View Single Post
Old 2018-04-11, 08:23 AM   #6
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
Actually, I have a question about the whole event. As I've never gone to a Unicon before, and I mostly picked up my unicycle to do commuting, would it make sense for me to apply for a competitor spot?
Yes!!! Not everyone is super competitive. It's like running a marathon- the vast majority of people are there to have fun, beat personal bests, see how they rate against their friends/age group, rather than necessarily get on the podium.

Unicon is ''-CON" for convention. It is also a chance to meet unicyclists from around the world, attend non-competition rides and workshops and social events.

Quote:
1. I'd be bringing my 29" KH with brake, but it's got the fat tire; would that be an accepted unicycle, and which categories?
It depends on what you are entered in. If it is the longer road racing events (100km and Marathon), then a 29" is considered 'Standard Class'. In the 10km race, it is 'Unlimited Class'.

Quote:
2. I haven't technically trained for any of the events; is there some kind of process or qualifier I would need to go first, or is it just 'show up and participate'?
You are free to participate in most events. Some events have qualifying but or national selection if there are large numbers of competitors.

Quote:
3. I saw the list of events; what are the most popular ones for spectators? How many people are there usually for each event?
Depends what you like watching. Artistic freestyle tends to draw the biggest number of spectators, although street/flatland and the team events (hockey/basketball) also draw big numbers. Racing events are good to watch, but it's hard to follow the race as we do not have the resources for race cameras/motorbikes to follow the riders. The 10km is a multi-lap race, and is one of the largest events at Unicon, so will be good viewing.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.26208 seconds with 8 queries