitably cause your wheel to 'shoot forward,' which means you need to lean forward fast and far in order to make up for it. Then, move your foot in the curve of the 6-12 positions in anticipation of the pedal, so the pedal only rests against it very lightly...That should get you riding one-foot in an ugly way....Then to make it pretty, you just have to do it a whole bunch. But if you're trying to stand, I assume you already know this skill?
Wheelwalk: You will not learn this skill until you get away from supports. But you really can't get away from supports until you have some pretty decent muscle memory. Toe-heel, BIG strokes with each kick, contact the toe to the tire very high up near the fork. Hold onto something and realize that this is very possible, though at first it feels like trying to learn a unicycle - impossible.
Go to a tennis court, perhaps. Just a little bit of variation in slope or condition of the ground may be a real hassle, and you don't want to get into a habit of leaning more to one side than the other, so hold on to the fence with each hand - that is, switch off. Most people seem to recommend raising your seat. Makes no difference to me, but give it a try, why not?
Try to do it EVENLY. And at different speeds. Slow, slow, slow, at first. Be patient, you know how muscle memory works. Spend the first day just gettin those feet to work it as evenly as possible. After a few days, assuming you have and have had time to work on it, try speeding it up. Hell, try sprinting! Of course, the wheelwalk is very slow usually, and impressive to the degree that it is kept EVEN, not how fast it is done. Nevertheless, vary what you are doing. Try holding each heel at the end of the wheel at the end of the kick to stop the tire. That's a useful skill as well. This trick is so, so satisfying, and I'm glad it's the first one I learned. Repeat: It truly is the first trick I learned - so anyone can do it. It did take work though...
When your feet work a little bit, start from a wall or something, and head out into the abyss so you have nothing to hang on to. Like everyone else, you will fail miserably at first - it'll feel totally new. But soon, you'll get four kicks in. RELISH that - I think that's important. Because if you can do four, I swear you can get five if your lucky. But the next day, you'll get four several times, and maybe five or six once! Just keep noticing that you're improving. From that point on, for me, it was basically like moving up an average of one or two kicks a day for the next two weeks, and then I became consistent. But I did practice it a lot each day, like I said. You may learn more or less quickly than that, but it won't be THAT much more or less quickly. This is the method that worked for me. They say "lean back." I say "Don't Lean Forward Too Much."
One foot wheel walk - It's pretty different and to my dismay, the wheel walk was not a perfect prerequisite. Seems like you could learn them in either order, but I suppose I got the "BODY" part down from the wheel walk. The feet are different. Kick and drag back. Some people gave me excellent advice in two threads that are still up on these latter two tricks in the ARTICLES & TUTORIALS section - the advice was good enough to teach me and I am probably not capable of offering anything better.

Last edited by IntoIt; 2010-12-20 at 12:25 AM.
IntoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 12:28 AM   #3
IntoIt
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to IntoIt
Wait - I don't think I read the OP properly. :\

Last edited by IntoIt; 2010-12-20 at 12:29 AM.
IntoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 04:06 AM   #4
justtysen
Coasts Too Much

Quote:
Unless you want to make things hard and learn coasting and standup coasting in the mean time, you should be transitioning to standup wheel-walking from one-footed wheel-walking not riding one-footed. That way one foot is on the tire when you stand up, which keeps the unicycle from rolling out from under you.

I think it's good to practice standup wheel-walking before working on the transition though. Hold on to a wall or pole while you get in position and then try to go from there. It makes it much easier starting from a position of good posture and balance, instead of immediately trying to correct for the bending necessary in the process of standing up.

Last edited by justtysen; 2010-12-20 at 04:07 AM.
justtysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 12:57 AM   #5
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Start from idle?

+1 866-UNI-CYCL (ph.)
+1 855-UNI-CYCL (fax)
leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, freestyle, tricks