Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials > New Article/Tutorial Request

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-08-30, 06:38 PM   #1
Richard12

HELP my uni crank is loose

my crank is loose. please help. is it called a crank anyway? ive been unicycling for about 5 days in a row now inspired by a cyclist in the next town who has not (or more than 1 wheeled) bike. i realised the crank wont come tighter unless i get a grip but its a tight fit. also if i do that it doesnt look aligned. look on my photos to check it out more. thanks everyone
Old 2010-08-30, 09:18 PM   #2
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
You need a socket wrench to tighten the nut that holds your crank on.

Before you put the crank on you should clean the inside of the crank and the square taper of the hub and add a bit of grease. Those old steel crank arms can be tough to seat properly so it might help to also set the other side of the hub where it connects to the crank on a chunk of wood and put another one on the crank you are installing. Give it a couple good whacks right over the hub to get the crank firmly on there before tightening.

If it still comes loose after that your hub/crank interface might be too worn and you may have to get a different set of cranks.

you could also try blue locktite on the treads of the nut to keep things tight.
Old 2010-10-05, 01:15 AM   #3
UNIDRAGON212
Trials...Jumpy Jumpy

This has happened to me before. There is a chance the seat is on backwards. Try turning the seat around. Either that or locktite does work well.
UNIDRAGON212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crank, loose, uni