PDA

View Full Version : I solved the worlds gun problem

habbywall
2006-03-05, 03:18 AM
so here is the solution to the worlds guns killing people problem,

just stop making them, duhh, if you stop making guns and bullets we will run out of guns and bullets and then the problem will be over.
its just that simple

MERCYME
2006-03-05, 03:22 AM
Wordddd....

trials_uni
2006-03-05, 03:45 AM
3 flaws...1.that will just send people into a buying frenzy to purchase all of the remaining guns and bullets
2. people will still have the guns and bullets they had before you stopped making new ones.
3. every one will just hone their sniping skills to conserve on bullets so they kill with one rather than 20 bullets

infact your plan is really under thought..all you would do is usher in a new age of warfare.

James_Potter
2006-03-05, 03:49 AM
if you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns. and that would be about a bazillion times worse. guns are not bad in any way, only people are.

yoopers
2006-03-05, 04:00 AM
Solved means that it's done, that there is no more problem, providing there is a problem to begin with. What you've done is nothing more than offer a theory.

jsm
2006-03-05, 06:03 AM
Technically it's a hypothesis. A theory has to be supported by research.

In case you didn't know, it is quite possible to make a gun on your own, although the kind usually made is not as usable as a professionally manufactured gun. If production of guns was banned, criminals would make them on their own. If they couldn't get guns, criminals would use knives and clubs again instead of guns, so you wouldn't really make a difference in crime.

toddw9
2006-03-05, 06:50 AM
I am most definitely not a fan of your proposed solution. For one, I don't think that guns are as big a problem as they are made out to be. Sure, people get killed by guns every day, and it would be great to stop that or at the very least, reduce it, but there are also plenty of guns owned and used by responsible people who use them for their own enjoyment. Personally, I enjoy shooting recreationally. I have a possession/acquisition license, which basically says I have the knowledge and the sanity to responsibly own a gun and therefore am legally allowed to buy and own a gun in Canada.

Besides, as already stated, making a gun is easy too, so stopping production of guns is really just wishful thinking; there's no way you can stop it. It's like drugs, they may be outlawed, but it sure doesn't stop them from being produced and distributed.

Here comes the politics, those that don't like threads involving should get out now.

I also think a gun registry is an absolutely ridiculous idea, it doesn't solve a thing. The guns being used in crimes are usually black market guns, and most criminals with half a brain know better than to use a registered gun.

In Canada, our last Prime Minister had this "great idea" that handguns should be outlawed altogether, his main reasoning is the recent increase in the gun crime, mostly in the Toronto area. His idea has basically the same flaw. The guns being used in crimes are a)not registered, and b)usually smuggled across the border from the US. Now tell me, how is outlawing handguns going to solve a thing? The government is punishing the majority, who are law abiding, responisible gun owner because of the minority, a few irresponsible gun owners who not only have unregistered, illegal firearms, they also don't give two sh*ts about the law anyway and aren't going to change their ways.

While I think a certain amount of control is necessary (I completely agree with the fact that a license is required to buy and own a gun or ammunition), for the most part I think the ideas that our government is coming up with are absolutely ridiculous, although I can appreciate that they are making an effort with regards to this matter.

TheoELind
2006-03-05, 06:55 AM
make the bullets worth $5,000. Duh.

toddw9
2006-03-05, 07:00 AM

It's still really really easy to make your own shells. Doesn't take much time either. I know a few guys who do it.

john_childs
2006-03-05, 08:02 AM
You are also going to need to erase all knowledge about how to make your own gun powder, how to make your own shells, and how to make your own guns.

It wouldn't be too difficult for a criminal element (organization) to get together the expertise and equipment necessary to make their own guns and ammo and do a pretty good job of it. It's just machining and chemistry. It wouldn't be too hard to do in secret. They already manage to manufacture meth and other various drugs along with managing large pot growing enterprises. Getting a secret machine shop together to build guns would be easy. Same for making ammo.

