PDA

View Full Version : Asheville MUni Fest 2010

BenNC
2010-03-15, 10:14 PM
Hello MUni riders!

Check out the fourth annual Asheville MUni Fest in Asheville, North Carolina September 17 to 19, 2010.

http://ashevillemunifest.webs.com/

If you attended the festival in the past, please feel free to leave comments here. Also, if you have questions about the festival, please feel free to ask them here.

Keep riding just one! :)

Ben

humblbee
2010-03-16, 10:57 PM
I can't wait. I hope it's sunny.

Michaelgoround
2010-03-17, 03:52 AM
Really gonna try to make it this year! Hopefully I can bum a ride from someone.:) Also hopefully I will not be riding my trials off-road like I have been doing. Looking at getting a KH 29".

Thanks for hosting such an awesome festival (so I've heard)!

lowpine
2010-03-21, 01:43 PM
I'm thinking about coming, <must get legs in shape>. How many poeple are you expecting this year?

steve

bengal head
2010-03-23, 02:37 AM
is there an admission fee or anything like that? please tell this might be my first time

Nurse Ben
2010-03-31, 04:36 PM
We'll see you there!

MuniSano
2010-04-16, 12:52 PM
Doh! I'm pretty sure my wife and I are flying overseas that weekend! I guess I won't be able to defend my shared MUni race title!

I've taken a break from riding this past six weeks or so to focus on a long run/trek I've got planned on the Pinhoti Trail starting May 1st (http://pinhotitrailadventurerun.blogspot.com/). Lot's of running and training. But after that I plan to spend all summer riding and would like to make a trip up your way, perhaps we can work something out in the June-July window? I know Ben King would like to meet up and ride somewhere... I hope you guys have an awesome event, I'll make it if I can, but it's not looking good.

humblbee
2010-04-16, 01:40 PM
Hey Rob, I saw Nathans write up and photos on the white rim trip, that looked like an awesome good time.:rolleyes: I for one would love to meet up and ride at bent creek over the summer. We should get something together.
Any sunday is good for me.
keep in touch,
Rah-Bee

Nurse Ben
2010-04-20, 05:08 PM
It was a good time last year, and yes, we ride in all conditions! Even though it rained, the trails handled it just fine, and what great trails they were!

Definitely worth a days drive to be at this event. And to make the pot even sweeter, Asheville, the crown jewel of Appalachian towns, is just around the corner :)

BenNC
2010-04-23, 01:12 AM
Hello Everyone!

Sorry it has been a while since I checked in. I've been too busy riding :)
My wife is riding now!!!!!

The organizers have not discussed the price of the festival yet, but we will be deciding soon.

Sorry that you can't make it this year Rob! We'd love to see you in July. Give us a call!

Later,

Ben, ASHEVILLE MUNI FEST

MuniSano
2010-04-23, 01:02 PM
Yeah, it's too bad that, most likely, I won't be able to make the Festival this year! I don't really know how far I can travel either because I've already blown a bunch of vacation/personal leave this year. About the best I can do is something a couple hours drive away. I'm thinking you guys would really like Raccoon Mountain (Chattanooga, TN), look up "munisano" on Youtube and you can see a short video a friend and I put together from there. Oak Mountain is also really epic, perhaps much better suited to the 29er variety as it's mostly XC stuff. Raccoon Mountain is XC but has plenty of buffer DH sections. Then again you can come to my home area at Monte Sano in Huntsville. Lot's of rock and DH riding; bring the 24"!! In any case I promise you won't be dissappointed.

BenNC
2010-05-01, 02:55 AM
I'm thinking about coming, <must get legs in shape>. How many poeple are you expecting this year?

steve

There's lots of time to train AND you are too close to miss this festival dude! Our festival is very young. We only have a few riders - BUT there is some AWESOME talent that shows every year!

