View Single Post
Old 2017-02-07, 08:58 PM   #8
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Why not? all Information is on the Qu-Ax webside.
https://www.qu-ax.de/en/product/qx-giraffe-alloy
That should have occurred to me, duh. If I knew the information and the other vendor had a (much) better price, why not? But if the price is in the same ball park, I'm going to buy it directly from the maker, if I can. Support the manufacturers and designers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz
If it's a good as the other QX unicycles, it shall be a great giraffe.
True. But I still don't think it has an aluminum frame. Missing from the Qu-Ax product description is the word aluminum (or the British aluminium). The only word used is "alloy". That meas it could be steel, which I believe is an alloy on its own. More likely, it's chromoly. But who knows, since it doesn't say? Might be the same material on everybody else's giraffes. Also I'd like to see a little more detail of that frame. Can't even tell what the crown looks like...

But a steel alloy makes a lot more sense for a frame with that size of tubing. I think aluminum at that size would be quick to snap, just above the bottom bracket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Interesting - I assumed it was more of an issue with heavy use, as most people seem to happily use single chain giraffes. I actually own a twin chain (bought s/h, it was what was available), but wasn't sure if there was a real benefit.
I think the two main benefits are:
  1. Looks cooler, more complex, and more professional
  2. Torque is more evenly distributed throughout the drivetrain, including the frame
So a dual chain giraffe should be stronger and more reliable. You are much, much less likely to be grounded by a broken chain, which matters a lot if you're a performer. But it's also definitely going to be heavier, which may "outweigh" the desire to have it. If the frame is beefy enough, it shouldn't be an issue unless you are a heavy person, and/or you're doing lots of catapult-style mounts or other use, such as riding people on your shoulders, etc.

My first "owned" unicycle was a Schwinn Giraffe, which has a very well-made frame. I learned how to do a one-foot catapult/rolling mount onto it, which led to a bent seatpost, but never any issues with the frame or drivetrain. 5' giraffes are less prone to frame problems because they are shorter, which also allows them to be lighter. But of course they aren't as tall...

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2017-02-07 at 09:01 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06576 seconds with 9 queries