View Single Post
Old 2011-05-08, 03:09 PM   #8
mark williamson
Unicyclist

I'll weigh in since I have a 29er and a 36er and I use them both, though they're Nimbus not KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcamguy View Post
1. I also am a shorter person at about 5" 6". Will my short legs (30" inseam) prevent me from riding the KH36?
I do OK with that inseam on a UDC 36 (different frame, but still...) and I have to squeeze a T7 handlebar in there. If you want a T7 or any other goop that takes up space between seat and frame, you'll maybe want to double-check the measurements still fit for you. I understand the newer handlebars don't take as much vertical space.

Quote:
2. I tend to ride offroad, which is why I am leaning towards the KH29. Has anyone had experience with the KH36 offroad? Is it durable enough?
Depends on the kind of offroad you do; can't see it being any trouble at all for zooming down fire roads and paths. Lots of people take their 36ers successfully offroad. Doing jumping or drops is more difficult for a big wheel to withstand but also very possible in moderation, plenty of people hop around on their Cokers, just be sensible.

Quote:
3. I don't anticipate doing great distances (mostly offroad or around town). Maybe 25 - 40 miles a day (and this would be rare). Can the KH29 handle this?
You can certainly go that far on a 29er - you can even go quite fast on one. Shorter cranks (within reason) help, maybe you should look at some double-holed ones. But distances are more pleasant and relaxed to ride on a 36 IMO. OTOH, a 29er feels supremely nippy and agile compared to a 36, it's much easier to break into an idle or dodge about.

Quote:
4. Can the KH29 fully replace my KH24 as my MUni?
This is outside my experience but the really technical offroad / natural trials riders seem to want wheels smaller than 29". If you just like to tank along trails then the 29er might actually take over for you - you can still roll over stuff and hop things on a 29er but it's much faster in a straight line, you sacrifice some durability and bounce in return.

Quote:
5. And my most important question. What would you guess the average comfortable speed of both the KH29 and KH36?
When I'm on my 29er and not particularly hurrying I think I cruise at 8-9mph these days, though when I was riding more regularly I probably was a few mph faster. I used to be able to ride reasonably confidently up to 15mph but that involves spinning very fast, so I needed a smooth surface and even then only did it for a short distance.

On my 36er I think I cruise maybe 2-3mph faster than the 29er. I've hit 17mph, which you'll notice isn't much faster as a top speed - not sure I'd *want* faster than that anyhow! But even at approximately the same speed, on a long straight road it feels smoother and easier to cruise along on the 36. The 29" feels twitchy and tiring in comparison. But the 36 gets a lot more stressful than the 29er when I don't have the luxury of plenty of space to ride in though, e.g. in town.

I'm glad to have both; 29 is a good all-purpose tool, but I wouldn't want to miss blasting on the 36er when it's appropriate.

Generally I think it's fair to say that 29ers are more flexible - you can more easily ride a wider range of things. But you can often manage the same stuff on a 36 using more skill and there's nothing like the feel of a big wheel when it really comes into its own.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

Last edited by mark williamson; 2011-05-08 at 03:14 PM.
mark williamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03279 seconds with 8 queries