View Single Post
Old 2007-03-12, 01:58 PM   #10
plumsie
A juggler.

Send a message via MSN to plumsie Send a message via Yahoo to plumsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kington99
It's a valid point, but these are the cranks Kris himself has to ride everyday, doing all that insane stuff you see on the videos. At certain points his life depends on his cranks not breaking. Reports of breaking the 07 set are very rare, infact I cant remeber hearing anyone claim to have broken them, compared to the relatively high number of failures of the 05/06 cranks (admitedly mostly with the earlier cranks made of thinner material).
The old ones have had a few years though for the stories of them breaking to get out and it is well known that there was a manufacturing defect with the batch which the broken ones came from. Yes Kris rides these probably daily and he does some insane stuff but he is also a business man. I bought a KH05 on the basis that it was being sold cheap on UDC, by making the hub and cranks cheaper the price of the uni comes down and more people are going to buy them, hence he makes more profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kington99
Modelling these cranks numerically to find which is stronger really wouldn't be that hard, if I didn't have to get this damn project finished by the end of the week it would be an interesting exercise.
I don't know if I trust computer modelled simulations for something like this, I would rather someone set up a jig to hold a hub as if it was in a unicycle and then test it by doing static and dynamic load tests to see what static and dynamic loads cause a failure. Then we would know for certain which is stronger.

I know this comes across as though I don't like/trust Kris when in reality I do like KH products. I don't agree with people saying what is better with no scientific backing for what they are saying (this isn't directed at you kington99 just a general comment about the forum). The new moment hub and cranks may well be stronger but to say they are, based on a manufacturing defect and the fact they are "new" is wrong in my eyes.

Plumsie
plumsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05668 seconds with 9 queries