Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-09-04, 03:36 AM   #16
UNO
Unicyclist

HARPER - that's awesome.. where is it? how much did it cost you to put together. Also what happened to the one you built with off the shelf parts? Blue Shift is beautiful.
Old 2009-09-04, 04:14 AM   #17
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ħǻřрέŗ View Post
I have all of these zipped in .ps, .pdf, and .dwg formats. Let me know if you want them. You can also search this forum and find the history of geared unicycles from inception to production.
Harper! Can you send the files to me? (just send everything you have). cd at bluetreesoft dot com. I was just admiring your work a few days ago (someone twittered me it asking if I had seen your site, which, of course, I already have).

I'm incredibly interested in geared hubs, and in manufacturing my own. I would love to make a CVT, but the use of belts would probably slip.

I now have a mini-machine shop in my garage, so I'm hoping to learn enough in order to build some sort of geared unicycle. Currently, I'm a pretty green machinist.

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 06:15 AM   #18
ħǻřрέŗ
What do you see back there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO View Post
HARPER - that's awesome.. where is it? how much did it cost you to put together. Also what happened to the one you built with off the shelf parts? Blue Shift is beautiful.
I have BlueShift in my basement. It has one of the original hubs and still works fine. Uni.5 I think is still owned by Bill Gilbertson, Gilby's dad. The parts costs are listed on the website. I guess I put $3600 of time and parts into the pair of prototypes. A job shop could do it for less, especially in this economy and especially in a depressed industrial area like Detroit. I think Steve Howard said he could make a run of 10 or more for around $400 each when he still had a shop but that seemed low to me.

The production prototypes ended up in a couple of different places. Steve reworked one but kept the Chinese gears in it. It's presently broken in Arizona with a guy who rode the RTL but I think Mike Scalisi still owns it. It needs to be properly reworked with stock gears, good bushings, and a hardened axle.

The other production hub Dave Stockton built one of his super Coker wheels on. We gave that one to Kris Holm. HardCoreCokerRider had it in NYC and it busted. I rebuilt it with stock gears and proper sintered bronze bushings. I made a 17-4PH SS hardened axle for it, too. It went to Ottawa with Ryan Atkins for a while but was shipped to Arizona to be used to train for RTL when the other one broke. I think that one still works and it would surprise me if it is damaged in any way. It should be very robust in its present form.

The history of all of these hubs is floating around in the RSU forum and can easily be searched.

"6 Beers? This is Africa, we have that for lunch, then we clear the lions out of the streets so we can pick up gold nuggets." - GILD

Last edited by ħǻřрέŗ; 2009-09-04 at 06:22 AM.
ħǻřрέŗ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 08:40 AM   #19
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
(or Davinci?)
Oops - it's called Nuvinci.
And no, the jackshaft thing wasn't my idea - I was just pointing out that a bike-type fixed-gear hub COULD be made to work on a unicycle if used in that way, rather than trying to convert it into a unicycle hub.

That externally-geared unicycle you mentioned was owned (and built?) by a German or Austrian lady I think. It had quite a high gear compared with the Harper or Schlumpf hubs. There was a thread on here some time ago about it breaking, but I haven't heard anything since.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 08:59 AM   #20
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

if you mean this: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=26

this was built and owend by jogi (member name), but most of time it's been ridden by enaddi. both are from germany

it's broken now, because of some "abuse"... (i think somewhere at the axle)

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf

Last edited by turtle; 2009-09-04 at 09:02 AM.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 11:18 AM   #21
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

That's the one. Thanks Turtle.

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 01:19 PM   #22
rvs
Luck is not a factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
if you mean this: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=26

this was built and owend by jogi (member name), but most of time it's been ridden by enaddi. both are from germany

it's broken now, because of some "abuse"... (i think somewhere at the axle)
I filmed that hub at unicon.

Last edited by rvs; 2009-09-04 at 01:20 PM.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 01:31 PM   #23
redwelly
Sam Wakeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
It had quite a high gear compared with the Harper or Schlumpf hubs.
Yes, it has a ratio of 1:2.5. Nadine was riding it on a 29er with 175mm cranks.

I tried but it was more of a beast than I could handle. I saw a few people (other than its owner Nadine) manage to get it moving though - Chuck, Tony Melton maybe?

Sam
Old 2009-09-04, 04:51 PM   #24
pedrotejada
Europe Winter RoadTrip coming soon!

Send a message via ICQ to pedrotejada Send a message via AIM to pedrotejada Send a message via MSN to pedrotejada Send a message via Skype™ to pedrotejada
Exactly this one! At UNICON I asked a guy to try it... a beast! Does he have the project? Or he keeps it!?

I think I can build one of those here to have some fun! I may try to PM he!

Thanks!

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Gobble, Gobble!
pedrotejada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 08:03 PM   #25
Robuni
Mi no habla

my grandma has this hub on her sun bike(those ones with really low frames for bad knees) and it shifts amazing when you shift there is no delay like chain shifting its just straight onto the next gear
Fighter of the Night man
Uhh ahhahh
Champion of the sun
Uhh ahhahh
Master of karate and friendship…for everyone
Robuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, geared, hub, internally, internally geared hub