PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd Introduce myself

seanrquinn
2008-01-05, 12:49 AM
Hey all, it seems you all know each other pretty well, so I thought I'd introduce myself, name's Sean, pretty easy to remember with the username and all. I ordered a 24 inch sun flat top to start learning on, it is coming in monday. I got my inspiration from my friend, who I recently saw again for the first time in 3 years after he moved over to ireland. So, wish me luck!

Jerrick
2008-01-05, 12:54 AM
Good luck. =p

Welcome to the forums. If you have any questions once you get your uni, just post them in this thread, and people will help you out.

Or, search first, a lot of guides have been written on how to ride, and techniques and what to do.

ridingwithscissors
2008-01-05, 12:59 AM
Kia ora and welcome to the forums!

look forward to seeing you 'round!

Into the blue
2008-01-05, 01:03 AM
Groovy name.

Spoonthumb
2008-01-05, 02:18 AM
just thought id introuduce myself to you sean, i am the resident "everyone hates you guy" so nice to meet you, once your on here for a while you prolly wont like me to much but hey, it was fun while it lasted:p

edit: Oh and welcome to the forums

oneisenough
2008-01-05, 03:18 AM
welcome, hope you find the anwsers you are looking for, and if not, ask.

hope you enjoy tis forum and are a respectable resident as most are, but some...not quite:p(ignore them, and keep focus on the people you enjoy, and are helpful and friendly!!!

Danni
2008-01-05, 03:23 AM
Blablabla, Welcome and hello!

Any questions on unicycling, shoot me a PM.

Hazmat
2008-01-05, 03:39 AM
Blablabla, Welcome and hello!

Any questions on unicycling, shoot me a PM.
or me

and

Welcome to the forums my friend. My name is Harry but people call me Hazmat too also. :D

seanrquinn
2008-01-05, 06:58 AM
Sweet, I shall. Just making sure, I'm about 5'10, my inseam was 33 inches, a 24 inch uni would be fine right?

Funny how different forums act, like one of the other things I do for fun is paintball (a lot), and the forum I'm in for that is huge (one of the biggest in the world I think), if you post saying hello and introducing yourself, you'd get flamed, it's nice having a more family like forum :D

Jerrick
2008-01-05, 07:04 AM
Sweet, I shall. Just making sure, I'm about 5'10, my inseam was 33 inches, a 24 inch uni would be fine right?

Funny how different forums act, like one of the other things I do for fun is paintball (a lot), and the forum I'm in for that is huge (one of the biggest in the world I think), if you post saying hello and introducing yourself, you'd get flamed, it's nice having a more family like forum :D

Yeah, a 24" will work fine for you, or a 20" would. For learning I would use a 20" or a 24" but nothing else.

Youll have no problem being on any unicycles after you can ride.

seanrquinn
2008-01-05, 07:23 AM
Yeah I was thinking of getting a coker after I learn, just so I can ride to school and mess around. Or shell out 2k for a geared uni xD

sutton629
2008-01-05, 07:34 AM
yeah the gears sure are tempting but I never have money cus I keep on buying unicycles every time I have enough for any one I want. You are about to get your world rocked the first time you get on your new uni btw. You have begun an addiction like no other. I get a new uni monday also so I am all excited also. Gl and welcome. nobody bites (too hard) enjoy. search. ask.

PinkMuni
2008-01-05, 07:35 AM
hey, i'm Katie. i'm pretty new to the site too, but welcome! so, where you from?

saskatchewanian
2008-01-05, 07:49 AM
Welcome, a 20 or 24 would do you well for learning, a 26 isn't bad for getting started if you are a fast learner especially if you want to get into commuting etc.

