View Single Post
Old 2014-10-21, 01:51 AM   #8
cyclepath
Unicyclist

The uni on which I learned broke and was tossed. It was such a horrendous piece of garbage that it should have been thrown out the minute my dad brought it home from a garage sale. But I was in 8th grade at the time and didn't know any different, and I had just watched a friend of mine learn to ride and I wanted one. So I learned on this awful thing with nylon lollipop bearings and one-piece crank on a 20" wheel. I don't know how it was possible for anyone to learn on that awful thing. I finally twisted the cranks in half and we threw it away.

At that point, dad bought me a new 24". It had real ball bearings in the cranks which was much nicer because the crank didn't slop around. The wheel was actually responsive. By today's standards it's still on the cheap side, but at the time it was a real nice machine and I was happy to have it. That was 30 years ago now and it's still the only one I have. For a lot of years I didn't ride much. I'd only get it out once or twice a year. This year I got inspired to ride more, so I dug it out, cleaned it up, and put a new tire and tube on it. I haven't ridden as much as I wanted to, but it's more than it has been in years. I did put a KH Freeride seat on it which needed a different seat post also. I'll keep the old seat and post around for the sake of it, but I'll never use it.

Lately I've been itching for another one, but only because I want a bigger wheel size. I'm not sure whether I want a 29" or if I should just jump straight to a 36". But I'll never let go of my old 24". It was my first real unicycle.

Page generated in 0.03394 seconds with 9 queries