Unicyclist Community

Unicyclist Community (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Unicycling Discussions (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   not able to turn right (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52171)

zachjowi 2006-08-17 02:13 AM

not able to turn right

I can ride in cicrle going left but I always bail or fall when I try and trun right. Why can't I do a simple thing like turning right. I can go forward, backwards, idle, jump, hop , but I can't turn right:mad:

I ride a Torker LX 24"

U-Turn 2006-08-17 03:10 AM

Try grabbing a pole with your right hand and riding around and around it. Get the feel that your wheel has to reach out to the left to go right. GL.

idiorythmic 2006-08-17 03:21 AM

Are you free mounting or using a support to mount?

I had a similar problem and found that it was at least partially due to always mounting with my right foot if free mounting, or always with support on my right side. I tried mounting the other way and somehow that helped me with my right turns.

for a while anyway...the problem resurfaces from time to time and I haven't totally licked it.

But I've found with any problem that just changing the way I mount or changing the place I practice can really help. And practice practice practice.

idiorythmic 2006-08-17 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Turn
Get the feel that your wheel has to reach out to the left to go right. GL.

U-Turn, are you saying that to start turning right it takes a slight bump to the left? In motorcycling this is called "countersteering" and is an essential skill for mastering the bike. I'm surprised I haven't thought to apply this to the unicycle! I'll certainly give this a try next time I'm out there. :D

tholub 2006-08-17 04:12 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

You're probably thinking about it too much. Go play uni basketball or hockey or something that will take your mind off what you're doing.

zachjowi 2006-08-17 04:31 AM

I am freemounting with my left foot. I will try to mount with my right next time

tomtrevor 2006-08-17 04:43 AM

just grab a pole and try spin around it, it is easy and should work! (maybe)

unitoon 2006-08-17 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachjowi
I am freemounting with my left foot. I will try to mount with my right next time

harder than it sounds. i've always mounted with my left foot and now i can't mount with my right unless i'm practically hanging on to something for dear life.

i had the same problem with turning, except not only could i not turn right, it was hard for me to NOT turn left. i ended up realizing it was because i was learning on a driveway that was slanting toward the left. it was sort of a blessing in disguise, though, because it helped me learn to unicycle on bumpy grassy offroad areas. if i turned left, i would end up going down this tiny hill and on the grass around the house. ;D

unicycle dave 2006-08-17 12:02 PM

practice,practice,practice
it will come just keep practicing going around a pole

monkeyman 2006-08-17 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitoon
harder than it sounds. i've always mounted with my left foot and now i can't mount with my right unless i'm practically hanging on to something for dear life.

You'll get the hang of it...after you get good at jumping/stalling, and have good control over the uni, it gets a lot easier to learn.

Most of unicycling seems to be like that...totally unrelated skills help each other out.

To the OP: I learned with a fence on my right side, so I had the same problem...U-turn's pole idea definitely sounds great (it's also a load of fun once you get good at it).....I'm surprised I've never seen that idea come up in one of these threads

dudewithasock 2006-08-17 04:21 PM

Heh, I still can't mount with my left foot, and I've been riding for almost 9 months.

monkeyman 2006-08-17 04:26 PM

I've never really seen you trying....

dudewithasock 2006-08-17 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman
I've never really seen you trying....

I spent most of the summer riding alone, dude.

zachjowi 2006-08-18 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitoon

i had the same problem with turning, except not only could i not turn right, it was hard for me to NOT turn left. i ended up realizing it was because i was learning on a driveway that was slanting toward the left. it was sort of a blessing in disguise, though, because it helped me learn to unicycle on bumpy grassy offroad areas. if i turned left, i would end up going down this tiny hill and on the grass around the house. ;D

that is exactly my problem about the driveway sloped to the left. I am able to freemount with my right but it just doesn't feel right. I will keep paracticing