MuniSano
2010-06-09, 02:06 PM
Well, looks like I'll be able to make it! I'm not heading to Greece until the following week. My wife is competing in the Spartathlon on September 24-25 so we won't go over until around the 20th or 21st. Sweet! Looks like I'm going to have to get my butt in shape to defend my Asheville MUnifest Co-Champion status! Rockin the KH24 GUni of course (perhaps with some upgrades?). See you all fairly soon! :D

humblbee
2010-06-10, 03:34 PM
Rock on Rob, Good to hear. We will see you there.:D

banggood
2010-07-05, 06:27 AM
riding is good for ur healthy,maybe u can become very strong !

headcamguy
2010-07-23, 02:30 PM
My name is Josh Hartman. I work for Adventure Eye Video Systems to test their line of head cams. I am interested in filming this event and putting together a promotional video. Please let me know if you are interested in helping me put together this video. Feel free to check out my other videos at HeadCamGuy.com.

Josh

PS - I am still learning and plan to purchase my first muni in the coming weeks. I will not be participating and plan to focus on filming at this event.

BenNC
2010-07-23, 09:29 PM
My name is Josh Hartman. I work for Adventure Eye Video Systems to test their line of head cams. I am interested in filming this event and putting together a promotional video. Please let me know if you are interested in helping me put together this video. Feel free to check out my other videos at HeadCamGuy.com.

Josh

PS - I am still learning and plan to purchase my first muni in the coming weeks. I will not be participating and plan to focus on filming at this event.

Hello Josh,

We'd love to have you attend the festival. If you decide to not ride a unicycle, then you might be able to keep up with us on a mountain bike. I'm sure you'd get plenty of volunteers to test your camera equipment. :)

UNCuni
2010-07-26, 02:09 AM
I'll be there! I rode on the bent creek trails earlier this year for the first time - it was so much fun. Can't wait to meet everyone there.

Patrick

BenNC
2010-07-28, 01:27 AM
Hello Asheville MUni Fest enthusiasts!

Make sure you mark your calendars for Sept 17 to Sept 19!

The registration forms are ready to fill out and send in on our website! Don't miss this opportunity to register early and make your mark on MUni history.

Later,

Ben and the team

PS - post any questions about the festival here!

BenNC
2010-07-28, 01:30 AM
Hey Patrick!

Can't wait to meet and ride with you! I live right near the Bent Creek trail system! Next time you're in town let me know so we can ride together :)

Ben

Nurse Ben
2010-07-28, 04:25 PM
Hey Ben, we'll be there for sure, plan to camp down by the lake to be closer to the action. Maybe it won't rain...

UNCuni
2010-07-29, 01:17 AM
Just sent in my registration... I'm planning to arrive on Thursday afternoon. Is anyone else getting there early? My family is staying home this year so if anyone wants to share a site with me I am happy to split the cost with you. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Patrick

billnye
2010-08-03, 12:45 PM
Registered, Paid, and counting down the days. It'll be nice to see some people again and meet some others "again for the first time." Munisano, good to hear your crowded vacation schedule works out after all. :)

T Minus 45,

billnye
John M

MuniSano
2010-08-03, 01:09 PM
Still planning on coming, not sure when I'll get there Friday, probably later (I'm having to work some crazy hours to make up for my pending Greece trip). You all should have no trouble whipping my butt as I haven't had a serious MUni ride since February! I've had too much going on in my primary sport, ultra-running. Right now the trail conditions are great around here, but it's been triple digit heat index and so for me no fun to go ride. Still I wouldn't miss the MUniFest, just try not to laugh too hard at my lack of skill.

littlemenjd
2010-08-03, 02:11 PM
Registered and Paid! Jarrett and I cant wait to ride those great trails again.
See everyone Soon,

Jason

headcamguy
2010-08-05, 07:04 PM
Hey Ben! Do you mind if I advertise this event at my new meetup group at www.NCUnicycling.com? I would like to get a group together to carpool for this event. Thanks Ben.

Josh

Nurse Ben
2010-08-06, 11:58 AM
I went to register and had some sticker shock!

Why so much for registration?

Does it include camping?

headcamguy
2010-08-08, 04:16 AM
I was also wondering if the registration included camping. I would like to organize a group out that way. Thanks.

Josh

headcamguy
2010-08-10, 12:54 AM
Just registered! I can't wait!

BenNC
2010-08-12, 01:46 AM
Feel free to spread the word!!! :)

Ben

Hey Ben! Do you mind if I advertise this event at my new meetup group at www.NCUnicycling.com? I would like to get a group together to carpool for this event. Thanks Ben.

