PDA

View Full Version : distances

ajajaj
2007-05-06, 03:59 PM
Hey everyone,im new here,

just need some advice,

well ive been riding casualy for a year now exactly,and im doing a 12 mile bikathon on my unicycle depending on how it goes could be 25 miles,

i currently have a 20" unicycle and was wondering should i consider a bigger wheel for example 24"because of the distance,

it is in september so could anyone also suggest how i could train,

cheers,

aj

Hazmat
2007-05-06, 04:16 PM
Let me be the 1st to welcome you to the forums. Also this maybe better put in Rec.Sport.Unicycling :D

- Big wheels like the coker or 29er are faster, when and if you decide you want to ride them.
- I find that small wheels are easier to maneuver and to mount on.
- Most people learn on a 20" wheel as this is the BMX of the unicycling world.

Hoped this helped somehow my friend. Take care, have and welcome to unicyclist.com

Your new friend
Hazmat

ajajaj
2007-05-06, 04:23 PM
thanks thats helped a bit,

ill also bare it in mind when i post in the future =]

thank you

aj

Hazmat
2007-05-06, 04:27 PM
Any other (unicycle related) questions you want answered my friend?? :D

Qweld
2007-05-09, 02:36 AM
The lay of the land my have some infulence on your ride. I've allways thought riding a uni was like coasting. People think your really out there working instead of walking or riding a bike but, lets face it it's eisier than either. Unless.......... your going up or down hill. So if your walk athon has hills you might be better off with a smaller wheel although crank length will also have a bearing on it. With cranks the same length the smaller wheel should be eisier for going up hills than a big wheel but theres no such thing as a free lunch so you'll do more revolutions and maybe take longer to get up the hills. Coming down hills (steep ones) I'd go with a small wheel or you may find yourself at the bottom faster than you wanted. Although brakes will help there. If your in Kansas.........enjoy the ride.