View Single Post
Old 2015-08-16, 05:30 AM   #10
Catsmeat
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Catsmeat, get away from that wall, you're wasting time! Just use the wall to help you mount, then pretend you already know how to ride, fall forward toward open pavement and start pedaling. You will fall off the first 50 or 100 times, of course, but you probably won't get hurt, especially if you get away from the wall.

Riding and freemounting (usually in that order) are definitely the first two skills you want to acquire as a unicyclist. It would be best to get your freemount working reliably before you start trying to learn it on both sides. At that point, trying to become ambidextrous might be a good idea if you don't feel like acquiring yet another new skill.

This is all just my opinion, of course, and based on choices I made and my resulting successes and failures. First I learned to idle with my left foot down. Before even trying to idle with my right foot down, I learned one-footed idling on my left foot... but YMMV.
Coincidentally enough, I realized that the wall was hindering more than helping me during my practice session tonight, right before I logged in and read your post. As soon as I resolved to ride as far as I could without the wall, I did a stretch of ~20 feet before I UPDed.

I should have been more clear in my OP. When I wrote "mount with either foot," I really meant "mount with either my left side or right side facing the wall, with my left foot down." Shortly after I wrote this post, I forced myself to start mounting with my left side facing the wall, which means I can practice in both directions. It was really hard at first, mainly because I spent so much time favoring the other side, but I got it.

I practiced for about three hours today and made tremendous progress. Today's the first day I felt a spent a fair amount of time actually riding, not just trying to ride. Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds. This is the most addictive thing I've ever done, no question.
Catsmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.19302 seconds with 9 queries