Jerrick
2006-03-05, 08:20 AM
You can never solve the gun issue;

There will always be sick minded ppl that intend to hurt or kill with guns, always gonna be kids that grab there parents gun that they so irresponsable to leave in an easy reach and the little kid kills him or their friends.

If you take away the guns, ppl will steal, fight, or pay high prices to get them, ammo can be made eaily...

There really isnt a way to end gun problems, ever since the first projectile device was made there was a problem, and if we get rid of every gun and ammo, ppl will just use other methods of harming others, life sucks... lol

swarbrim
2006-03-05, 09:28 AM
"Guns are a tool, a tool that we [/pause] like very much"

-Texan Police officer (bearing a colt 1911, flashing it around and saying how texas was the only place where he could have his own personalised gun)

Mikefule
2006-03-05, 10:31 AM
"Hand gun made for killing, ain't no good for nuthin' else"

(Lynyrd Skynyrd in a moment of rather poor grammar but very clear perception of the obvious.)

(Saturday Night Special)

dorfman
2006-03-05, 12:36 PM
the first and formost problem with your plan is that alot of money loving evil men are in controll of gun production and would never stop making or selling them becouse if they did....thats there business right out the window

then a gain you dont have 2 be evil 2 make or sell guns but even then they woulnt want 2 stop it becouse there goes there living

sorry that the plan didnt work out

James_Potter
2006-03-05, 03:28 PM
I think the best way to solve the gun problem isn't to get rid of guns...it should be to educate people enough so that they do not turn out to be the kind of person who wants to kill others. one way to do that is to be nice to each other. Eric and Dylan of the Columbine massacre did it because the other students made fun of them....

dale_dale
2006-03-05, 03:47 PM
I think the best way to solve the gun problem isn't to get rid of guns...it should be to educate people enough so that they do not turn out to be the kind of person who wants to kill others. one way to do that is to be nice to each other. Eric and Dylan of the Columbine massacre did it because the other students made fun of them....

yeah but some people arejustborn sic and want to hurt or kill people

James_Potter
2006-03-05, 04:07 PM
yeah but some people arejustborn sic and want to hurt or kill people
I don't believe that...I don't believe in fate. people aren't born with death and destruction in their mind. its something that is learned.

chosen
2006-03-05, 05:10 PM
*demands a reason for this thread*

dale_dale
2006-03-05, 05:11 PM
*demands a reason for this thread*

he thought he had a solution... he doesnt

oh and i guess ur rigth i believe that every1 is born equal so i take back what i said as its hypocritical

musketman
2006-03-05, 07:33 PM
if you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns. and that would be about a bazillion times worse. guns are not bad in any way, only people are.

yes, if u take away our guns we wont have them and the terrorists always will have them making the problem 100 times worse than before!

P.S. guns dont kill... the bullets do

trials_uni
2006-03-05, 07:44 PM
i think that evans sig line says it best and i quote "guns cause crime like flies cause garbage" if you outlaw gusn we will just have more brutal crminal activity. personally if i were being robbed id rather be shot and have it over quick than be beaten or stabbed to death.

yoopers
2006-03-05, 08:08 PM
Technically it's a hypothesis. A theory has to be supported by research.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

yoopers
2006-03-05, 08:14 PM
the first and formost problem with your plan is that alot of money loving evil men are in controll of gun production and would never stop making or selling them becouse if they did....thats there business right out the window
I'd like to see the bibliography of your references behind your claims. You inserted the word "evil" in describing the men in control of gun production. I think you may have inserted some personal feelings in your claim that may have made the claim somewhat inaccurate.

