View Single Post
Old 2014-10-08, 03:37 AM   #17
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Unlike a bike, a uni is subjected to all sorts of rotational force when we pedal, or so it was written in some dark corner of this forum.
Possibly by me, in talking about my first Muni-specific frame; more about that below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniOrBust View Post
It certainly would be amazing to find that bamboo is a superior frame material.
Yes, it wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholub View Post
A "bamboo" uni can be made very stiff, in the same way that Calfee makes its bamboo bikes; by turning it into a composite. At that point it basically behaves like carbon fiber, and you can use carbon fiber for the joints.
Calfee does make some pretty cool bikes (they're the first rest stop on the annual Strawberry Fields Forever bike/uni event). You would have to use a lot of composite and carbon fiber though, which might take away from the bamboo-ness of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Bamboo bikes look pretty unique. But as has been stated, I don't think it'd hold up. That's why we don't have carbon frames either.
Some of us do have carbon frames. Roger Davies used to make them, before the days of UDC. Aluminum lugs. I don't know if he made any after the advent of very fat tires though. Mine (from 1997?) only fits conventional-width MTB tires. It was with that frame I learned about the very high amounts of torque we put into a unicycle frame when pedaling hard. Such as when cranking up steep stuff. My frame broke at the crown lug, not from a materials failure, but just from a lack of epoxy in the joint. The fittings were so airtight, most of the epoxy got squeezed out during assembly, leaving a minimal amount in there. The frame was later repaired with some aluminum pins. But before I mailed it back to Roger, I tried to straighten it back out. It hadn't come apart, just twisted. I couldn't twist it back for fear of breaking something. That's how much torque we put into our frames, while the front of the seat presses against our legs and we crank as hard as we can.

I encourage experimentation with different materials. but the nature of bamboo, which makes it so useful for many things, is probably not the best material to use for a uni frame. However the same thing is true for bikes, but there are bamboo bikes out there. Why not unis?

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05796 seconds with 9 queries