PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of cats?

wobbling bear
2006-10-23, 11:12 AM
I dare post this curious question here... I do not know what to do...
I have a garden, and cats love my garden.
So they come and think "this is a cute place" and they take down their pants and sh*t all over the place.
Educated cats usually dug holes and hid their ****. No More!
modern cats are hooligans!
So when my grandchildren come and play in the garden .... oh no that stinks!
I have tried bombs they sell in drugstore, cats don't care.
I am not going to get a rifle (because I do not want old ladies in the neighborhood to miss their cat).
So what can I do?

monkeyman
2006-10-23, 11:15 AM
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ARP/ARP113/Beartrap.jpg

iridemymuni
2006-10-23, 11:17 AM
reminds me of this thread (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49655&highlight=multicrop)

kington99
2006-10-23, 12:47 PM
Water pistol, im serious get a supersoaker and blast any cats that trespass, no harm done but they won't be back again.

Seager
2006-10-23, 01:06 PM
there are pheromones you can buy to keep them away. Search petco and petsmart for cat control, and do a seperate google search. You'll find tons of options.

Zzagg
2006-10-23, 01:20 PM
modern cats are hooligans!...or courageous! I myself would never lay a foot into a bears garden... as for sh***ing in it:D...
Whatersoaker, though a bit "violent", seems like a good (and fun :D ) way to deal with those cats (I love cats, BTW;) )

James_Potter
2006-10-23, 02:19 PM
One of my friends had cats, and some real mean neighbors, and the mean neighbors had a garden, and so my friends cats liked to go in the mean neighbors garden, and the mean neighbor killed the cats.
Don't do that.
But I agree with the water gun method!

UniBrier
2006-10-23, 02:22 PM
Any ID on the cats? You can always reciprocate.

Click here (http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=cattrap11n&date=20061011&query=cat) to read about our local controversy over trapping the neighbor's cat.

patmoore
2006-10-23, 02:46 PM
"I love cats - let's exchange recipes....."

I don't know how effective it would be but loading a regular squirt gun with ammonia might be an effective deterrent.

Catboy
2006-10-23, 03:23 PM
Post something mean about them on Rec.Home.Cat-Gardening or something.

bcwheelriderguyhehehehehe
2006-10-23, 03:30 PM
Latley I've been favoring the paintbal gun:D But I used to just use those cheap little airsoft guns.

wobbling bear
2006-10-23, 03:36 PM
the water gun has already been tried.
BUT:
- cheap built: can't reach the cats at 15 meters
- you've got to be there when the cat is trespassing (and they don't usually take out their pants when I am watching)

aren't the chemicals products washed away when it rains?

harper
2006-10-23, 03:36 PM
Cats are flammable.

Brian MacKenzie
2006-10-23, 04:46 PM
http://www.catscat.com.au/

mornish
2006-10-23, 06:41 PM
you could make a super soaker flamethrower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpAn66CAS7w)... that could be a little mean though:eek:

BluntRM
2006-10-23, 06:53 PM
the water gun has already been tried.
BUT:
- cheap built: can't reach the cats at 15 meters
- you've got to be there when the cat is trespassing (and they don't usually take out their pants when I am watching)

aren't the chemicals products washed away when it rains?

Motion sensor and a sprinkler system? You could humanely trap them and try reasoning with the beasts.

kington99
2006-10-23, 06:57 PM
Motion sensor and a sprinkler system?

I was going to say that, my neighbour has one for keeping herons and cats off his koi pond. Don't know if anykind of ultrasonic device would work, we have one for moles which is pretty effective.

James_Potter
2006-10-23, 07:29 PM
http://www.catscat.com.au/
I rather like that idea, not as much fun as a water gun, but probably more effective.

Brian MacKenzie
2006-10-23, 07:34 PM
I rather like that idea, not as much fun as a water gun, but probably more effective.

Water guns are great indoor cat deterrants, where the cats actually learn their limits on what is cute and what is a no-no. I don't think they would be effective on outdoor cats unless you sat in a rocking chair on your porch with a shot water gun in your lap.

bcwheelriderguyhehehehehe
2006-10-23, 07:38 PM
Sounds like my mom hehe^^ but seriously she sat in a wicker rocking chair on the porch with a 12 gauge when the neighbor's "free range" sheep ate our garden.

