PDA

View Full Version : Advantages/Disadvantages of being Tall/Short

burjzyntski
2007-08-20, 03:49 AM
OK, so, to start off, I would like to say that I receive comments regarding my height on an almost daily basis. The two most frequently asked questions almost always come in the following order:
1) How tall are you?
2) Do you play basketball?

I reply with, " 6'5"; No." (Though sometimes I like to mess with them a bit by telling them that I am 5'17" - make them think a bit, you know ;) )

I can see a number of advantages for being tall (reaching things, longer strides, etc.), but there are also quite a number of disadvantages that most people do not think of, which are listed below:

a) not fitting in most showers (shower head too low, not enough room to move around).

b) hitting hands on ceiling fans while stretching or clothing oneself.

c) ducking to enter/exit some rooms.

d) not enough room in cars (headroom, legroom).

e) potential future back problems.

f) finding clothing that fits properly (35" inseam + 33" waist = difficultly buying pants that fit right, long arms + thin/long torso = difficulty buying longsleeve shirts)

I've been compiling a mental list over the past few days due to the increased interrogation that has come along with my new retail job (more contact with people), and I've been wondering if any of you "short people" have thought about similar advantages/disadvantages that you have over us "tall people"?

Size:
6'5", ~185lbs.

wickedbob
2007-08-20, 04:01 AM
Being tall I can fall harder.

johnfoss
2007-08-20, 04:06 AM
Short people don't covet the exit row on the plane.

Goats_On_Unicycles
2007-08-20, 04:06 AM
Oh mannnn... I'm only fifteen but people say that I look like I'm nineteen. Part of it is that I started growing a beard early but I think it's mostly cuz I'm tall.
People ask me what kind of car I have and stuff. It's funny. Last time I checked, I was just under six feet.

My main problem is purley an aesthetic issue. I think that I'd look better if I was shorter.
Also, most of my friends are kind of short and I stick out like a thumb.
A sore one.

johnfoss
2007-08-20, 04:07 AM
...I stick out like a thumb.
A sore one.If that's a recent picture of you in your avatar, I could think of something else people are looking at...

puresyn
2007-08-20, 04:08 AM
OK, so, to start off, I would like to say that I receive comments regarding my height on an almost daily basis. The two most frequently asked questions almost always come in the following order:
1) How tall are you?

I reply with, " 6'5"; No." (Though sometimes I like to mess with them a bit by telling them that I am 5'17" - make them think a bit, you know ;) )

I can see a number of advantages for being tall (reaching things, longer strides, etc.), but there are also quite a number of disadvantages that most people do not think of, which are listed below:

a) not fitting in most showers (shower head too low, not enough room to move around).

b) hitting hands on ceiling fans while stretching or clothing oneself.

c) ducking to enter/exit some rooms.

d) not enough room in cars (headroom, legroom).

e) potential future back problems.

f) finding clothing that fits properly (35" inseam + 33" waist = difficultly buying pants that fit right, long arms + thin/long torso = difficulty buying longsleeve shirts)

I've been compiling a mental list over the past few days due to the increased interrogation that has come along with my new retail job (more contact with people), and I've been wondering if any of you "short people" have thought about similar advantages/disadvantages that you have over us "tall people"?

Size:
6'5", ~185lbs.

A) Women love tall guys. Shorter the woman, the taller the man she likes.

B) When asked how tall you are, tell them "Tall enough to see the ozone layer deteriorating."

C) That means you can ride the crazy big choppers only reserved for tall guys.

D) Taller male ballroom dancers usually get higher points because they supposedly have more style given of equal skill to their shorter competitor.

E) That just means you can justify buying a convertible for a car.

Goats_On_Unicycles
2007-08-20, 04:12 AM
If that's a recent picture of you in your avatar, I could think of something else people are looking at...
Haha. I wear weird hats a lot but they're all normal to me so people stare at me and I can never figure it out!! It's funny.
A) Women love tall guys. Shorter the woman, the taller the man she likes.
Listen to The Bobs sing Nose to Nose.

johnfoss
2007-08-20, 04:26 AM
That just means you can justify buying a convertible for a car.Buy your convertible carefully! If you're too tall your vision will be blocked by the top of the windshield. Also you're going to want to drive with the top up from time to time...

I wear weird hats a lot but they're all normal to me so people stare at me and I can never figure it out!!What? Are you wearing a hat in that picture? It's hard to see. :D

captainkrunk61
2007-08-20, 04:27 AM
The two most frequently asked questions almost always come in the following order:
1) How tall are you?

AMEN TO THAT. I reply with:

6'6", 185lbs

And, I used to play.

So, we're close.

monkeyman
2007-08-20, 04:55 AM
Disadvantage: you're a FREAK!