James_Potter
2006-03-05, 08:14 PM
i think that evans sig line says it best and i quote "guns cause crime like flies cause garbage" if you outlaw gusn we will just have more brutal crminal activity. personally if i were being robbed id rather be shot and have it over quick than be beaten or stabbed to death.
a more optimistic view, in my opinion, would be that it should be legal for you to own a gun to defend yourself with, instead of be killed defenselessly.

harper
2006-03-05, 08:29 PM

A bullet that saves your life is worth more than $5000. Maybe you mean price bullets at $5000 each. You act (or, rather. react) as if bullets are difficult to make. They're not. Making firearms is not particularly difficult either.

musketman
2006-03-05, 08:54 PM
really you will always have ways to make bullets. If there is still gun powder, or any explosive powder and you are heading into the musket area you can use anything to make or use as a bullet.

Ive heard of people using iron-ore pellets for there muskets. This is not a good thing to do.. but it works.

harper
2006-03-05, 09:23 PM
so here is the solution to the worlds guns killing people problem...

I am constantly chased about my house by my guns trying to kill me. It's eerie. I exercise and clean them and yet still they become animated and try to murder me. This seems unfair to me.

Perhaps the world doesn't have a gun problem. Perhaps the world has a people problem. That would be odd. I never hear of people running around killing other people. It's always those danged sentient guns.

monkeyman
2006-03-05, 09:29 PM
P.S. guns dont kill... the bullets do
No, the people with access to both kill...
you can't outlaw guns because they can/are used to kill people...baseball bats are used for assaults all the time...should we outlaw those too?

Jerrick
2006-03-05, 09:38 PM
Lets outlaw pencils too! ive been stabbed those before! ouch!

And this has been said before, but its not the gun that is killing the ppl, and it isnt excactly the bullet either, even though that is the object that is being projected with a high velocity into someone body cause the injury or death, but it all comes down to the person and his mind set.

I am only 16 but i have my own guns, a nice sword collection of katanas and some novelty swords, paintball guns, and lots of other weapons that can be used to kill, but i dont use them for that, for me they are just a hobby, for others, they want to use those to inflict pain upon others, maybe they have what they call a "good" reason why they shot somone one, but it really comes down to the person.

Give me a gun and ill shoot at a paper target 100 feet away, give someone with a "reason" yto use it upon other ppl, he\she will.

Its not the gun that kills, its the person holding the gun and pulling the trigger.

monkeyman
2006-03-05, 09:43 PM
That's rpetty sweet dude...where do you get em all?

Jerrick
2006-03-05, 09:51 PM
That's rpetty sweet dude...where do you get em all?

if your talking about my sowrds and whatnot, mainly from online-some at antique or pawn shops, the only ones i buy are handmade and have to be folded over and hammered out a few times, i dont like the cheep manufactured ones, those will break really easily, but for practice i use my bokens lol, paintball guns i get on-line, me and my dad restore blackpowders, or we get kits and build them =p

musketman
2006-03-05, 11:13 PM
No, the people with access to both kill...
you can't outlaw guns because they can/are used to kill people...baseball bats are used for assaults all the time...should we outlaw those too?

yea that was kind of a joke.. im all for guns! i go hunting all the time and totally agree with u that the people that have access to the guns have the power to kill people with the guns.

so really the guns aren't the problem...people r da problem

lucky_8
2006-03-05, 11:54 PM
It is the person with the gun not the gun. i would be really mad if they got rid of guns because I would like to be a sniper for the marine's.

Seager
2006-03-05, 11:54 PM
The world doesn't really have a gun problem, the united states has a gun problem.

And not really that either, Canada has as many guns as the US but a fraction of the murders. Thus, the USA has a violence/anger problem, not a gun problem.

Tim Morin
2006-03-06, 12:12 AM
The violence in the world today has nothing to do with guns, or knives, or any other potential weapons. We are living in a time of turmoil, which is a reflection of where things are going. Violence is seen as an answer to some people's problems, and to those living in areas of extreme poverty (mostly at the hands of their oppressors), it's a very real answer.

I guess what I'm saying is that outlawing firearms will not help.