Cokers are a blast and I think that very soon you will be able to get that geared uni for considerably less than 2k as the 2008 hubs will fit on any frame with machined bearings so you don't have to pay the inflated price for the special Schlumpf frame (and will will be less than 1k :) )

jamessd
2008-01-05, 10:26 AM

A new game comes to mind... Uni Paintball!

wheres_your_other_wheel
2008-01-05, 10:35 AM
A new game comes to mind... Uni Paintball!

wow thats a good idea :D or uni dodge ball :p

jamessd
2008-01-05, 11:02 AM
wow thats a good idea :D or uni dodge ball :p
Well thats definitely been done, i've done it lol. But paintball sounds lethal...

wheres_your_other_wheel
2008-01-05, 11:04 AM
Well thats definitely been done, i've done it lol. But paintball sounds lethal...

o ok :cool:
yer it would be crazy ud just fall down in shock lol

Jerrick
2008-01-05, 11:19 AM

Mmm, muni + paintball.

legtod2
2008-01-05, 01:05 PM
Friendly people here.

Lots of threads that you can read and catch up on what's up.

Welcome.

Hazmat
2008-01-05, 02:06 PM

1) Yes, cause i have one that i made myself and i'm 5'7 and can ride one with ease.
2) That's just stupid of them and they shouldn't treat you with disrespect or as you said "flamed". :mad:
3) We will always be here to help each other as that is what makes us great, friendly and at the same time. Build strong friendships and good rapport with others. :D
Yeah I was thinking of getting a coker after I learn, just so I can ride to school and mess around. Or shell out 2k for a geared uni xD
1) That would be awesome as i had 1 myself which was modded slightly.
2) :eek: THAT WOULD BE AWESOME AS WELL. :eek:

But just start small for now and then work your way up the unicycle ladder so to speak. Remember we are 1 big happy family who now has a new member.
So have fun and enjoy. :D

Your new friend
HAZMAT

wheres_your_other_wheel
2008-01-05, 02:20 PM
we are 1 big happy family

haha :D

Poseidon
2008-01-05, 04:05 PM
Welcome Buddy!

Have fun uni-ing!

Brian MacKenzie
2008-01-05, 04:13 PM
what, are you some kinda clown or something?

:rolleyes:

seanrquinn
2008-01-05, 06:49 PM
Ah, totally forgot to tell you all, I'm from central California, Katie's post reminded me. And I don't have to worry about commuting far, High School's about a mile away, nothing tough, going to try to learn how to glide as fast as I can because there's a lot of hills on the way to school and it's be nice to be able to just sit there on them and not try to pedal.

And yeah I'm hoping I can find somewhere new to get money from because how you guys put it, I'm getting into another super expensive habit. Paintball is insane, you pay ought 35 american for your ammo for maybe half a day (if you shoot like me) if you know where to get it, if you don't, you'll end up paying 50. Then you pay 20 american to get admission and high pressure air (or co2 if that's what you're using) fills, and then of course you have to pay for your marker, loader, and tank, which usually cost about 500 for the marker for a nice one, 100-150 for a nice loader, and 150-250 for a tank, keep in mind these tanks are where I don't complain about the price, the price is so that they are incredibly tested, I don't want a tank that's holding 4500 psi exploding in my armpit.

Brian MacKenzie
2008-01-05, 07:02 PM
Ah, totally forgot to tell you all, I'm from central California, Katie's post reminded me. And I don't have to worry about commuting far, High School's about a mile away, nothing tough, going to try to learn how to glide as fast as I can because there's a lot of hills on the way to school and it's be nice to be able to just sit there on them and not try to pedal.

And yeah I'm hoping I can find somewhere new to get money from because how you guys put it, I'm getting into another super expensive habit. Paintball is insane, you pay ought 35 american for your ammo for maybe half a day (if you shoot like me) if you know where to get it, if you don't, you'll end up paying 50. Then you pay 20 american to get admission and high pressure air (or co2 if that's what you're using) fills, and then of course you have to pay for your marker, loader, and tank, which usually cost about 500 for the marker for a nice one, 100-150 for a nice loader, and 150-250 for a tank, keep in mind these tanks are where I don't complain about the price, the price is so that they are incredibly tested, I don't want a tank that's holding 4500 psi exploding in my armpit.