Josh

BenNC
2010-08-12, 01:59 AM
Hello Ben,

I am sorry that MUni fest costs more this year than last year. Our goal is to simply break even at the end of the weekend. Last year we lost money. Additional money was needed this year to cover event registration with Pisgah National Forest and to purchase insurance. You can expect the same as last year as far as the event goes. Camping is not included in the event registration.

We've added an easier way to make your payment using PayPal on our website for your convenience.

Ben

I went to register and had some sticker shock!

Why so much for registration?

Does it include camping?

Nurse Ben
2010-08-12, 07:36 PM
Hey Ben, maybe the festival could be less formal, more like a group of riders getting together to hang out, camp, ride, etc...

I've organized more than a few such events, and with such a small group, paying for insurance is going to be prohibitive because the cost is spread out among fewer riders.

If we were to simply pick a date and we all showed up, paid for our own camp sites, brought our own food, and used a white elephant gift exchange for the "race", there would be no reason to even tell the campground of forest service that we're doing anything out of the norm.

All I'm saying is that $75 is more than most people can afford, esp considering we're all traveling a long ways and already paying for gas, lodging, etc...

Just something to think about.

It looks like I'll be able to make the ride along with my wife (Karen), but all the kids have to play at the football game on Friday night.

Another thing to consider is having the event when school is out, say in mid June. I know a number of kids, mine included, as well as some teachers, who can't attend a festival in September. You might get better turn out from afar.

See you there!

Ben

BenNC
2010-08-13, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the input Ben. You have brought up great suggestions that I'll be sure to bring to the next committee meeting. I'm really glad that you'll be able to make it to the festival this year. Can't wait to ride with you!

Ben

Hey Ben, maybe the festival could be less formal, more like a group of riders getting together to hang out, camp, ride, etc...

I've organized more than a few such events, and with such a small group, paying for insurance is going to be prohibitive because the cost is spread out among fewer riders.

If we were to simply pick a date and we all showed up, paid for our own camp sites, brought our own food, and used a white elephant gift exchange for the "race", there would be no reason to even tell the campground of forest service that we're doing anything out of the norm.

All I'm saying is that $75 is more than most people can afford, esp considering we're all traveling a long ways and already paying for gas, lodging, etc...

Just something to think about.

It looks like I'll be able to make the ride along with my wife (Karen), but all the kids have to play at the football game on Friday night.

Another thing to consider is having the event when school is out, say in mid June. I know a number of kids, mine included, as well as some teachers, who can't attend a festival in September. You might get better turn out from afar.

See you there!

Ben

b.King
2010-08-22, 06:06 PM
Wasn't sure until recently what I'd be doing this fall but I got a paid research position here at U of L so I'm pumped to come ride with everyone again, and defend my title!

BenNC
2010-08-25, 02:12 AM
Can't wait to see you Ben!!!!! I'm really glad to hear you're going to make it.

Ben

Wasn't sure until recently what I'd be doing this fall but I got a paid research position here at U of L so I'm pumped to come ride with everyone again, and defend my title!

BenNC
2010-08-25, 02:24 AM
HELLO EVERYONE!

After considerable debate, the organizers of Asheville MUni Fest have decided to change the location of the festival. The change was made due to permit usage issues in the Bent Creek Area. This means two things for you.

1. We have reserved a group campsite for everyone! YEAH! Your registration fee now covers this cost. It means you have to spend less money :) - and you don't need to worry about making campsite reservations. The group site is called COVE CREEK GROUP CAMPSITE #2 and is located near Brevard, just south of Asheville.

2. The campsite is very large and can hold approximately 150 people and 15 vehicles. There is a short hike to get to the campground and the campground is for tents only. If you wish to bring an RV you might consider making reservations at the DAVIDSON RIVER CAMPGROUND.

We are very excited about the new location as there are many great trails in this area to ride! The possibilities are endless. . .
Please send questions if you have any!

CHEERS!
BEN

headcamguy
2010-08-29, 06:33 PM
Ben,

I am very excited about the new location. That is a fantastic area to ride, camp, and hike. I'm looking forward to this event.