Something else that's interesting to look at, is that the media covers a lot more stories than it used to. For example, in Canada, many believe that youth crimes are up in the past 20 to 30 years, which in fact is not true. Youth crimes have actually dropped in the past couple decades. But what has increased is the media coverage of youth crimes. It has gone up by over 600% in the past 30 years. People need to be careful about how they interpret what they hear.

monkeyman
2006-03-06, 12:56 AM
It is the person with the gun not the gun. i would be really mad if they got rid of guns because I would like to be a sniper for the marine's.
I don't think they would jsut get rid of the Armed Fores if they outlawed guns....

maestro8
2006-03-06, 01:27 AM
It's always those danged sentient guns.
Some college undergrad built a sentient gun (albeit poorly):
http://www.usmechatronics.com/old_page/turret.htm

I'm working on a design of my own. I just finished the stepper motor driver circuits and the embedded motor controller software. It's going to be much better than the above-linked design... using a neural network to "learn" its surroundings, able to pan 360+ degrees and tilt 180 degrees, will be self-contained and self-powered.

By my estimates, all parts (minus the gun and batteries) will cost just under $200. It's not rocket science... one can find all they need to implement such a system at their local library. The same thing goes for conventional weaponry... the knowledge is out there and everyone has access to it.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

*crawls back into backyard bunker*

lucky_8
2006-03-06, 01:36 AM
I don't think they would jsut get rid of the Armed Fores if they outlawed guns....

i know but like right now if they were outlawed i couldn't own one and i couldn't shoot guns because i am not old enough to be in the marines

dorfman
2006-03-06, 01:48 AM
in the famous words of some guy i cant rember right now......"guns dont kill people minorities do"

jk of course

habbywall
2006-03-06, 02:05 AM
but seriously, if guns kill people then spoons made rosie odonnel fat and pencils make mistakes

lucky_8
2006-03-06, 02:28 AM
To end this.

it is the idiot (unless they have a really good reason) holding the gun that kills someone not the gun.

also how would a gun fire if noone pulls the trigger or it hit something and sets the trigger off.

The Bruiser
2006-03-06, 02:46 AM
someone on this forum had a great quote in their signature. I forget who's it was but it said "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage" and i completely agree with that statement

James_Potter
2006-03-06, 03:38 AM
someone on this forum had a great quote in their signature. I forget who's it was but it said "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage" and i completely agree with that statement
I belieeeve thats Evan. whoever it is, it was said by Harper originally.

toddw9
2006-03-06, 06:38 AM
Canada has as many guns as the US but a fraction of the murders.

and also 1/10 the population

johnhimsworth
2006-03-06, 01:02 PM
I am constantly chased about my house by my guns trying to kill me.You've made that joke before, and it still misses the point. We all know that the gun is always used be a person - the problem is that the presence of the gun gives that person a quick, clean, easy option that they would not otherwise have.
While we're repeating quotes, I quite like the Eddy Izzard one " 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Yeah, but I think guns help."

John

monkeyman
2006-03-06, 06:52 PM
You've made that joke before, and it still misses the point. We all know that the gun is always used be a person - the problem is that the presence of the gun gives that person a quick, clean, easy option that they would not otherwise have.
While we're repeating quotes, I quite like the Eddy Izzard one " 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Yeah, but I think guns help."

John
We should outlaw unicycles, because it you hit someone with it hard enough, you can kill them
We should also otulaw nuclear power....it can be dangerous

forrestunifreak
2006-03-06, 06:54 PM
There's a gun problem? Glad my guns don't have it.

yoopers
2006-03-06, 07:12 PM
We should also otulaw nuclear power....it can be dangerous
Not if you keep the nuclear-generated electricity separate from regular electricity. You know that nuclar' stuff causes cancer when it comes out from the recepticles in the house. So I contacted my local electrical company and asked them to only send regular electricity to my house. I feel much safer that way.

harper
2006-03-06, 07:41 PM
You've made that joke before, and it still misses the point. We all know that the gun is always used be a person - the problem is that the presence of the gun gives that person a quick, clean, easy option that they would not otherwise have.

John

Yeah, they do help. Mine have provided me with diagrams and instructions on how to kill or maim. They're a big help around the house when it comes to chores, too. I actually complain too much about them. I should be more balanced.

