PDA

View Full Version : Night shift: Help! :-)

UNIquelyCanadian
2006-03-22, 11:15 PM
I've started working full time doing shift work. This week I'm working 12-8am So far I've slept during the day and then a couple of hours before the start of the shift.

Does anyone have ideas on how to survive night shift?

TheObieOne3226
2006-03-22, 11:25 PM
Sleep during the day.

monkeyman
2006-03-22, 11:41 PM
quit

Radical Reed
2006-03-22, 11:45 PM
RED BULL!! that stuff is good exsept for the fact that it can cause epilepsy:eek:

UNIquelyCanadian
2006-03-22, 11:47 PM
Yup, that works!

Uh, on second thought, does anyone else have any ideas? :D :confused:

trials2k
2006-03-23, 12:01 AM
become a coffee/espresso drinker, it isnt as harmful as caffeine drinks like V and Red Bull!!

or u could take No-Doz tablets, very effective ;)

or speed if ur into it

trials_uni
2006-03-23, 12:29 AM
Coffee... make friends with it. what kind of work do you do anyways?

Murde Mental
2006-03-23, 01:06 AM
Well me and my friends are getting into "polyphasic" sleep this summer since we're going to have alot of free time to cope with the changes of our biological clock...

That might be an option... but it's kindof drastic... and maybe not all that safe.

:-P

JJuggle
2006-03-23, 01:12 AM
I worked the night shift one summer when I was about your age. I went home and slept right after the shift. My folks were at work and didn't disturb me. I'd get up and enjoy the evening and then go to work.

Shouldn't you be in school?

Brian MacKenzie
2006-03-23, 01:21 AM
http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/rubriques/b/b10_drogue/cocaine/cocaine-snif.jpg

bmemike
2006-03-23, 01:23 AM
It takes a few weeks to become fully adjusted, but as long as you just shift your sleep time and try to stick a semi-similar schedule on the weekends, it's not too bad. It's just that first adjustment period that is a bit rough.

maestro8
2006-03-23, 01:34 AM
It shouldn't be a problem after your body has become used to the new patterns of sleep / awake time. That could take a while, though. Keep in mind that these patterns are biologically driven, and exporsure to the sun is a major factor. Your "off" time (esp. after your shift) should be spent in a dim or dark room, and your bedroom should be kept as dark as possible to promote the best sleep (at least that was the case for me).

Developing a routine that you follow each day may help... take a short ride every morning, eat a light meal just before you go to work, etc. Diet and exercise always helps... eat lighter meals more often (stay away from fatty foods... they'll make you tired!) and drink lots of water. Your body is going to be a bit shocked by your new routine.

When you wake up spend some time in the sun before you go to work. If the sun is setting, go somewhere bright, where there's a lot of lighting. While at work you should be in an environment that is as bright as possible. Keep your mind and body active while at work... physical exercises every hour really helps (even if it's just a few minutes of stretching, walking around the building).

What kind of work are you doing? Making your work fun and enjoyable helps the hours go by...

monkeyman
2006-03-23, 01:57 AM
Leave it to Maestro to write a novel for a simple question
:rolleyes: ;)

UNIquelyCanadian
2006-03-23, 02:38 AM
It shouldn't be a problem after your body has become used to the new patterns of sleep / awake time. That could take a while, though. Keep in mind that these patterns are biologically driven, and exporsure to the sun is a major factor. Your "off" time (esp. after your shift) should be spent in a dim or dark room, and your bedroom should be kept as dark as possible to promote the best sleep (at least that was the case for me).

Developing a routine that you follow each day may help... take a short ride every morning, eat a light meal just before you go to work, etc. Diet and exercise always helps... eat lighter meals more often (stay away from fatty foods... they'll make you tired!) and drink lots of water. Your body is going to be a bit shocked by your new routine.

When you wake up spend some time in the sun before you go to work. If the sun is setting, go somewhere bright, where there's a lot of lighting. While at work you should be in an environment that is as bright as possible. Keep your mind and body active while at work... physical exercises every hour really helps (even if it's just a few minutes of stretching, walking around the building).

What kind of work are you doing? Making your work fun and enjoyable helps the hours go by...

Thanks. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. :)

I'm not quite sure how to define what I do. I'm working at a hardwood plywood dryer. The 4'x4' by 1/4inch thick sheets need swung and sorted into different bins. It's basically steady fast aerobic exercise in a brightly lit area.

I just graduated from high school after Christmas. Iím continuing with part time (9 credits per semester) collage via distance edu. and now am working full time as well.

The problem with adjusting is that your on a different shift each week.

I'm off to bed. :)

trials_uni
2006-03-23, 02:46 AM
that switching back and forth from night to day shift is gonna mess your internal clock right up... you still havent answered...what kind of work do you do?

monkeyman
2006-03-23, 02:47 AM
I'm not quite sure how to define what I do. I'm working at a hardwood plywood dryer. The 4'x4' by 1/4inch thick sheets need swung and sorted into different bins. It's basically steady fast aerobic exercise in a brightly lit area.

he didn't?

trials_uni
2006-03-23, 03:00 AM
so a lumber sorter?? is that what you do?

One on one
2006-03-23, 03:53 AM
so a lumber sorter?? is that what you do?

I'm off to bed. :)

I don't think that he's going to answer you tonight.

koebwil
2006-03-23, 03:58 AM
Sleep before you go to work, and stay up a bit after work. As for staying up, coffee is your friend. The only other advice I have is try to have some fun at work and for God's sake don't wear a watch!

monkeyman
2006-03-23, 04:03 AM
Bring your uni for breaks

markf
2006-03-23, 04:06 AM
my advice is to make your bedroom(or whatever room you're sleeping in) as dark as possible. when i was sleeping during the day the hardest part was getting the room so i'd want to fall asleep.

