PDA

View Full Version : help w/ riding down stairs....

xsunnyd591x
2007-03-10, 06:20 PM
so i used the search feature.. and i didnt find anything.
so if ur gonna burn me, just forget it.

how are you supposed to ride down stairs?
just lean forward and dont stop pedaling?

i wanted to try. but it was a 9 set. and i didnt feel like rolling to the bottom before i at least knew how to do it

henkka
2007-03-10, 07:15 PM
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Trials#Riding_down_stairs

Triball
2007-03-10, 07:55 PM
I have a strange phobia of stairs:D
It's ok for 3-4 sets, but anything more scares me. :o

ivan
2007-03-10, 08:14 PM
Start off small, progress unto big. Lean forward, pull up on the saddle and go for it. Stairsets are usually easier than they look.

craigcbr
2007-03-10, 09:52 PM
thats right i only started doin stair sets at the end of this weeeek and i can now do an 8 set on southport front its just about having the ballll to do it i found it was easy to use the same technique as if you were riding down a hill i lean back slightly and just pedel loads.

sp4rky-m4rky
2007-03-10, 10:27 PM
i always thought riding dorn stars was hard, i tried it a few times going realy slow and found it hard tthen i tried it on a 2 set going faster and thought it was easy so i tried a 5 set and now i no its easy just take some weight off the seat, stand a littl hold the seat and ride, easy

Jerrick
2007-03-11, 11:03 AM
Going at a decently fast pace does make it easier, but being able to do it slower is good anyways.

You could do what I do and just ride fast at sets as long as they aren't bigger then a 5-set and just fly over it, no jumping, just the speed carries you over the stairs.

thejdw
2007-03-11, 11:51 AM
I wan't to learn but I have one problem:
no stairs

henkka
2007-03-11, 04:05 PM
I wan't to learn but I have one problem:
no stairs
I've got same problem, but when I travel I can ride down stairs. :) Riding down stairs isn't very hard. If you're scared at first time take support from rail and try it that way.

thejdw
2007-03-11, 05:33 PM
I've got same problem, but when I travel I can ride down stairs. :) Riding down stairs isn't very hard. If you're scared at first time take support from rail and try it that way.
once uni is fixed I'll ask mum if I can run away to guildford ;)

xsunnyd591x
2007-03-11, 05:45 PM
yeah i did a 4 set and i found it to be SUPER easy. i guess the next step for me is a 9 set. cuz i dont know of anything in between.:o

thejdw
2007-03-11, 06:10 PM
yeah i did a 4 set and i found it to be SUPER easy. i guess the next step for me is a 9 set. cuz i dont know of anything in between.:o
just to help you with your maths ;)

phoeny
2007-03-11, 07:28 PM
i tryed to ride over some stairs and my i got hit in the balls by the seat :eek: don't really know what i did wrong tho :rolleyes: i guess i'll have to try again :D

xsunnyd591x
2007-03-11, 10:54 PM
mmmmmk i think ill figure it out. i guess it takes some practice, and a lot of pads!:D

now does anyone know how to ride down a quarter pipe? :rolleyes:

50 Percent
2007-03-24, 01:53 PM
all i can say is just do it!

bungalistic
2007-03-24, 08:20 PM
Think the most i've ever ridden was a 12 set (apart from a double set of more than 20, 2 sets both 10+, shallow easy steps though)
Its not really that hard but you do end up going at a fair speed and it does depend on the steepness of steps etc.
I started on a big set but just the bottom few then when I felt more confident started from the next step up and so on until I could ride the full set.

Ducttape
2007-03-25, 04:39 PM
i think the biggest stair set I've ridden is a 20+ stair but there was a 6 set above it and then the 20 stair then an 8 stair. that took a really long time to get, all I can say is just bomb down it as fast as you are comfortable going, if you go fast enough it's just like a really bumpy hill, if you go too slow you'll get bounced off, or suddenly stop mid set and just fall off, either ending up falling on the stairs or running down them. I've never been hurt going down stairs (well except the few times I've racked myself.)

Funicycle
2007-03-29, 06:58 PM
Hold on and prey.

michelangelo9109
2007-05-08, 02:09 AM
All I have done is a 6 stair but I am thinking of trying a 26 cause that is all I have to ride. Im scared of hurting my but or rist. I hope I dont die

Dr.Smash
2007-06-05, 06:46 PM
does it matter if i ride a 20 inch or a bigger one unicycle?

