PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

smee56
2008-11-21, 03:31 AM
When do you wear a helmet??? i only wear a helmet when i know that there is a high danger of me hurting myself....is there anyone else out there that is like this or just doesn't like wearing one??? I just find them to be annoying....

SHAY_CAM
2008-11-21, 03:33 AM
I would find on usefull when gliding, or jumping from a high place to something skinny.

unibikeling
2008-11-21, 03:43 AM
i always wear a helmet, always.

picture of me in action -

http://www.geocities.com/randyinc_nz/wallpaper/files/imp_stormtrooper.jpg

sxbud138
2008-11-21, 03:50 AM
HaHa, what kind of uni are you riding ?

unibikeling
2008-11-21, 03:53 AM
HaHa, what kind of uni are you riding ?

a K1 Vadercycle, they havent released it yet, its a one of a kind model that they made me. I also replaced the cranks with some Nimbus Sandtroopers too. I got it in ABS white too.

I'm thinking about switching my tire from a GL Force to a LS Yoda

sxbud138
2008-11-21, 03:56 AM
I knew you were sponsored, but dang you got the hook ups !

unibikeling
2008-11-21, 03:59 AM
I knew you were sponsored, but dang you got the hook ups !

Yeah, that happens when you take over a Rebel medical outpost.

littleman
2008-11-21, 04:02 AM
Yeah, that happens when you take over a Rebel medical outpost.

This thread just became ridiculous.

unibikeling
2008-11-21, 04:06 AM
This thread just became ridiculous.

Thats what CC-5052 said when we made the switch. Thats were some great days back in Kamino.

habbywall
2008-11-21, 04:07 AM
When do you wear a helmet??? i only wear a helmet when i know that there is a high danger of me hurting myself....is there anyone else out there that is like this or just doesn't like wearing one??? I just find them to be annoying....

ey onle wre 1 wen i now i wont hrt myself, den wen i geat hrt i lok HAWT 4 da ladezz!!1!!

smee56
2008-11-21, 04:11 AM
ey onle wre 1 wen i now i wont hrt myself, den wen i geat hrt i lok HAWT 4 da ladezz!!1!!

i like ur style

sxbud138
2008-11-21, 04:16 AM

So do you and unibikeling have the same sponsor then ?

unibikeling
2008-11-21, 04:16 AM
Thats what CC-5052 said when we made the switch. Thats were some great days back in Kamino.

Of course, thats before he followed up order 66 on Felucia, then things started to get messy. But damn, he knew how to use his DC17's and DC15A's.

Fooby
2008-11-21, 02:39 PM
Getting back on topic...
I rarely wear a helmet, I know unicycling's dangerous, and potentially deadly, but that's a pretty huge 'potentially'. I haven't fallen on my head, not even close, the closest I've ever come was on my side (stopped by my upper arm) or on my but (always tuck my head in if this happens), I learned how to fall so I wouldn't get injured.

The only times I wear my helmet are when I'm learning new things and when I'm riding to Dan's place, only because his Dad won't let me into the house if I haven't worn my helmet on the way over.
*waiting for huge, ranting, angry criticism*

Seager
2008-11-21, 03:34 PM
If there is one thing this thread should NOT do it get back on topic. Then it will just join the other 100 controversial helmet threads. One day the forums will reach the critical mass of self-righteous helmet whining and then - poof - an gigantic douchebag chain reaction will occur that could pull these forums, and perhaps the entire world, into an near-endless run-on sentence plagued with helmet arguing related thread derailments, misspellings, and commas, ending only when people stop arguing on the internet, grammar nazi's shut up, people use the search function, people stop yelling at other people to us the search function, and ............................................................... people use ellipses correctly. It's a dangerous road to go down.

Anyway, The one time I make sure I'm wearing a helmet is when I'm bullseyeing womp rats in my T-16 back home. Did you know they're not much bigger than two meters?

Buretto
2008-11-21, 03:56 PM
If there is one thing this thread should NOT do it get back on topic. Then it will just join the other 100 controversial helmet threads. One day the forums will reach the critical mass of self-righteous helmet whining and then - poof - an gigantic douchebag chain reaction will occur that could pull these forums, and perhaps the entire world, into an near-endless run-on sentence plagued with helmet arguing related thread derailments, misspellings, and commas, ending only when people stop arguing on the internet, grammar nazi's shut up, people use the search function, people stop yelling at other people to us the search function, and ............................................................... people use ellipses correctly. It's a dangerous road to go down.

