View Single Post
Old 2015-08-17, 11:51 AM   #1
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Which v-brakes fit Magura mounts?

I have a Nightrider 36er, and I was planning to put a v-brake on it based on ideas in this thread.

The brake which I ordered, an Avid SD-3, arrived today, but it doesn't fit as well as I had hoped. There are two problems:
  1. It only has 102mm arms, so doesn't clear the top of the tyre by as much as I'd like. This is an easy fix, just find a brake with longer arms (some are listed as 107mm).
  2. It seems like the rim is too wide (42mm) for this particular brake when it's mounted on the bottom holes of the Magura mounts. The sections where the pads mount aren't parallel by the time the pads are hard up against the rim, and the tops of the arms are sticking way out. It's even worse when the brake is in the "off" position.

Does anyone who's done this before know of brakes which fit a 42mm rim? I'd prefer one which curves inward towards the top to follow the frame profile. I realised today that other unis which can take v-brakes stock (Coker and QuAx) use narrower rims which probably makes this less of a problem.

Another thing that occurred to me is that I'd need to remove both brake arms when removing the wheel. Unhooking the cable won't allow the brake to open enough to clear the tyre because the pads get caught on the frame. A bit of a hassle, but it is what it is.

I'm close to throwing in the towel and just ordering a set of Maguras. I already have a mounting kit which came with the uni ready to go. I'd go with an external disk but it's extra expense for a new set of cranks and I'm not sure that I want the extra Q factor.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05619 seconds with 9 queries