Fly04066814
2006-03-06, 08:55 PM
Get two victims and two Killers

Give one killer a Gun and the other a spoon.

each one picks there victim

Count how long each one takes to kill there victim.

johnhimsworth
2006-03-06, 09:23 PM
We should outlaw unicycles, because it you hit someone with it hard enough, you can kill them
We should also otulaw nuclear power....it can be dangerousBut I doubt anyone has ever been killed by a mis-used unicycle, and the basic principle involves having fun without killing things. Nuclear power (like it or not) provides electricity which allows me to use this computer, avoid walking into the walls of my house when it's dark, and is generally handy. About 3000 people die in car crashes every year in this country. However they are alos a very useful form of transport. As far as I know no-one has seriously suggested banning cars, but there are legal requirements like seatbelts, a yearly safety cheque, speed limits etc.

Yeah, they do help. Mine have provided me with diagrams and instructions on how to kill or maim. They're a big help around the house when it comes to chores, too. I actually complain too much about them. I should be more balanced.You're obviously a clever person, so I'll just assume that was posted as a cunning piece of irony, rather than further stretching a bad joke. In reply, I'll second Fly04066814s post.

John
(oh pants I've been dragged into a gun control thread. How did that happen?)

dale_dale
2006-03-06, 10:14 PM

thast sick... a spoon
good point though

yoopers
2006-03-06, 10:15 PM
thast sick... a spoon
good point though
I believe that's the problem...spoons don't have points.

James_Potter
2006-03-06, 10:16 PM

get two victims and two killers

give each victim a gun, and each killer a gun

Fly04066814
2006-03-06, 11:17 PM
War on a really small scale?

Seager
2006-03-06, 11:23 PM
and also 1/10 the population

doesn't really matter, they have a fraction of the murders per capita.

James_Potter
2006-03-06, 11:32 PM
War on a really small scale?
you could say that, but the point is, guns can be used as self defence as well as to attack. and there will always be guns to kill people, whether we like it or not, so it is best to keep guns completely legal. if a woman turns a gun on her attacker, he's not going to try anything else.

harper
2006-03-06, 11:46 PM
You're obviously a clever person, so I'll just assume that was posted as a cunning piece of irony, rather than further stretching a bad joke.

Wrong on two counts. I am not clever. That was further stretching a good joke.

I think I'll second JP's post where you give both the killers and the (potential) victims guns. I think this is the idea of the "equalizer" which is loosely thrown about. The other way to look at it is by changing the characteristics of the potential killers and victims. There's a 300 lb. linebacker gone haywire and he intends to rape and kill a 100 lb. woman armed with pepper spray (yum) in an enclosed parking lot. Who wins? Now give them both .45 caliber pistols and give the woman range training. A 300 lb. linebacker suddenly becomes a big target to a skilled shooter.

The bullet that saves her life is going to be worth more than $5000.

I remember wearing a T-Shirt to work with the name and logo of a gun shop that I frequented. One of the faculty said that there are some neighborhoods (especially in the Supreme Soviet of Washington) where I could walk around with that shirt on and people would be really offended. I asked him what I could possibly be worried about in a neighborhood like that; I would be the only one armed.

I'm dragging you down to my level and beating you with experience.

James_Potter
2006-03-06, 11:53 PM
I'm dragging you down to my level and beating you with experience.

:rolleyes:

musketman
2006-03-07, 12:08 AM
get two victims and two killers

give each victim a gun, and each killer a gun

ther ya go! That'll make it even...how it should be. And im not saying killers should have guns, but u dont know who is a killer untill they show u.

Everyone has the right to have guns untill they prove they cant handle a weapon and kill someone.

Borges
2006-03-07, 11:15 AM
I solved gun problems to.

