View Single Post
Old 2019-06-06, 12:57 PM   #51
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
Have you any info about Mad4one 27.5 suprlight rim? 450g for a Muni rim is possible?!?
I hate that everyone uses the term "Muni" for everything from riding a gravel road to hard downhill. If you are doing bigger drops regularly, it might not be strong enough. It's also fairly narrow if I remember correctly. If you want a fast setup for going up and down gravel roads, probably a great setup with a 2.3"-2.5" wide tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouin-bouin
Cranks :
is KH Spirit 137 enought or 150mm better with a 180 disc brake ?
Depends on your riding style, and what you want. I personally would never go bigger than 140 mm, since I feel there is very deminishing returns going bigger, and have been very happy with 125mm. I feel a big difference in ease of speed between 150mm and 140mm, but not much in terms of control. 125mm vs 140mm, I definetely feel a big difference in both control and speed, so it's a "horses for courses" thing.

You never run out of braking power with a disk brake, just out of control. So if you are good with the brake, you can make short cranks work. The shorter the crank, the more speed you need to carry for technical sections. So it definetely takes more commitment. It's apparently a similar thing with DH Mountainbikes. A race setup doesn't like a 70% pace. But that also means that your setup can "predetermine" your speed a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunstrasen
Mtb DH and Freeride have proven that 32H is working fine since years under real rough conditions.
For a lot of people, 32H will be fine on a unicycle. I've also met some riders that tried 32H and destroyed their wheels quickly, but those are relatively harsh riders. For my budget, the weight saving is not worth the extra money, especially factorng in a bit of risk trying new things. But everyone elses willingness to spend money may differ.

Instead of spending money on lightweight stuff, the thing I'm saving up for is a hope brake. I think a brake that can be modulated and setup really well (Independend reach and pressure point adjustment is a dream), will do much more for me.

Saddle, pedals, tires, brake are the key items in my eye. Those are the points you touch/touch the ground. Everything else is further down in the priority list, even under backpack, pads, helmet. Example: My Nimbus Oracle frame has a fair bit of flex. I don't love that. But getting a helmet that really fits well has improved my comfort while riding a lot more than a different frame ever would.

Page generated in 0.03059 seconds with 9 queries