I'm looking forward to filming the race and the rides afterwards. I will be bringing five head cams with helmet mounts, chest mounts, and a camera boom. Everyone is welcome to test these head cams.

We should be able to put together a pretty exciting video.

Josh

UNCuni
2010-08-31, 10:26 AM
Ben,

I am very excited about the new location. That is a fantastic area to ride, camp, and hike. I'm looking forward to this event.

I'm looking forward to filming the race and the rides afterwards. I will be bringing five head cams with helmet mounts, chest mounts, and a camera boom. Everyone is welcome to test these head cams.

We should be able to put together a pretty exciting video.

Josh

Sounds like fun, Josh. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to meeting everyone. How many people are you expecting, Ben?

MuniSano
2010-08-31, 02:56 PM
Regrets,

Sorry I won't be able to attend this year after all. All the best, I wish you a rain free event this year! Hopefully I'll be able to attend next year. Drop me a line if any of you guys ever plan on riding in my range (Chattanooga, North Georgia, Birmingham, Huntsville, etc...).

BenNC
2010-09-02, 11:51 PM
We expect about 30 riders. We are still pretty small - spread the word!

Ben

Sounds like fun, Josh. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to meeting everyone. How many people are you expecting, Ben?

BenNC
2010-09-03, 12:44 AM
Hey MuniSano - Can you just make up your mind :)

We'll miss you! Hope to see you in 2011!
Ben

Regrets,

Sorry I won't be able to attend this year after all. All the best, I wish you a rain free event this year! Hopefully I'll be able to attend next year. Drop me a line if any of you guys ever plan on riding in my range (Chattanooga, North Georgia, Birmingham, Huntsville, etc...).

billnye
2010-09-03, 12:51 AM
Regrets,
Sorry I won't be able to attend this year after all.
Hey MuniSano - Can you just make up your mind :)
Well yeah, Ben, but he's allowed one more flip-flop before he has to settle down with the decision... right?

billnye
John M

MuniSano
2010-09-03, 01:03 PM
No flip flop this time. I have other, unavoidable plans. Sorry. You guys have fun and hopefully you'll all have much better weather this time right?

BenNC
2010-09-04, 01:30 AM
The weather is going to be awesome this year! There is a high of 74 tomorrow. PERFECT riding conditions.

Ben

No flip flop this time. I have other, unavoidable plans. Sorry. You guys have fun and hopefully you'll all have much better weather this time right?

uniboy13
2010-09-05, 11:41 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a couple of questions:

Now that check in is at 3:00, when and where is the first ride?

Where is the ride on Saturday? Is it from the campground or are we going to the same place as last year?

Is anyone up for Heart Break Ridge "the trail we did last year" Sunday morning and then Kitsuma that afternoon?

What are you planning to do in terms of showering? Should I just bring a solar shower?

Thanks,
Alex Brown

BenNC
2010-09-10, 01:58 AM
Thanks for your questions Alex! The first ride will leave from the Cove Creek Campground at 4:00 p.m. We will also have a ride scheduled to leave around 5:30 p.m. On Saturday we will ride at 9:00. from Cove Creek. On Sunday we will be riding at Dupont State Park after packing up, just like last year. Heartbreak and Kitsuma are not in the plans this year - sorry! :( We will have a detailed list of rides and times at the campground for you when you check in.

A solar shower is a great idea! There is a creek that runs right through the campground too. Bring your bathing suit! :)

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of questions:

Now that check in is at 3:00, when and where is the first ride?

Where is the ride on Saturday? Is it from the campground or are we going to the same place as last year?

Is anyone up for Heart Break Ridge "the trail we did last year" Sunday morning and then Kitsuma that afternoon?

What are you planning to do in terms of showering? Should I just bring a solar shower?

Thanks,
Alex Brown

gratefulbruce
2010-09-10, 01:38 PM
Hello, I am a 50yo trail runner making a committment to cross training by riding my 35yo unicycle more. I rode 1.5 miles the other day (on road), but will start today riding on fire roads in my immediate area. My uni is a schwinn 24" with road tire, and unless I misread the posts here and other online forums, there does not seem to be any MUNI tires that will fit the old schwinn rims. It's great to see events like this are available if my unicycling picksup the way I'd hope. I may be out in the Asheville area in the next few weeks, and who knows, I may even bring the uni/mountain bikes/kayak/canoe ... so many toys, so little time!

