View Single Post
Old 2011-07-29, 01:53 PM   #5158
aspenmike
unicycling albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandisimo View Post
I finally got some rides in with scenery to rival Aspen Mike up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was up there for the wedding of college friend (and unicyclist, Heartrider on forums) and got in a few rides. Another friend came along on his bike, and he was able to take a few picts of us along the way.

The afternoon after I flew in I just rode around the bottom of the Jackson Hole Ski resort. They have a 'bike park' that has some fun downhills that we rode a bit. The lift was about to close so we didn't pay the $25 fee to ride the chairlift, but they didn't yell at us for riding up and poaching the downhills. The green trail was super fun on my geared up on my 26"guni, the blue run had a bunch of jumps that were kind of fun to catch some air on, although I never cleared the table tops. I figured I'd come back here and pay for more runs, but ended up doing more back country riding instead.

We had all day Friday so we made some sandwiches and headed over to the Snow King area by the town of Jackson, Cache Creek trailhead. These trails were great, the sun was shining on the snow capped mountains, and the fields were just bursting with flowers. We rode down Put-Put and then back along Hagen. There was one section of Hagen that was a bit technical (see video) but mostly both were smooth single track on rolling hills. I then busted up Ferrin's Trail, this was a tough climb of 1500ft, but pretty much all doable, with a lot of switch backs giving it a reasonable grade. The climb was worth it, with another flower-packed meadow at the top with mountain views. I started heading down a dirt road towards town but then realized this was a horrible waste of vertical and turned around to go back down the single-track of Ferrin's', which was a blast. I did the top part geared up (seen in video) and most of the steeper, lower hill geared down. The views southwest were also amazing, and if I went again, I would try the Game Creek trails, which would link up a pretty epic loop (map of trails here). My ride this day worked out to about 15miles, GPS'ed here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5selkNb-N1w

Saturday I hiked the 7mile 4000ft climb up Jackson Hole ski resort with my friend. Much of this route is probably ridable, but I enjoyed the hike, and probably soaked in the amazing views more as a hiker than a rider. Of course I had the uni on my shoulder. It took us about 3hrs to hike up, but just 35min for me to ride down, mostly geared up, averaging 12mph. I wish I had a brake, my legs are still sore from that ride.

An amazing place to ride (or do any outdoor activities)!
Roland
Very nice Roland, high country MUni is pretty awesome, and Jackson Hole is another spectacular place to ride. Do they have a network of trails off the top? Thanks for riding and sharing.
aspenmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02691 seconds with 8 queries