Triball
2007-06-05, 06:55 PM
On a bigger wheel it gets less bumpy. But I find myself more confident riding downstairs with a 20"

mattsmith
2007-06-05, 09:55 PM
...Lean forward, pull up on the saddle
...lean back slightly and just pedel loads
Aagh! Conflicting advice.:confused:

Lean forward? Lean back? Which is right?

Ivan has the more compelling case since craig says:
...i only started doin stair sets at the end of this weeeek ...
But can anyone clarify which is right, or is it just personal preference?

Ducttape
2007-06-06, 05:02 AM
Aagh! Conflicting advice.:confused:

Lean forward? Lean back? Which is right?

Ivan has the more compelling case since craig says:

But can anyone clarify which is right, or is it just personal preference?
I believe it's personal preference, I tend to do both ways you quoted depending on the size of the stair set and the the size of the stairs themselves.

hugah
2007-06-10, 10:35 PM
never tried stairs, rather jump off the 2 foot wall than go down the steps to get off my patio on my garden, must try it tommorow, see if your tips work :)

amanda.gallacher
2007-06-11, 09:47 PM
Riding down stairs is just like riding down a hill which is a bit bumpy.

beeper
2007-06-15, 11:54 PM
i dont have any stairs around where i live. this is a big problem for me. the nearest 4 set is 3 miles away, at the school where they wont let me ride.

but i travel a lot with my fam, and i brought my uni to ireland 2 weeks ago, and saw a 5 set, and wanted to impress my cousins, so i just went for it, and it wasn't bad, its just like riding a hill, reguardless of the bumpyness. im not going anywhere with stairs for a while, so im pretty much screwed with stairs.

thejdw
2007-06-16, 09:08 PM
i dont have any stairs around where i live. this is a big problem for me. the nearest 4 set is 3 miles away, at the school where they wont let me ride.

but i travel a lot with my fam, and i brought my uni to ireland 2 weeks ago, and saw a 5 set, and wanted to impress my cousins, so i just went for it, and it wasn't bad, its just like riding a hill, reguardless of the bumpyness. im not going anywhere with stairs for a while, so im pretty much screwed with stairs.
haha its a similar situation for me, my bigest is a 4 set

Jerrick
2007-06-17, 05:40 AM
haha its a similar situation for me, my bigest is a 4 set

Stairs are fun, once you get used to them, which takes a small amount of time, you can tackle and amount of stairs. I thikn the most I have ridden down were 40. 20 stairs, a 4 foot flat, then 20 more stairs.

silentspoon
2007-06-20, 02:01 AM
On a bigger wheel it gets less bumpy. But I find myself more confident riding downstairs with a 20"

Anyone done a large set on a Coker?

Ducttape
2007-06-20, 04:56 AM
not yet, I plan to tackle the 4 stair near my house soon though but that's not huge....

Triball
2007-06-20, 01:15 PM
That should be good , but with short cranks, you can't break much, so a lot stairs could get really fast......and that would be scary:D

thejdw
2007-06-20, 08:06 PM
yup, In inner balence

Ducttape
2007-06-21, 03:46 AM
That should be good , but with short cranks, you can't break much, so a lot stairs could get really fast......and that would be scary:D
I have a brake on my coker, granted I'm not very good at using it yet though....

thejdw
2007-06-24, 09:39 PM
I have a brake on my coker, granted I'm not very good at using it yet though....
is there a skill to it? :confused:

Ducttape
2007-06-25, 04:21 AM
is there a skill to it? :confused:
yeah you can't push it too hard or you go flying off the front and if you don't push it enough then you don't slow down

heelnipper
2007-06-25, 10:54 PM
i did my first 3 set last night saturday night....it was all i could find inside my church so....

thejdw
2007-06-26, 03:57 PM
yeah you can't push it too hard or you go flying off the front and if you don't push it enough then you don't slow down
oh I see

jamessd
2007-06-30, 08:26 PM
Well the first set i've done was about 6. They were quite steep so I was a little aprehensive!! I went quite fast... felt like I was skimming the stairs, which is what it looks like in vids i've seen, but I ended up going sideways by the bottom :(
Since that one time I tried it... I haven't tried it again cos I haven't been there! Hopefully i'll improve some time.

dudewithasock
2007-07-01, 06:49 PM
The most I've done is a 7 or 8 stairset with fairly large stairs, the key is to go fairly fast and I stand by the doctrine of leaning back slightly. You kinda have to force the leaning and it might not feel totally natural at first, but it helps you kind of even out your center of gravity.

jamessd
2007-07-03, 04:59 PM
Here's the vid I jsut uploaded of my first try at stairs [what I was talking about above ^^^], if you wana take a look.