Once you are up and riding, pedaling down hill, even though you are still pedaling, doesn't really count as 'pedaling' meaning, gravity is your friend and your legs just spin pretty freely under your control.

This is actually quite a cheap hobby. once you buy your coker, and your uni now, aside from some armour and a hydration pack, you are pretty clear of expenses. (if you want to be!)

wheres_your_other_wheel
2008-01-05, 07:31 PM
i dont think you can glide on a coker anyway :cool:

Brian MacKenzie
2008-01-05, 07:43 PM
i dont think you can glide on a coker anyway :cool:

haven't seen inner balance yet? :cool:

wheres_your_other_wheel
2008-01-05, 07:47 PM
haven't seen inner balance yet? :cool:

no ill look now

have you got a link?

Brian MacKenzie
2008-01-05, 08:25 PM
have you got a link?

Sure do :) Here you go (http://balanceproductions.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=56)

wheres_your_other_wheel
2008-01-05, 08:26 PM
Sure do :) Here you go (http://balanceproductions.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=56)

seanrquinn
2008-01-05, 10:18 PM
Ah, I would probably end up gliding on my 24 anyway, not planning to learn unispins and crankflips on a coker >.<

Hazmat
2008-01-06, 03:31 AM
Ah, I would probably end up gliding on my 24 anyway, not planning to learn unispins and crankflips on a coker >.<
That's cool that you're going with a 24" my friend. As for unispins on a coker, i wouldn't do it. :p

sutton629
2008-01-06, 06:39 AM
I used to play paint ball but i just sold my gun and all my stuff to buy my last uni. paint ball uni would be fun but I think that paint ball gets beat out by a unicycle. It is also much cheaper once you own the stuff. No ammo necessary.

seanrquinn
2008-01-06, 06:57 AM
Yeah I would take up uni as my main sport, but I have friends and team mates relying on me playing and keeping up well. I could imagine playing rec ball (friends and walk-ons playing easy going paintball, laid back potshotting) but not paintball like I play, constantly snapping in and out of bunkers to stay behind cover and shoot at somebody at the same time, calling out where they are so your team knows and can adjust accordingly, move and slide into your bunker in a heart beat (could be done on a uni). Just the action of snap shooting, which is when you stand or squat behind a bunker, and pivot to let your gun and head stick out to see and shoot, would be enough to unbalance you I think.

seanrquinn
2008-01-08, 03:36 AM
alright so im editing/uploading day 1 of my video diary. I'll post a link (youtube) when it's up

seanrquinn
2008-01-08, 07:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwSXa2Dku9s

there you go

saskatchewanian
2008-01-08, 07:58 AM
not bad for day one

It looks to me like you are trying to make the unicycle go and then you are trying to stay on top of it. I found it helped a lot to focus more on keeping the uni under you instead of trying to stay on top of the unicycle. have your body move then pedal to catch up if that makes any sense.

A tip for freemounting: purposely overshoot the pedal a few times to get the feel for the jump, the pressure on your back foot and your forward momentum. Once you can basically step over your unicycle with your dominant foot without the unicycle moving to much adjust your aim to land on the pedal so you can ride off.

I don't know if I would have been able to lean in a closed environment, having a open horizon to ride towards was fairly important to my learning. Practicing outside might help, or it might not, everyone learns differently.

I can tell you are already hooked though :)

seanrquinn
2008-01-08, 11:03 PM
Yeah I rode outside a little today, then it started raining, and I want to video EVERYTHING (I have no problem riding in the rain, i just cant get the camera wet), so I had to move inside.

Last night was indoors to video as well, the uni came in at 6:30, so it was pitch black outside. I'm takin a bit of a break cuz i totally smashed my tailbone when my tire got caught in the garage door strut.

seanrquinn
2008-01-14, 05:49 AM
I'm getting better :]

(short vid showing progress, sorry for crap quality, made from my phone).

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/seanrquinn/th_0113081600-01.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/seanrquinn/?action=view&current=0113081600-01.flv)