Gratefulbruce
Chapel Hill, NC

MuniSano
2010-09-10, 01:48 PM
gratefulbruce,

Welcome to the club! I'm a 36 yo trail runner (ultra marathon runner) and have been running well over half of my life. I too got into unicycling as a way to cross train.

As you observed there probably are not too many offroad tire options for your old schwin as the main issue besides scarcity is that the tires tend to be too wide to fit in that type of frame. However, you are coming (back) into the sport at a great time as there are now a whole lot of options for new unicycles or the ability to piece part to upgrade what you have. I'd say why not add to your collection of unicycles? There is probably almost nobody on this forum that only has a single unicycle! For a relatively low investment you can get a well constructed offroad unicycle. Offroad unicycles tend to be built a bit stronger, wider rims, splined hub etc... I'd worry that your schwin, even if you could find a proper off road tire, would get beaten up pretty quick riding offroad with drops and bumps and such.

Good luck!

Oh and all the best to all the Asheville MUniFest Participants! I truly wish I could be there!

BenNC
2010-09-11, 12:24 AM
The down fall of the old Schwinn Unicycles is that the rim will only fit a Schwinn tire I think. The tires are hard to find and usually already cracked from age when you do find them. It is not the best set up for MUni, BUT it is what I rode 15 years ago when I first started riding - (YES. . . before manufactured MUni options). My dad and I used to throw away the Schwinn hub and lace a new hub with a wider rim and it worked well - except for the square tapered hub that would eventually destroy the cranks. That's all we had.

For around $300 you can purchase a very nice mountain unicycle with all the parts that Munisano described - well worth the money if you want to ride MUni. If you order one today you will get it in time for MUni fest or you can bring your Schwinn! Give us a call or shoot us an email. Hope to ride with you soon!

Ben

Hello, I am a 50yo trail runner making a committment to cross training by riding my 35yo unicycle more. I rode 1.5 miles the other day (on road), but will start today riding on fire roads in my immediate area. My uni is a schwinn 24" with road tire, and unless I misread the posts here and other online forums, there does not seem to be any MUNI tires that will fit the old schwinn rims. It's great to see events like this are available if my unicycling picksup the way I'd hope. I may be out in the Asheville area in the next few weeks, and who knows, I may even bring the uni/mountain bikes/kayak/canoe ... so many toys, so little time!

Gratefulbruce
Chapel Hill, NC

munimag
2010-09-11, 01:41 AM
What size wheel do you recommend for the planned trails? Is there still a race planned for Saturday morning?

UNCuni
2010-09-12, 01:51 AM

Gratefulbruce
Chapel Hill, NC

Welcome Gratefulbruce! I'm happy to see another uni rider in Chapel Hill. Let me know if you'd ever like to ride together. The fire roads at the Carolina North Forest are a great place to start. The Bolin Creek paved trail would be good for starters too.

Best, Patrick

BenNC
2010-09-14, 02:03 AM
Hello everyone! Can't wait to see you Friday! It is not too late to register. This is going to be the best MUni fest ever.

Please post last minute questions here. I will be checking daily to make sure all of your questions are answered. Make sure you visit the updated website. It now has an updated schedule of events to check out.

Cheers!

Benjamin

BenNC
2010-09-14, 02:14 AM
The tire size you use really depends on the rider. Last year, Ben King and Josh Torrans rode a very technical trail on 29ers that I would have been very uncomfortable doing. The trail was a steep old stream bed with lots of loose shifting rocks. I suggested a 24 inch tire before the ride for hopping and stalling through the many obstacles, but they rode with ease on 29ers.

I think that a couple of the trails could be done on a 29er, but there are times when I would suggest a 24 with more tire volume for these trails. A three inch tire definitely makes the riding a lot more comfortable!

We do have a ride scheduled for Saturday morning. We jokingly call it "a race" but you are welcome to ride as fast or as slow as you want. I'll race you if you want!!! :) Any one else interested?