Advantage: you can kick my ass for calling you a freak.

:p just kidding, Joe.

Hazmat
2007-08-20, 08:13 AM
This is from experience and the friends i know very well. :D

Advantages of being Short.
1) Run faster.
2) Ride this better. (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=644)
3) When playing Hide & Seek. You can hide virtually anywhere well.
4) Drive old Minis.
5) Drive Microcars (http://www.modernmicrocars.co.uk/images/p50sale.jpg) in general
and to sum it all up
6) This
(http://www.shortsupport.org/Research/samaras.html)
and

Ad and Dis of being short
7) Youtube it
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFWFxYGnP4Q)

Matt_V
2007-08-20, 04:28 PM
Im 6'3" 175 lbs.

It's hard to find sweaters that fit me perfectly.

One time when putting on my coat in my room I accidently punched my light ficture and smashed the glass plate that covered it.

Because expect me to be a basketball player, but I hate the sport.

I hit my head on stuff all the time.

I always stand out when im hanging around with short people.

thejdw
2007-08-20, 04:40 PM
This is from experience and the friends i know very well. :D

Advantages of being Short.
1) Run faster.
2) Ride this better. (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=644)
3) When playing Hide & Seek. You can hide virtually anywhere well.
4) Drive old Minis.
5) Drive Microcars (http://www.modernmicrocars.co.uk/images/p50sale.jpg) in general
and to sum it all up
6) This
(http://www.shortsupport.org/Research/samaras.html)
and

Ad and Dis of being short
7) Youtube it
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFWFxYGnP4Q)
the running faster part dossen't make much sence, surly longer strides would make you faster.

Falling4Fun
2007-08-20, 04:55 PM
My perspective comes from being 5'3". I think HAZMAT might have meant short people can take off faster then taller people. One major advantage I have is I don't hit my head on stuff. One disadvantage I came across was when I was in the military I wanted to join the Military Police and wasn't allowed to because they have to be 5'7" tall. Female MP's can be 5'3", but not the men. I can see there point because how intimidating does a man look at 5'3", but I was still not happy.

excaliber906
2007-08-20, 04:56 PM
I am somewhat tall for my age (6'1"), and I get asked those questions alot.

When people ask if you play basketball, respond "No, do you play miniature golf?" It works every time.

For advantages/disavantages, I think that tall people may not live as long. I mean, when is the last time you saw a 80-year-old 6'4" person walking around?

jamessd
2007-08-20, 05:00 PM
They say short people have worse tempers :p

seņor coolguy
2007-08-20, 05:18 PM
I mean, when is the last time you saw a 80-year-old 6'4" person walking around?

You know, after a while, old people usually start to shrink

sp4rky-m4rky
2007-08-20, 05:45 PM
Im just over 6ft, so far I have found more dissadvantages of being tall than advantages.

Here are a few disadvantages:
- your feet stick out and get cold when you sleep and beds are to short (also sleeping bags are way too short)
- you smack your head all the time (one doorway took me to the ground)
- get bad knees and growing pains
- have to buy realy big cloths to get the arm/leg length then they are realy big round the waist/chest

These are just a few that anoy me all the time

Borges
2007-08-20, 07:04 PM
I'm 6'6" and has almost always been tall for my age. The number one advantage was that noone picked fights against me in school.
Other advantages where that I reached the "You have to be this tall" at amusementpark rides sooner*.

Later in life it hasn't been much of an advantage.

Tall seatpost bend more easily than short ones.

I feel I have to sit at the back of the room when someone does a presentation so I won't block the view, and everyone always use too small fonts on their slides.

*Now those thingies you have to pull down over your shoulders to prevent you from flying off the rollercoster are often set too low. If they come down automaticly they mash themselves into my shoulders and don't come all the way down and the ride becomes unsafe and no fun.

Unitik908
2007-08-20, 07:31 PM
Well I'm right at 6 foot.
So, I can't really argue either way.
Hurray for being normal!!
Well not too tall or short I should say.

Chase

Langan
2009-08-26, 04:35 AM
6'7'' 242 pounds here.

I can say I'm freakshly big, especially where I live (Portugal).

I would say the biggest problem I have is getting long sleeved Sweters/shirts and shoes. I have to buy shoes in the US or in England!

I don't play basket, but I play rugby, so people tend to respect me.

The rest I see as an advantage, I always get the extra leg room spaces on plains (sometimes even upgraded to business or first class, free of charge, you just have to ask, and usually they will do it). I always get to go in the front seat in cars, even if others call shotgun :P.
It's absolutly a huge advantage at gigs, no matter where I am, I can see everything...
In cinemas etc, I sit where I want, it's not my problem, It's the person behind me that has the problem.