Anyway, The one time I make sure I'm wearing a helmet is when I'm bullseyeing womp rats in my T-16 back home. Did you know they're not much bigger than two meters?

People wear knee pads, shin guards, and gloves to protect their knees, shins, hand and wrists, etc.
Why not protect your dome?
I "know how to fall" too, and in all my years of bike and uni riding I've maybe hit my head once. That's the exact reason I choose to wear one... that one time out a hundred that I'll need it.

If that makes me self-righteous, oh well... I'll get over it. You will too.

Grinn
2008-11-21, 04:12 PM
I really need to get me some safety gear. I think that's what's holding me back from going out and pushing myself to try new things. I learned to hop and kinda ride backwards this summer, but now I want to push myself, but I don't want to wreck myself in the process. Figure I have all winter now to get a helmet, shin and wrist guards and then I'll be set for when the snow melts. :)

peleschramm
2008-11-21, 04:53 PM
I usually wear a helmet when riding MUNI or when practicing potentially dangerous grinds.

samwii
2008-11-21, 04:57 PM
I always wear my helmet. Not because I need to, but because I love my helmet! It's a union jack one, and I think it is awesome

Tak
2008-11-21, 05:21 PM
I love my helmet! It's a union jack one, and I think it is awesome
Just after I'd bought my matte-black helmet, I found out that Bell makes a chrome one. :mad: That's what I get for not doing my research!

BillyTheMountain
2008-11-21, 06:30 PM
I'd like to wear a helmet when I ride in a commercial jet.

Seager
2008-11-22, 03:43 AM
People wear knee pads, shin guards, and gloves to protect their knees, shins, hand and wrists, etc.
Why not protect your dome?
I "know how to fall" too, and in all my years of bike and uni riding I've maybe hit my head once. That's the exact reason I choose to wear one... that one time out a hundred that I'll need it.

If that makes me self-righteous, oh well... I'll get over it. You will too.

Dude... I wear a helmet every time and think everyone else should too, but I don't go around telling people about it. Everyone on these forums already has an opinion on helmets and no one is going to change their mind. We also already have about 300 threads about this exact same thing. It's lame.

zogola
2008-11-22, 03:53 AM
I've come to agree with Seager on this one. I mean, its not like someone who hates wearing helmets is going to suddenly start wearing a helmet after reading my rant about "Only idiots go without helmets!" Its like religion, you believe, or you don't. Now that I've learned to shut up (except my sig:)) on the helmet topic I just need to learn to shut up on the religion topic. Oh well. One thing at a time.

Kurt

Buretto
2008-11-22, 03:54 AM
It's lame.

Lame enough to take the time to reply?

:)

pandas
2008-11-22, 03:57 AM

not even close.

Seager
2008-11-22, 04:02 AM

These are self moderated forums. The helmet controversy ruins many a good thread (esp picture threads) so I have a vested interest in calming it.

Other debatable topics could have new information and intelligent debate - like religion, politics, etc. New ideas keep coming up and their discussions don't spill out into unrelated threads. The helmet argument, however, is like a cancer. Nobody wins, everything sucks, and it's been done before.

Meh. (<--- That word is now in the dictionary!) I suppose it's no less pretentious to tell people to stop arguing about stupid crap than it is to tell someone else to wear a helmet, but we'll see how you feel after you've been here awhile and seen 20 more of these threads. :)

Buretto
2008-11-22, 04:11 AM
The best thing to do with threads that bother you is to not reply to them.

Seager
2008-11-22, 04:21 AM
Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Invoking Godwin's law NOW!

Did ignoring Hitler make him go away? No!

Your wisdom works great for one time threads. Not so much for plague threads (and topics.)

MaxSchulze
2008-11-22, 04:28 AM

De wanna wunga?

Axi
2008-11-22, 08:04 AM
Seager and others I understand you. I tought exactly same when thoes religion threads came, but could you just ingnore this thread and let us fight about helmets once again?

I personally use helmet always when I ride. Exept when I go to school.
You just lose very small amount of appearance and even smaller amount of comfort (Both of them are arguable.) but you get lot of safety in return. ( Not arguaple.)