skilewis74
2007-07-13, 12:52 AM
If you are in the Boston area, at one of the stops for the Red Line of the "T" (subway) There are 12 12 sets w/ about 12 ft. in between each. Also there is an escilator for the full length right next to it.
I think it's at the Alewife Station (http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/stations/?stopId=10029&lat=42.395261&lng=-71.142449)
i tryed to ride over some stairs and my i got hit in the balls by the seat :eek: don't really know what i did wrong tho :rolleyes: i guess i'll have to try again :D
Wear cycling shorts.

unikid132
2008-01-22, 10:38 PM
stairs are a hill with bumps enough said

poofengle
2008-02-21, 04:12 AM
Start slow. 3, 4, and 5's are good to start, then you can work up to the bigger ones once you've mastered the small stuff. The trick that really helped me, I actually learned riding muni in moab. You sorta stand off the seat about an inch so you have some distance between your ass and the bumps. Then, pull up hard on the handle so the uni doesn't get away from you, because if that happens forget about it, you'll just fly off and possibly get hurt. Hope this helps :)

theSCO
2008-02-21, 03:54 PM
it is easier than it looks.....start on on a 3 or 4 set with wide steps and work your way up

jamessd
2008-02-21, 03:57 PM
it is easier than it looks.....start on on a 3 or 4 set with wide steps and work your way up
Wide steps are harder because it makes it more bumpy, look for stairs that aren't wide to ride on.

theSCO
2008-02-21, 09:06 PM
Wide steps are harder because it makes it more bumpy, look for stairs that aren't wide to ride on.

yes they are bumpier but not necessarily harder. wide steps also give the beginner comfort because they are not as steep....it is more like going down multiple curbs than a steep hill.....in a pinch you can "stop" easier than on steep steps.

jamessd
2008-02-21, 11:52 PM
yes they are bumpier but not necessarily harder. wide steps also give the beginner comfort because they are not as steep....it is more like going down multiple curbs than a steep hill.....in a pinch you can "stop" easier than on steep steps.
Bumpier means harder.

Riding down consequent kirb height steps is not like riding down stairs, therefore will not help. It would turn into some kind of rollercoaster ride.

Riding down a normal stairs set should be smooth and continuous, and ultimately easier.

theSCO
2008-02-22, 03:45 AM
Bumpier means harder.

Riding down consequent kirb height steps is not like riding down stairs, therefore will not help. It would turn into some kind of rollercoaster ride.

Riding down a normal stairs set should be smooth and continuous, and ultimately easier.

ok you win...haha XD

unikid132
2008-02-29, 10:35 PM
i also agree with jamesss
wide steps are harder
i learned on a 5 normal stair and worked up to an 8 stair.

then i went to philadelphia and went down wide steps. (91 in total) (7 sets of 13)

i had to go down them on an angle.

however i could go straight down 1 set at a time but it was challenging.

just start on 3 and work up.

hope this helped!

~troy

caudy
2008-03-01, 11:20 AM
mmmmmk i think ill figure it out. i guess it takes some practice, and a lot of pads!:D

now does anyone know how to ride down a quarter pipe? :rolleyes:

I rode down a quatr pipe for the first time the other day. Its best to start small so that you don't get to sacred when you at the top. I bunnyhop up to the edge so that I'm facing sideways almost. I then jump into the ramp landing somewhere between the middle and the top of the curve, twisting in the air so that I'm facing forwards and so that I can roll out of the ramp. The most important thing is to clear the metal bar at the top of the ramp.

I can manage a 4 or 5 set of steps but for some reason when there are any more steps I just can't muster up the courage to ride down them. I think it's just the thought that if I mess up early on theres quite a few more hard edged concrete objects between me and the flat ground.

thejdw
2008-03-02, 12:42 PM
I agree, I tried a huge set with wide steps for the first time and got the hang of it very quickly.

jamessd
2008-03-02, 12:56 PM
I agree, I tried a huge set with wide steps for the first time and got the hang of it very quickly.
Ok, so now you can ride down a series of kirbs - but not steps.

theSCO
2008-03-04, 08:22 PM
Ok, so now you can ride down a series of kirbs - but not steps.

well its a start

samsta002
2008-04-01, 09:33 AM
i did a 2 set on a wharfish thing over a lake at a park where a go a lot :D once, and my foot came off and i scraped heaps of skin off on the bony bit of my ankle
still landed the stairs but had a fair bit of blood to come
stairs aren't that hard- you just need to go for them with a lot of confidence:)
working on some bigger sets now;)