Just ban guns which can go off when you drop them.
Make sure the sentient guns can only kill when being held by the owner.
(Gun owners are encouraged to get their exercise by being chased, instead, by human enemies, agressive pets, ghosts or wildlife)
Require knowledge about laws and safety
Require that you prove you can handle the guns you own at the shooting range before you get to take them home or carry them in public.

There's a 300 lb. linebacker gone haywire and he intends to rape and kill a 100 lb. woman armed with pepper spray (yum) in an enclosed parking lot. Who wins?
I know! First person to draw. I've seen it in movies. Is there a prize?

phil
2006-03-07, 11:38 AM
I have a plan to solve all the gun problems; I'm going to BLOW UP THE WORLD!!!

Without any of those pesky "people" around it'll be great.

Phil

johnhimsworth
2006-03-07, 01:19 PM
I think this is the idea of the "equalizer" which is loosely thrown about.Working well so far then is it?

The problem is that the situation you describe is in the minority. I have no reference for this, but I seem to remember a statistic that showed that the probability of a gun being used on another member of the owners household is considerably larger than that of it being used on an intruder.

A single analogy isn't much use in a discussion like this. There will always be crime, and it's easy to suggest a situation and a possible solution. Sadly your solution seems to cause more problems than it solves.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe gun control isn't the solution. Any better ideas?

John

yoopers
2006-03-07, 01:36 PM
Without any of those pesky "people" around it'll be great.
That's how I view some of our soccer games. If it wasn't for that other team, we'd be having a pretty good game.

yoopers
2006-03-07, 01:38 PM
Hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe gun control isn't the solution.
A sane and noteworthy quote. Thanks.

johnhimsworth
2006-03-07, 03:28 PM
You're welcome, but the bit you removed is the most important part of that statement. If someone suggests a better way of reducing gun crime then I'll listen. But short of "wouldn't it be nice if we could all just get along"* there don't seem to be that many suggestions.

John

*I agree, incidentally. Sadly, that may well be even harder to achieve than a consensus in a gun control thread.

harper
2006-03-07, 04:09 PM
Working well so far then is it?

I was hoping you were referring to the signature line reference.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe gun control isn't the solution. Any better ideas?

Enforced firearms ownership and training.

Enforced is, of course, a bad choice. Why force people to do what they don't want to do? This would be the same as restrictive gun control. Choice would be good. It is interesting to study the firearms laws of Switzerland and Israel and then compare the violence in those two countries. I won't quote statistics because there is too much you can do with them when addressing an audience that knows little or nothing about them. Few people look at an isolated number and ask themselves, "what does that mean?" Fewer actually know how to find out and are willing to do so. This is not an insult, it is a fact. One of my favorite theories about public schools is that they should not teach algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as requirements. They should instead teach probability and statistics so the population could see how the press trashes the truth so frequently. Few people use higher math skills in daily life. Almost everyone reads, listens to, or watches the news.

Borges
2006-03-09, 11:22 AM
One of my favorite theories about public schools is that they should not teach algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as requirements. They should instead teach probability and statistics so the population could see how the press trashes the truth so frequently. Few people use higher math skills in daily life. Almost everyone reads, listens to, or watches the news.

"Google add":

Statistical Tricks and Traps (http://www.pyrczak.com/titles/statistics/stt.htm)
10$, 58 pages. No prior knowledge of statistics needed.

harper
2006-03-09, 04:09 PM
"Google add":

Statistical Tricks and Traps (http://www.pyrczak.com/titles/statistics/stt.htm)
10$, 58 pages. No prior knowledge of statistics needed.

The first publication I saw was "How to Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff, Irving Geis (Illustrator), 1954. I saw it when I was about ten or eleven years old (1962) in our grade school library.

lleberg
2006-03-09, 10:51 PM
To compare a handgun and a baseballbat (or a spoon) because you could kill with both is strange..
A gun is made to kill (or wound) or to threaten to do this.. As long it isnt for sports or hunting..
A baseball bat is _made_ to hit a homerun with.. it is not made to kill or threaten anyone.
And a spoon is made for eating in most cases, or to hit a golfball with..