Fooby
2008-11-22, 10:34 AM
You just lose very small amount of appearance and even smaller amount of comfort. but you get lot of safety in return. ( Not arguaple.)
1: I lose quite a bit of appearance from mine, it's covered in stickers (from when I did agressive blading)
2: Mine is pretty uncomfortable, I had to replace the spongey lining, and the glue to stick the new foam in isn't working.
3: That extra lot of safety isn't very useful to me.

Axi
2008-11-22, 02:48 PM
3: That extra lot of safety isn't very useful to me.

Why so?

Are you already dead? (zombi)
Do you always a safety rope?
Or are you just so bad unicyclist that you cant get off the wall?

saskatchewanian
2008-11-22, 06:16 PM
I don't think the helmet helped Boba when he fell into the sarlacc...

Axi
2008-11-22, 07:25 PM

You mean Boba Fett?

samwii
2008-11-22, 08:01 PM
who else? I dont normally see people falling into a sarlacc:D

unibikeling
2008-11-22, 11:18 PM

Boba Fett wasnt all too bright, since he was a Bounty Hunter.

Now Jango, theres a real bounty hunter. I mean, even for boba being his clone, boba was lacking something.

Mikefule
2008-11-23, 09:13 AM
There's nothing wrong with reopening the helmet discussion from time to time.

Young or inexperienced riders need to be able to make a reasonable assessment of the risks. They need a wide cross section of opinions and access to the facts. Otherwise, they might regard unicycling as very dangerous, or they might regard it as completely safe. Parents of young riders may also need guidance.

In normal riding, the risk of hitting your head in a fall is very small indeed.

Riding in traffic, the risk is much greater, because you may fall and come into contact with a moving vehicle. A helmet may protect you from a glancing blow, but won't help if an 18 wheeler runs over your head.

In Muni, you may hit your head on a low branch, or fall badly and hit an isolated rock. I have had low branches catch in the vents of my helmet, causing me to fall off.

If you do hit your head, chances are that it will not be a serious blow. However, the worst case scenario is serious injury, paralysis or death.

In the National Lottery, you are very unlikely to win, but the prize is life changing. When unicycling without a helmet, you are very unlikely to suffer serious head injury, but if you do, the consequences could be life changing.

Of course, a helmet will not protect you against every possible head injury.

There may even be a small number of special circumstances in which the helmet might increase either the probability of a fall or the severity of the injury.

But on balance, if you do fall, and if you do bang your head, you will usually be better off if you are wearing a helmet.

Off set against this are factors like comfort, expense, convenience, fashion, and personal freedom.

From a purely safety point of view, therefore, wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing one. However, the same could be said for gloves, wrist guards, shin protectors, body armour and so on. Strangely, we do not have these constant debates about gloves or body armour.

The reason we have the debates about helmets is because there is considerable outside pressure to wear helmets, and there is a constant threat of laws being brought in to make wearing of helmets compulsory - not specifically in unicycling, but in cycling generally. It has already happened in motorcycling in the UK and some US states.

The debate about whether it should be compulsory is nothing to do with helmets per se. It is to do with personal freedoms and the relationship between the individual and the state.

Personally, I wear a road-style bicycle helmet most of the time that I'm riding. I occasionally wear a full face BMX helmet for MUni. I seldom wear a helmet on my 20" because I'm usually performing in costume when I ride it. I always wear a helmet when riding on the road. I sometimes ride without a helmet on easy/soft ground on a hot day. Next year I may buy an unvented helmet to reduce the risk of catching on low branches.

Mikefule
2008-11-23, 09:14 AM
Here's one of my helmets:

kington99
2008-11-23, 02:17 PM
Here's one of my helmets:

are you taking the pith?

johnfoss
2008-11-24, 03:19 AM
picture of me in action - {picture of stormtrooper from Star Wars Episode IV}Not bad; you were wearing a helmet when you were about -18 years old! :)

Did ignoring Hitler make him go away? No!I don't see you bitching every time someone starts a "what should I buy" thread or a "Help" thread. Why only certain topics? But that was a very funny paragraph about future forum doom back there!

I'd like to wear a helmet when I ride in a commercial jet. Who's stopping you? What type of helmet do you think would be appropriate for that activity?