Hope to see you there!

Ben

What size wheel do you recommend for the planned trails? Is there still a race planned for Saturday morning?

Nurse Ben
2010-09-17, 01:39 PM
Had a great talk with BenNC last night, got me all excited to vome out and ride. Still not sure if I'll make it, lots of family stuff going on this year and my son has band stuff, so I'd be coming solo; even my dog is down (injured).

If we come over it'll Saturday, noonish, so we'd be there for the afternoon ride and dinner.

From what BenNC said last night, the Sat AM ride is a little mellower and can be done on a 29er, but that the Sat PM ride is more technical and is best done on a bigger tired muni.

If I make it, I'll be bringing both :)

littlemenjd
2010-09-20, 05:15 PM
Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks for putting on another great festival. Jarrett and I had a blast riding and meeting everyone. The weather was perfect, the riding was great, and the company was phenomenal. (Robbie, Jessie, and family we did miss seeing you guys)

I got some video and pics I will get uploaded soon.

I have already started collecting the bits and pieces need to setup some Muni Polo!!

Thanks Again

Jason and Jarrett

humblbee
2010-09-21, 12:33 AM
Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks for putting on another great festival. Jarrett and I had a blast riding and meeting everyone. The weather was perfect, the riding was great, and the company was phenomenal. (Robbie, Jessie, and family we did miss seeing you guys)

I have already started collecting the bits and pieces need to setup some Muni Polo!!

Thanks Again

Jason and Jarrett

Hey Jason, I'm glad you guys had fun. I was really bummed about not being there. I've been healing a seperated ac joint in my shoulder, so camping and/or riding is out for now. I'll be coming back strong soon enough though, and looking foward to seeing some pics and video. Hope to see you guy's soon.
peace,
RahBee and Family

BenNC
2010-09-21, 01:01 AM
I love your new signature! :) Great to have you guys again. Wasn't that fun???

Jeff and Bill rescued me last night. After I discovered I'd left my pump somewhere in Dupont Forest, they went back for another ride to help me out. Woohoo. . . another close call - and I'm still kickin'.

Ben

Thanks Again

Jason and Jarrett

munimag
2010-09-21, 01:36 AM
I also want to thank the organizers for putting on a great unicycle weekend. I really enjoyed the riding, the company, the food and the games - unicycle polo rocks!

UNCuni
2010-09-22, 02:26 AM
I had a great time at the Muni Fest. Ben, Diann, Jack, Jeff and Bill (and other I'm sure) - You guys did a great job organizing a fantastic event. I'm sure it will continue to grow each year. I look forward to seeing everyone again next year and making new friends. Can't wait to see the pictures of muni polo.

Patrick

MuniSano
2010-09-29, 04:15 PM
So happy you guys had a great time. Perhaps I'll be able to make it back next year. For what it's worth, I had a great time in Greece and even got to unicycle some (I packed my 20" trials uni); including a loop around the Akropolis in Athens as well as numerous other places between Athens and Sparta while I supported my wife at her foot race, the 153 mile Spartathlon.

Ross Prezant
2011-09-12, 01:48 AM
I attended this Muni fest last year with my two sons (8 and 13 at that time).
Honestly, I had some reluctance. They were school gym club riders , but loved the idea of MUni. I paid the fees and set out to camp and support them- and i did not uni at the time.
Then, serious magic happened.
The crowd of people from the Muni community are simply the best.
They were from all over and all ages.
These folks mentored, inspired and challenged us, while treating us to one really fine big time weekend.
Well, as you might guess, we muni a bunch now. i can almost "kill" some not too deep mulched areas. My sons are doing quite alright with it.
And the beloved trails that I loved as a mountain biker, and trail runner, are now seen through the eyes of muni-ers.
The group camp, Pisgah Forest, and trails are all spectacular.
If you even think you might like it, please come!
Hope to see you there,
Ross

Nurse Ben
2011-09-13, 12:25 PM
I'll be there, trying to drag my son along; you know high schoolers can be :rolleyes:

Rode with Ben and Jeff at the Black Bear, man them guys ride fast!

Halloween weekend, bring your costume :)