Overall I like my hight, I think it's cool, and it's a great ice breaker with girls, they just start off by saying, 'wow you're big'

But I don't want short people to feel bad, I'm sure theres lots of advantages of being the normal and boring height :D

crazyjoe
2009-08-27, 05:25 AM
Advantage to being tall:

Colleges will give you a scholarship for basketball, even if you don't play. I have a friend who is 15 years old and is already 6' 6". His doctors expect him to be 6'11" by the time he's 19. Colleges are already contacting him about playing basketball. And yes, he does play.

Disadvantage to being tall:

You can't be a fighter pilot in the Air Force. For a long, long time this was my dream job. Then I passed the 6' mark and an Air Force recruiter told me I was taller than the maximum height of 6'.

dan de man
2009-08-27, 06:42 AM
the only real downside for me ( 6'2" 140 pounds, 16 years of age)

postural hypotension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_hypotension)
basicly i feel lights headed pretty much every time i stand up after sitting down for a while

crazyjoe
2009-08-27, 06:55 AM

basicly i feel lights headed pretty much every time i stand up after sitting down for a while

Finally I have a name for this thing that has been plaguing my life! That happens to me every single time I stand up after sitting for more than 3 minutes, and it gets really annoying. Check out this post (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1262051&postcount=6768) in the "Today I... (brag thread)".

EDIT: I recently discovered that staying VERY hydrated prevents it from happening. If I'm dehydrated and it happens, I completely lose consciuosness and nearby furniture isn't very forgiving.

dan de man
2009-08-27, 07:22 AM
cool

i will wtry that

wobbling bear
2009-08-27, 05:42 PM
I don't think there is a correlation with tallness.
I am middle-sized (1.75 m now ... ) and I have always been suffering heavily from that.

SirSkillz
2009-08-27, 05:58 PM

Woah I'm almost the exact same size as you (I'm an inch taller and about 5 pounds heavier. I also always get the light headed feeling.

I think I should ride 24" street because a 20" is starting to look way too small for me.:cool:

critter
2009-08-28, 10:03 PM
My highest was 5'11'' and 3/4''. I now 5'11.(shrinkage)

Nobody really said I was tall..... until I moved to hawaii when I was 30. The state average is couple inches shorter than the mainland states. It's kind of flattering. I realized there was a lot of short people out here, but I didn't notice me towering over them.

Average size is good because you fit in the things people make.

nimblelight
2009-08-28, 10:11 PM

Ah no, that gets worse with age??

That Wikipedia article just ruined my day:p

When it happens to me, my vision blacks out and I get rather off-balance.

I'm right at 6', so no tallness issues here;), but my feet are an unusual shape so I can never find shoes that fit me properly.

tomblackwood
2009-08-29, 03:45 AM
Shorter guy + taller girl = more fun in the shower

carrieliney
2009-08-29, 05:03 AM
I'm 5'9, so not super tall, but pretty tall for a woman. I'm also 120lbs, so finding pants that fit properly and are long enough is a challenge. I get postural hypotension too, and my doctor said it was probably because of my size. I have a few other health issues related to my size as well. But I like being tall, even if it means scrunching down in small cars.

telton22
2009-08-29, 11:31 AM
Personally I'm 6 foot 2, which is not that tall but a good height i reckon. Taller than average, but not too tall.
My brother, on the other hand is 6' 3". He has just turned 14.

Mikefule
2009-08-29, 04:29 PM
I'm about five foot six and fifteen sixteenths.

Statistically, tall men earn more. Various studies have shown that every inch of height over about 5'7" is worth several hundred Pound/Dollars per year in income.

Tall men can enter the room and immediately gain a degree of respect from other males. Short men have to work for it.

Nearly all "lonely hearts" adverts from women say they WLTM a tall man.

Tall women are often at a disadvantage, sometimes generating a combination of jealousy and fear. Also, most men are not happy being shorter than their female partner. (Bernie Ecclestone is an honorable exception!:rolleyes:)

Mikefule
2009-08-29, 04:31 PM

Depends what they're doing in a shower. Tall bloke and short woman... ;)

knoxuni
2011-01-30, 05:28 AM
Me being 6'4 210lbs I can't be in smaller cars and trucks, I don't like buying jeans I wear a 36x38 a were the heck am I going to find that size. And shirts I were a xl tall hard to find. I do like being tall because the ladies like it (my girlfriend is 5'3), I also like being tall because I get alot of respect.

BillyTheMountain
2011-02-18, 11:48 PM

:eek: What a kooky thing to write!

MuniAddict
2011-02-19, 01:39 AM
Being short can definitely have its advantages! Didn't seem to bother Micky Rooney! (http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/2513/Jayne_Mansfield_Mickey_Rooney/) :p

Oh, and Dudley Moore didn't do too bad either!