Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-06-13, 05:27 AM   #1
saam
Muni Muni Muni

Smile "Unicyclist" to Unicyclist - My Muni Ride.

I've been a "unicyclist" for the last 6 months, but now i'm a real unicyclist again.

I’m currently in the middle of my exams at uni. I had finished one exam and had 9 days until the next one so thought I’d take the day off from studying to spend with my girlfriend. We had it all planned, movies, lunch, shopping... then she got called into work last minute and had to reschedule. But this wasn’t stopping me taking the day off. I haven’t ridden for about 6 months and lately I’ve been looking at my muni and been itching to go out for a spin. So I thought today’s the day! I was planning on going in the morning but it has been a bit cold lately so I slept in till lunch, had some BBQ and icecream and left.

I was so eager to go that it wasn’t till I was all padded up and riding down the road that I realised I had forgotten my riding shorts. Don’t worry I wasn’t starkas, I just had boardies and boxers on. After I few minutes of thinking how surprisingly comfortable everything down there was, I decided to carry on.

Its about a 3.5km ride to the trail. The view from the top of the only road climb with Brisbane city in the background.

Riding to the trail...

Nearly there...

This is my stop.

I didn’t really know where I was going to go but I thought I’d start by riding/hiking up to channel 9.

Hitting the dirt for the first time in 6 months.

It felt good...

Being away from my desk and outside muniing I was free...

I could even taste the freedom!

The first of a few offroad climbs. Far too steep/loose for me to ride, so...
Old 2009-06-13, 05:28 AM   #2
saam
Muni Muni Muni

Start pushing!

Got a bit bored walking so I thought I’d try my new “tree ride” trick, still haven’t perfected it and got a bit stuck.

On my way up the hill I discovered something!...

Arhhh that’s better.

Still pushing...

Mr Muni got a bit light headed from all the climbing so he rested for awhile with his feet up.

It flattened out and I finally got a chance to ride.

Nearly at channel 9.

Channel 9!

To be continued...
Old 2009-06-13, 05:28 AM   #3
saam
Muni Muni Muni

Decided I’d have an explore of the trails on the other side of channel 9. I had seen a couple of Fire and Rescue trucks and Ambulances parked here one day when I was out for a run and had assumed a biker had got into a bit of trouble on the trails. After the first 50m I knew that must have been it. It was the longest steepest fire trail type track I’d ever seen.

I thought “what the hell I’ll give it a go” and within 2m I was off and sliding 6m on my feet and backside. I looked up and saw two hikers coming my way so I knew if I got into trouble someone would be around to call the fire and rescue back. I slowly continued on, riding about 10m then purposely running myself into a tree to stop. It was steep but it was fun. I was Mr Jelly Legs by the bottom!

I found heaps of nice tracks at the bottom of the infernal hill.

After plodding along some nice single track I found a peaceful little stream.

It was slowing running.

My new desktop background!

After 2hrs it was time to head home, that meant it was time to climb that jolly large hill... not fun.

I heard a helicopter and was hoping it was coming to take me home so I didn’t have to climb the hill... but turns out it was only a channel 9 chopper, dang!

I found a pretty flower on the way home.

Once I got home and had my post ride shower (surprisingly painless despite the lack of riding shorts) my girlfriend came over to take me out to see a show (the flower was also a hit ). So all in all I got to sleep in, have ice cream, go for a muni AND go out with my girl. Does it get any better? (minus remembering bike shorts)

Distance: about 16km
Time: 3hrs 20mins
Rig: 2005 KH 24” w/ nimbus ISIS hub and moments (150’s)
Undies colour: grey

All you “unicyclists” out there I encourage you to get out and ride. I know it seems like a lot of effort or a long boring ride to the trails, but go for it, it’s worth it!

Have fun guys!

Last edited by saam; 2009-06-13 at 05:30 AM.
saam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 02:57 PM   #4
Unicorn
Unicyclist

Great Write-Up and Nice Pics!

I really enjoyed your write-up allong withthe pictures! Your write up plus a few beers or some single malt at the end is what I consider the perfect day!

Unicorn

The Unicycling Commune
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 04:45 PM   #5
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
Ditto! Fun write-up!

Cheers,

Wolfgang.
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 11:43 PM   #6
saam
Muni Muni Muni

Thanks guys. I had almost as much fun taking pictures as I did riding. But I tell you what, my quads are still aching from climbing those hills and I've had some pretty bad DOMS for the last few days. Stairs are just starting to no longer scare me.

I just talked to my brother and turns out we're doing a team half ironman triathlon in August. I'm helping him out by doing the running leg. I haven't run in a few months but this will motivate me to get out and run, perhaps with a bit of uni cross-training

Any resent "unicyclist" to unicyclist converts out there?
Old 2009-06-15, 01:10 AM   #7
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Can it get better? Finish the ride with a quart of chocolate milk. Mmmmm!

Nice post and pictures. I really liked the flower one.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, ride, unicyclist