If guns were banned (to all but to those who have a reason such as sports or hunting), not all guns would be off the market, but quite a few would! If someone wants to get a gun, they could still most certainly do so, but they can't rob the neighbour when they're out of town, and they couldn't go to a store to buy one. They commit a crime when they obtain this weapond, and that would stop some people to solve "problems" with guns, some would use a baseball bat, some would not!

Or if we look at illegas drugs.. if all were legal, lots of people would die using them, or kill others, either while using them, or to get them..
Now, if we banned all drugs, would all dissaper? Nope. There would be a black market for it.
But this would stop MANY people from using it, there wouldnt be as much drugs in public, affecting peoples lives.
And this would be one step closer to getting rid of drugs as a natural part of peoples lives..

Of all gun murders in the US, all wouldnt be stopped by banning guns.
But quite a few would! And that is something worth working for IMHO.

maestro8
2006-03-09, 11:10 PM
Or if we look at illegas drugs.. if all were legal, lots of people would die using them, or kill others, either while using them, or to get them..
Now, if we banned all drugs, would all dissaper? Nope. There would be a black market for it. But this would stop MANY people from using it, there wouldnt be as much drugs in public, affecting peoples lives.And this would be one step closer to getting rid of drugs as a natural part of peoples lives..
This is a very naieve "look" at illegal drugs....

If drugs were legal it wouldn't be as hard to get them, so people wouldn't have to kill to get them. Not as many people would die from doing the drugs because their manufacturing / packaging / sale would be well regulated... a lot of people die from using "street drugs" that have been poorly made, thus containing many impurities which could well be poisonous.

As to the point that many more people would use drugs if they were legal, I believe Amsterdam is a good case in point why that statement is untrue. You don't walk down the street there and see everyone and their mother and little sister using drugs. The city functions quite fine, people go to work and do their jobs, go home at night and spend time with their families, quite a normal place (for the most part :) ).

As for drugs being a natural part of people's lives, this is what the pharmaceutical companies are working towards... the number of legal drugs vastly outnumbers those that are illegal... there's no competition there.

lleberg
2006-03-09, 11:23 PM
This is a very naieve "look" at illegal drugs....

If drugs were legal it wouldn't be as hard to get them, so people wouldn't have to kill to get them. Not as many people would die from doing the drugs because their manufacturing / packaging / sale would be well regulated... a lot of people die from using "street drugs" that have been poorly made, thus containing many impurities which could well be poisonous.

As to the point that many more people would use drugs if they were legal, I believe Amsterdam is a good case in point why that statement is untrue. You don't walk down the street there and see everyone and their mother and little sister using drugs. The city functions quite fine, people go to work and do their jobs, go home at night and spend time with their families, quite a normal place (for the most part :) ).

As for drugs being a natural part of people's lives, this is what the pharmaceutical companies are working towards... the number of legal drugs vastly outnumbers those that are illegal... there's no competition there.

Only because they are legal doesn't make them cheap!
Either trough taxes, or warcet prices.
And only because they are legal they won't get less addictive.
I don't think poeple would work more and harder to get drugs.. I'm not saying all poeple that have used drugs are addicted, but some of them are, if you double the mass of people using drugs, you would probably end up with double the amount of addicted people as well..

And i wasn't talking about coffee shops where it's legal to smoke cannabis, but when you could buy joints in the same place you buy cigarettes, and drug dealers starting a shop with neon signs instead of selling at the street corner (or at home, or at someone elses place, trough mailorder and so on).

And this is a bit offtopic, isn't it?
It was only an example..

TheoELind
2006-03-10, 06:42 AM
A bullet that saves your life is worth more than $5000. Maybe you mean price bullets at $5000 each. You act (or, rather. react) as if bullets are difficult to make. They're not. Making firearms is not particularly difficult either.

I was just quoting Cris Rock...

monkeyman
2006-03-10, 02:17 PM
I was just quoting Cris Rock...
Always good material in a serious discussion