Unimichael
2006-10-23, 10:39 PM
Water pistol, im serious get a supersoaker and blast any cats that trespass, no harm done but they won't be back again.
Really?
You can hit a cat with a fire hose and find it back under the bird feeder the following day.
Our county provides traps (Live traps) and require you to put a sign in the yard to tell your neighbors to call animal control if Fluffy disappears unexpectly.
If you know the owner, you might talk to them regarding the shorter life expectancy of a cat that's allowed to roam as opposed to a cat that remains indoors. (Many cat friendly sites provide mortality rates, and other unexpected outcomes of loose cats.)
Cruelity is not an answer, throwing things at the cat will just make run from you sooner and not protect your properity.
Cat feces also carry desease, see if the local health department have any intervention policy.

harper
2006-10-23, 11:31 PM
Really?
You can hit a cat with a fire hose and find it back under the bird feeder the following day.

I didn't have that problem. I had a neighbor with several cats. One of them like to roam in through my basement door and pee in the bedroom down there. I went down to the basement once and the back door was open. I shut it. Just then the cat came out of the bedroom. Goody.

I closed all the doors to the rest of the house and backed the car out of the garage. I herded the cat into the garage and closed the door to the basement. I attached a garden hose to the sink in the basement and put a nozzle on the end. I turned it on and went into the garage. I hosed that cat down like nobody's business. There were two rails that the garage door went up on and he managed to climb and try to hide behind one of them. There was no place for him to go so I drenched him for a few minutes.

After about a half hour he climbed down from the door rail. Then I opened the door and let him out, completely soaked and uninjured. That cat never came near our yard again.

bugman
2006-10-24, 03:58 AM
Bear,

Option 1 Scarecrow...Motion activated water sprinkler. You can get them from bugspay.com

Option 2 Super Soaker with Coyote/Bobcat or Red Fox Urine. You can get them from bugspray.com Cats returning with this aroama don't come back very often.

Option 3 Pooper scooper. You can get that at a pet store. Dump the cat crap in your neighbors doorstep.;) Why can't people keep their cats indoors? They are not indigenous, and reak havok on the local bird population.

Harper, why did you put the hose on the faucet, wouldn't the exhaust pipe have worked better?:D

UniBrier
2006-10-24, 04:40 AM
Any ID on the cats? You can always reciprocate.
Option 3 Pooper scooper. You can get that at a pet store. Dump the cat crap in your neighbors doorstep.Another option: 1. Befriend the offending cat. 2. Fashion a little kitty backpack that will not fall off the cat. 3. Load the backpack with the offending objects and send them home with the cat. 4. Friendly note optional.

toddw9
2006-10-24, 04:49 AM
i keep a bb gun by the back door for precisely this purpose. It's relatively low power, so it doesn't kill the cat, not that i'd be heartbroken if it did, i hate cats. There's about 4 cats in the neighbourhood who don't come near our yard. they learned their lesson the first time. There's a new cat in the neighbourhood though that clearly hasn't been warned by the other neighbourhood cats. It will learn soon enough.

harper
2006-10-24, 06:19 AM
Harper, why did you put the hose on the faucet, wouldn't the exhaust pipe have worked better?

No pressure.

tumblebug rollin
2006-10-24, 10:24 AM
You can't teach a cat to stay off the table or out of anywhere elce; but, you can teach them to be damn sneaky about it.

wobbling bear
2006-10-24, 11:15 AM
Option 1 Scarecrow...Motion activated water sprinkler. You can get them from bugspay.com

not found...
I would probably like somehting like that.

tobbogonist
2006-10-24, 11:43 AM
This thread reminds me of that joke about the bear and the squirel were the bear is having himself a stool in the woods just as a squirrel walks past. the bear turns to the squirrel and says "hey squirrel! have you ever had problem with sh*t sticking to your fur?" to which the squirrel replies, somewhat puzzled "well no my dear bear i cant say that i have". "good" replies the bear and then promptly picks up the squirrel and wipes his bottom with it.

Maybe you could try this? would be good for a laugh if anything

ivan
2006-10-24, 11:46 AM
It's not have you ever had, it's do you have. It's an excellent joke, I love it. Somewhat disgusting.

tobbogonist
2006-10-24, 11:53 AM
opps, i guess it gets the message across either way. made me laugh when i first heard it. now i am picturing, mentally, wobbling bear chasing cats around a fairytale backyard with his pants down asking "do you have?"

bugman
2006-10-24, 12:22 PM
not found...
I would probably like somehting like that.

Try Here (http://www.accountwizard.com/clients/shop.asp?Web=bugspray&AW_SessionID=AWEngine2006000000791999886868866k86k886kId6S86S886kSite6N8 6k186k&page=search)

yoopers
2006-10-24, 12:44 PM
My solution is for hire.

iridemymuni
2006-10-24, 12:47 PM
My solution is easy. print off, laminate, stick out the front of your garden.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15648&stc=1&d=1160880923

yoopers
2006-10-24, 12:54 PM
My solution is easy. print off, laminate, stick out the front of your garden.

Much more effective! :D