Wheel Rider
2006-03-23, 02:52 PM
I've started working full time doing shift work. This week I'm working 12-8am So far I've slept during the day and then a couple of hours before the start of the shift.

You have to get into a routine that works for you.

There is a tendancy for nightshift people to sleep A LOT. Go to bed at the same time every day and set your alarm to get up after 7 or 8 hours (whatever works for you) but don't get into the habit of "sleeping in" everyday. When I was working nights, I got into a rut of working and sleeping and that was it. No time for other activities.

Stay away from coffee and caffinated drinks. They will keep you from sleeping when it is time to sleep. With proper sleep, you will not need the coffee, etc.

Try to stay on your "night" routine even on weekends but that is hard. Your family and the rest of the world will expect you to become a "day" person on weekends.

I worked nights for about 2 years and do not want to do it again. Some people enjoy it for various reasons.

markf
2006-03-23, 04:42 PM
i kind of enjoyed it. i woke up around 2 pm and went to be between 7-9 am. it was kinda nice. i was able to run errands (liek the bank) before work, and not be hassled by crowds of people doing grocery shopping or whatever afterwards. i worked 9pm-5am. on my days off nothing happened before 3-4 pm anyway (hurrah for living in a college town) so i was up and ready for all that. i'm kinda glad i'm on a regular schedule now but i do kinda miss the night job.

cathwood
2006-03-23, 06:53 PM
I worked alternate shifts for years - luckily not nights very often.

Anyway, what worked best for me was to turn everything round exactly. so when I got up at about 5pm I would eat breakfast. I would have 'lunch' and 'tea' at the appropriate intervals. I would also drink a lot of water. It felt like I had to 'force' my kidneys to work at a time when I would usually be sleeping - people who didn't do this found that they were much disturbed during thier 'night' by needing the toilet, as thier kidneys worked their usual day shift. Also lots of fibre during the day so other things work well too. Your body is going to be more sluggish as it is used to being asleep during these times.

Also, what worked well for me was NEVER sleeping in my break.

Be careful if you drive because driving after a nigh shift is almost as dangerous as driving when you're drunk - due to the sleep deprivation.

Cathy

Wheel Rider
2006-03-23, 07:29 PM
Be careful if you drive because driving after a nigh shift is almost as dangerous as driving when you're drunk - due to the sleep deprivation.

Cathy
Working a night shift should not equate to sleep deprivation. You have to adjust your life schedule so you get proper rest.

UNIquelyCanadian
2006-03-25, 03:13 AM
I'll have time to put into practice some of the advice you guys gave. Next week I'm on nights too.

I've slept during the day, then work on courses in the evenings then try to get a few hours sleep before 12. Where I work is two minute unicycle (even on a 20":D ) ride way so I don't waste time getting to work and I can come home on breaks.

It's good to hear that other people have done nightshift and lived to tell about it! :) Does anyone else have any nightshift experience?

Jerrick
2006-03-25, 03:21 AM
I havent had a night shift job, but durring the summers i become a wake up at 6pm stay up during the night and early morning, the go to sleep and sleeping during the day, and if your gonna have night shifts for a while i suggest getting into a habbit like that, BECOME THE OWL!!!

cathwood
2006-03-25, 02:07 PM
Working a night shift should not equate to sleep deprivation. You have to adjust your life schedule so you get proper rest.

I take your point.

With nursing though, and continually chaning shifts the routine goes like this:
1st day (night) of nights I didn't sleep all day because I'd been in the land of the day people the day before, so I may get an hour or so in somewhere if I had had a late night the night before (although this was dodgy because if I couldn't sleep for some reason I would be even more down on my sleep). So taking my son to playgroup in the moring of the first night I would think "By the time I come back here tomorrow I wont have slept at all". So that would be 24 hours without sleep - yes I was sleep deprived driving home.

2nd and subsequent nights - into a good routine but remain tired.

Last night of nights - worked night then would go to bed but would get up at lunch time so that I would be able to sleep that night and get back into not working nights.

Actually I would work something like 3 or 4 nights on duty and then 3 or 4 nights off, so everytime I was off I would go through this process. And to my workings out I lost half a night's sleep every week and found it difficult to sleep when back in the land of day people.

Thank goodness I don't have to do it any more.

Cathy

Wheel Rider
2006-03-25, 02:57 PM
... and continually changing shifts ...Thank goodness I don't have to do it any more.

Cathy
Rotating shifts might equate to sleep deprived. The computer department in my office had rotating shifts for years then finally gave it up. People work the same shift all the time now.

Rotating shifts is a strain on your body. Glad you don't have to do it anymore.

domesticated ape
2006-03-25, 05:58 PM
I did a summer of alternately two weeks nights and two weeks days, working 7-til-7 4 days a week.

I thounght I wouldn't be able to handle it because I'm definitely not a morning person, but once I got used to it it wasn't too bad.

I would go to bed when I got home, and get up in the afternoon.

One thing that worked for me was to drink tons of water, rather than stimulants like coffee. I also ended up eating about 5 meals a day, most of the guys that had worked there were pretty fat, I think if I had stayed I would be pretty hefty by now too!

UNIquelyCanadian
2006-06-01, 08:23 AM
I followed some of your advice, so far nightshift hasn't been that hard on me. I sleep after work for as long as I can then try to get a few hours before I go in at 12. Most of the time I end up getting enough sleep to get me through the week.

However, this morning I was late for work. :( I had two alarms set, somehow I turned both off without waking up! My Mom happened to be up and woke me so I was only 2 minutes late but I had to go to work in my PJ's.

Any ideas how to get up for night shift? Maybe hide the clock?