View Single Post
Old 2018-09-21, 06:18 PM   #39
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Tackling long, slow climbs

Hey everyone! Iíve been training for the Mount Diablo Challenge for the past couple months, basically riding up as many hills as possible, and making a special effort to find long hills with similar gradient. Iíve been riding hills in the foothills nearby, and I have had one training ride on Mount Diablo itself. I plan on riding a 29Ē wheel with 125mm cranks for the race.

Iíve found that the long duration climb (Mt. Diablo is 11.2 miles to the summit) is a much different animal than the steep, short climbs Iím more used to. I canít just mash up this hill and expect my momentum to carry me through; my lungs would fall out halfway through the first section.

I summited the mountain in 2 hours and 25 minutes on my dry run, but this required more than 10 stops along the way to catch my breath. I would love to cut down on the number of rest stops, but how do I maintain enough momentum to keep moving, yet slow enough that I donít max out my V02? Iím wondering if there is some technique that Iím missing, or do I just need to keep working on my endurance?

Page generated in 0.05555 seconds with 9 queries