Unicyclist Community

Unicyclist Community (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Unicycling Discussions (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Invisible Box Challenge (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120940)

jrwi 2017-12-06 11:52 AM

Invisible Box Challenge

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted before: have you seen this Invisible Box challenge that's bothering all the social media right now?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/sh...themselves-try

Direct link to tweet

I'll be impressed when she actually rides out of the mount.

Up Rite 2017-12-06 01:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDziHTXuA-w

I tried Unigeezers method a while ago, and could not do it. No paper plate was safe.

aracer 2017-12-07 11:11 AM

Took me about 5 minutes to get it (I reckon). As implied, anybody who can static mount can probably do it - it's much the same trick as Unigeezer's plate thing, though maybe a little harder to do really well as you have no reference to keep the static foot in place.

Setonix 2017-12-07 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aracer (Post 1691235)
Took me about 5 minutes to get it (I reckon). As implied, anybody who can static mount can probably do it - it's much the same trick as Unigeezer's plate thing, though maybe a little harder to do really well as you have no reference to keep the static foot in place.

With a static mount, I do actually stand on the pedal. It is different from the invisible box. I guess when I get my freewheel uni hopefully this week, I will have to do it more like the box.

Mikefule 2017-12-07 12:36 PM

On a 36, or even a 29, I put some pressure on the pedal. What I do is give the unicycle a little shove forward then the pressure of my foot stops it rolling and there is just enough support for me to use the pedal as a step.

JimT 2017-12-07 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Rite (Post 1691192)
I tried Unigeezers method a while ago, and could not do it. No paper plate was safe.

Unigeezer's paper plate analogy is half correct. It is true, you need to hold your foot in about the same place but there is quite a bit of downward force needed to hold the peddle in a fixed location and prevent the wheel from rolling forward. It is easy to see this force if you look closely at the tire deflection during a free mount.

Jim

finnspin 2017-12-08 11:04 AM

Still, the paper plate is a great method to get used to using the foot on the floor to provide upward momentum. If you can do a proper static mount, you will be able to do the paper plate exercise too. It's an exercise, not an analogy.

mowcius 2017-12-08 11:22 AM

While useful initially, I now try and teach people quite early on to balance the weight of their back foot pushing down with their weight on the seat/pushing on the handle with their hand.

johnfoss 2017-12-09 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setonix (Post 1691236)
With a static mount, I do actually stand on the pedal. It is different from the invisible box.

Agreed. Doing the invisible box is a good practice for isolating your foot to one spot, but different because your body is moving around it. It's like a mime isolation exercise.

In an actual mount, you put pressure on that pedal but the difference is, you hold your foot in place and don't let the pedal go up or down. Keep your knee at the same angle of bend. What I try to teach people is to just hold your foot where it is, without bending or straightening your leg. Easy to say, but still hard to do until it "clicks". Usually it takes a while before that click happens...

candyapplecorn 2017-12-09 07:38 AM

Heh, those people cheering in the background. It's like they've never performed a static mount 1000+ times before.

Up Rite 2017-12-10 04:18 PM

I can jump high two legged. Long ago when I was lean and light I could jump and kick an 8 foot ceiling. Definitely can't do that now.

I don't know if I could do this one legged paper plate thing when I was light and lean. Right now, I am big and fat, which I am sure does not help, but I can't seem to get one leg off the cround without flattening that paper plate.

Could it be something in the technique I don't get, or is it just my bodyweight?

I can still jump pretty high two legged. Most of us weight lifters can even when fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeV6W1VEoM

This is what happens when I try to jump one legged on paper plates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwj8TD1_0E

song 2017-12-10 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Rite (Post 1691347)
I can still jump pretty high two legged. Most of us weight lifters can even when fat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeV6W1VEoM

I was a mediocre teenage powerlifter once, and not fat, but was never much good at high jump. Then again, squat was always my weakest lift, in relative terms. It was 20% less than my deadlift.

The plate-jumping video you posted reminded me of this 24-second video. You have probably seen it, or some other one just like it.

Up Rite 2017-12-10 07:53 PM

I thought that high jump on the unicycle was pretty impressive.

I should differentiate powerlifting from Oympic weightlifting. Olympic weight lifting involves explosive technical lifts where you jump up with the weight and get under the bar quickly, and then drive it up further without losing your balance etc.

Oylmpic lifting is extremely demanding. You sepend hours working on explosive squatting day after day. Powerlifters might do a few sets 2
- 3 times per week. Powerlifting will make you strong, but just putting that weight on your back and going up and down gives your jumping ability a minimal boost. You are more like a low geared derrick.

All olympic weightlifters become very strong two legged jumpers, including the biggest fattest ones. It is completely different from bodybuilding and powerlifting training.

I wonder if practicing one legged pistol squats would help, once strong enough, adding in jumps? Or some other method? Or just lose weight first, try again later?

song 2017-12-10 09:07 PM

Yeah, I always knew Olympic lifting was way more interesting than powerlifting, though I didn't know the part about high jumping. It makes sense, though. In the town where I grew up, there were zero Olympic lifters, at least as far as I knew, and back then the Internet was only used by computer hobbyists and the Pentagon. Come to think of it, even in my current surroundings, which are much more cosmopolitan, gyms with freeweights are somewhat rare, and gyms where Olympic lifting would be possible are very rare indeed, at least as far as I know. There was one such gym at a place where I worked in a remote corner of New Jersey a long time ago, though I don't think it got much use.

Your jumping strength will help a little bit with unihopping, but technique is far more important. As a pedestrian, I can jump onto to the top of a picnic table with minimal effort, but on a unicycle, hopping onto something even 30cm high is a stretch for me, so obviously I have plenty of room for improvement.

Up Rite 2017-12-10 11:52 PM

Anyone can learn to pump iron or lift heavy with proper form relatively quickly. Then if you have all the equipment at home you can progress really far without training partners or coaches. Plenty of media and information online about routines diet etc.

Olympic lifting is a completely different kettle of fish. You absolutely must have a skilled coach, and both you and the trainer must be willing to put in the time and effort needed or you can really hurt yourself, with or without proper equipment.

Unicycling seems to be safe to learn on your own. It seems pretty easy to get away from a falling unicycle and land on your feet most of the time compared to an out of control 200 kg barbell. I prefer overbuilt sturdy equipment that I am not worried about it failing or not while practicing in whatever I am doing.