De wanna wunga? Sounds like the worm guys from Men In Black...

1: I lose quite a bit of appearance from mine, it's covered in stickers
2: Mine is pretty uncomfortable, I had to replace the spongey lining, and the glue to stick the new foam in isn't working.
3: That extra lot of safety isn't very useful to me. 1: That's because of your cool hair.
2: I don't think he was taking about that particular helmet. Yuck. Helmets die after a while, but they're pretty cheap these days so it might be time for a new one. Or some better glue (some kind of non-plastic-eating epoxy?).
3: Does that mean you think your brain is worth less than the price of a helmet?

who else? I dont normally see people falling into a sarlacc-- One of the best quotes I've seen on here in a while. :)

BTW, I wear a helmet for MUni and road riding. Anything around cars, rocks or heights. But I don't use one for Sumo, Freestyle, performing, or just playing around.

unibikeling
2008-11-24, 04:15 AM
Not bad; you were wearing a helmet when you were about -18 years old! :)

Ahh yeah... those were the days. Only reason I'm still alive is cause I was one of the troopers who used their head, not their blasters. Although I could wield one of those E-11's like a rebel, I used tactics more than anything.

Seager
2008-11-24, 07:16 AM
I don't see you bitching every time someone starts a "what should I buy" thread or a "Help" thread. Why only certain topics? But that was a very funny paragraph about future forum doom back there!

That's because those threads are actually useful for people. The helmet ones aren't. You're right though, I'm being crotchety.

catinabag1
2008-11-24, 08:09 AM
i don't wear a helmet a lot of the time but i always do for muni. anway i work at a fire department and today i went on a call where a guy fell out of the back of a semi truck and hit his head on the pavement and got messed up pretty good. he was bleeding out of his ear and was all sorts of jacked up. it only takes one hit to screw yourself up forever. maybe i'll take my own advice one day and wear a helmet all the time.

Tak
2008-11-24, 05:28 PM
From a purely safety point of view, therefore, wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing one. However, the same could be said for gloves, wrist guards, shin protectors, body armour and so on. Strangely, we do not have these constant debates about gloves or body armour.

The reason we have the debates about helmets is because there is considerable outside pressure to wear helmets
I think the reason for the perceived difference between helmets and other forms of body armor comes from the fact that an impact between a hard, solid object and an unprotected head is relatively likely, as injuries go, to result in death or permanent, life-altering damage; even a pretty bad impact on limbs or torso is only likely to result in broken bones (a few weeks of discomfort, generally followed by complete or near-complete recovery).

feel the light
2008-11-27, 07:37 AM
I live in the tropics, yet these tiny foam things, all full of holes, are totally forgotten as soon as I put it on.

Points to remember...

1 Get one with a visor. The visor is the best part of wearing a helmet. Mornings and evenings are the best time to ride, and having the sun in your eyes is a glaring design flaw in any trip.

2 Don't spend a lot. My Giro (maybe not the one in this picture), cost about 30 $. It weighs nothing, it's just a crafted chunk of foam with an excellent dial fit system (that all Giro helmets have I think). So don't blow big money on carbon fiber etc. The standard models are super light and comfortable-strong.

I only wear it on the 36. When I get trickier at trials and muni, maybe I will want to wear one then. Now, it's really only worth wearing on the 36, because of the visor, and the insurance it gives against the higher height and speed of the 36. I crash the 36 a lot in dumb ways because I ride long distances while tired-sight seeing etc. Also, at higher speeds, these vented helmets are not hot, while at slow speeds, maybe not so cool. I does help to cut all your hair off, and wear shades.:cool:

I don't think it's important to get the same model I have. Pick a Giro (is Bell the same ?) that is all full of holes, has a visor, and isn't way over 30 $ because the mid range models have excellent performance. They are all about 95 % EPS (expanded poly styrene, like an extra dense foam cup) plastic by weight, more or less, with a molded on thin hard outer shell. Other models may be as good, but I am sure the Giro fit system works really easy and well.:)

GILD
2008-11-27, 09:30 AM
are you taking the pith?

Can the americans plead the pith?

1wheelwonder
2008-11-29, 03:21 AM
I wear mine when learning a new trick, or a dangerous trick.