Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2008-04-12, 10:02 AM   #16
TattooedBandit
I want to play a game!

Send a message via MSN to TattooedBandit
I got some of these. Their great. Good size and weight and won't break. They can be used outdoors without getting damaged. When they get dirty you can just wipe them clean. They're soft and smooth and don't roll far away when dropped. They are extremely popular and I would highly recommend them. I wasn't too sure about getting acrylic balls but when I started using them I was very impressed. CircusStuff is good to buy from, I've had no problems with them yet.

"What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?" - Captain Spaulding - The Devil's Rejects

Last edited by TattooedBandit; 2008-04-12 at 10:07 AM.
TattooedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 10:18 AM   #17
cathwood
Life's a beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedBandit
I got some of these. Their great. Good size and weight and won't break. They can be used outdoors without getting damaged. When they get dirty you can just wipe them clean. They're soft and smooth and don't roll far away when dropped. They are extremely popular and I would highly recommend them. I wasn't too sure about getting acrylic balls but when I started using them I was very impressed. CircusStuff is good to buy from, I've had no problems with them yet.
I've just bought some nice pink ones. they are lovely.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:24 AM   #18
Triball
Pimped out

I made my own beanbags. Made out out of blue and orange denim and filled with millet. I underfilled them, so catching with my head and feet is easier. They do get dirty, but I just put them in the washer to clean them.
Old 2008-04-12, 10:38 AM   #19
innes
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedBandit
I got some of these.
They look the same as the DX Chroma 68 I recommended. They work really well.

Innes
innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 09:01 AM   #20
TattooedBandit
I want to play a game!

Send a message via MSN to TattooedBandit
DX and MMX are very similar but MMX are a little softer.

"What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?" - Captain Spaulding - The Devil's Rejects
TattooedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 04:53 AM   #21
graz
Unicyclist

I have a set of 5 of these balls and they have lasted me. You cant get any better than hand made in Australia
graz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 05:55 AM   #22
Dingo
Unicyclist

I don't know if you would be able to get ahold of these in Australia, but I use Dube Squosh Beanbags. They are almost identical to the picture you posted. Great quality, but U.S. based...
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 07:58 AM   #23
ezas
Unicyclist

I like these from Dube: http://www.dube.com/beanbag/peach-juggling-beanbags.php

I checked and Dube ships Internationally.

If you want the best it's silicone balls but they bounce and they are expensive. Unless you plan to practice 5-ball in sand you want something that doesn't bounce.

Dube has been selling juggling equipment for 30 years that I know of.

Another long time vendor of juggling equipment is Todd Smith but his ball/bean bag selection is not that good. More known for his Clubs than balls and bean bags. http://www.toddsmith.com/

Also Renegade Juggling: http://www.renegadejuggling.com/Web_...v3k/index.html again known best for their clubs, but also carry balls/bean bags.

One last thing, very good practice balls can be made from low bounce tennis balls. You don't want foam balls you want pressureless balls. They use them for teaching tennis so the ball moves slower. They sell them by the sack at sporting good stores.

Take the balls, cut a small, maybe 1/2" slit in one of the seams. Just a large enough cut to get a funnel into. Now fill with rice, I used short grain brown rice. Rice gives a nice weight. Get them pretty full, but you don't have to jam the rice in. Fill, roll around a little in your hands, bounce the ball on the table a time or to, to settle the rice, and fill a little more and you are good for that ball. That whole process should only take about 30 seconds a ball.

Then kind of push on the seam so that the 'mouth' puckers open a bit, a dab of glue on the edges (I used goop) and then let go and the seam will go back together. After its glued you will not even be able to see the cut anymore.

The advantage of this is you get lots of balls for very little money and they have a very dead bounce. The fuzz helps them slide past each other when you are learning to release 3 balls from one hand, and best of all since you have a bunch of them if they do roll away from a collision, just pick up another ball. Then when you run out of balls at your feet, just collect them all up again. I found balls that were day-glo yellow and orange so they were colorful enough. It took me less than two hours to make over 10 balls (I think it was 12).

To me there is no downside to these balls, except if I was performing and for performing (not that I did a lot of it) I liked 4" stage balls. But for practicing I liked the smaller size of the tennis balls. 3" is kinda standard, and small balls are typically 2.5 inches, so tennis balls at 2.75 are right in the middle.

Also juggling four is good practice for learning five. Use an outside in pattern and alternate throws. Keep the pattern narrow and people watching will not even be able to tell you are not crossing. Practice this pattern high to get the accuracy you need to juggle five, and practice low to develop hand speed. There are also a couple of crossing 4-ball patterns that I never learned.

Last edited by ezas; 2009-10-13 at 08:05 AM.
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 12:36 PM   #24
Bondo
Unicyclist

In the olden days before silicone balls we used LACROSSE balls. cheap, available in most sporting goods stores and came in high-bounce and low bounce.
...and you had two colors to choose from; orange and white.

Nowdays you should invest in silicone balls.
Beanbags are great to learn numbers, but you should practice with real balls from time to time to improve accuracy.

I just bought some glo-balls and love them!
Old 2009-10-13, 09:13 PM   #25
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
sportco bags, ahh that's the life.

I think they're worth the little extra you pay, and she WILL replace them if they break at a seam, usually doesn't matter how old they are either. Now if the material itself rips, I imagine they're too old : P

I'll see your glowballs and raise you a new set of torches I got today ; )

anyway, if you're juggling 5 ball and less, you can pick pretty much anything.
mmx plus are my favorite for lower numbers, baglady or sportco for number bags.
russian balls you can make at home, if you like that style.
Old 2009-10-13, 09:31 PM   #26
tholub
Totally Doable

Juggling balls, is that what you get after a long day of MUni?
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 10:45 PM   #27
Peripatet
Sometime one-wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to Peripatet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
In the olden days before silicone balls we used LACROSSE balls. cheap, available in most sporting goods stores and came in high-bounce and low bounce.
...and you had two colors to choose from; orange and white.
I love the lacrosse balls. In college, I used to take the shortcut across the lacrosse field to get to class, in part because I could count on finding abandoned balls. I still have a good supply of them.
Peripatet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 06:04 AM   #28
fireshow

Juggling For the Complete Klutz"

Amazon.com: Juggling for the Complete Klutz: Toys & Games
fireshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 06:56 AM   #29
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshow View Post
if you can find an oooold book, those were actually surprisingly good. The new ones stay square, and stink. : ( I had a few sets of these when I was learning. Fine to learn with, but needs an immediate upgrade even if you're only doing 4 ball
Old 2013-08-26, 07:31 PM   #30
subzerowholesale

Lightbulb for sale 70mm clear acrylic contact juggling balls

We are current liquidating our excess inventory of Juggling Balls.

We have for sale 70mm clear acrylic contact juggling balls for sale at a great price.
Check it out!! --->
subzerowholesale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balls, buy, good, juggling, quality