2005-05-20, 12:27 AM
Wow.

Brian MacKenzie
2005-05-20, 12:29 AM
i'm off to se it in an hour!

jagur
2005-05-20, 09:21 AM
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:15 am Post subject:

im probobly going to get shelled here but i was disapointed in almost everything except the emporor scenes and anikin's lonlyness scenes.

Whokee's doing the tarzan yell and R2-D2 having more tools than a swiss army knife were over the edge lame.

the Qui-Gon connection at the end was totaly bogus.

General Grievois was a let down.

and did i hear Darth Vader scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! like every other candy ass anti-hero? im sorry but Darth Vader does not scream NOOOOOOOOOOO! .ever!

dare i say there was to much "light Saber" ever heard of the law of deminishing returns George?

jagur
2005-05-20, 09:43 AM
i found a review that mirriors my thoughts.

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2005/05/john_reviews_star_wars_revenge_of_the_sith_7_out_of_10.html

zod
2005-05-20, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jagur

Whokee's doing the tarzan yell................over the edge lame.

I have not seen it yet and probably won't for a few weeks (b/c being elbow to elbow with Star-Wars geeks creeps me out) but the tarzan yell while I am sure it will annoy me was probably thrown in as a playback to Return of the Jedi when Chewie does it during the Ewok/Storm Trooper battle.

jagur
2005-05-20, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by zod
probably thrown in as a playback to Return of the Jedi when Chewie does it during the Ewok/Storm Trooper battle. yep, and its even cheezier this time.

yoopers
2005-05-20, 04:19 PM
Jay Leno had a good line last night.

If you didn't see Revenge of the Fourth and Revenge of the Fifth, you may not be able to follow what's going on in Revenge of the Sith.

DigitalDave
2005-05-20, 10:32 PM

im probobly going to get shelled here but i was disapointed in almost everything except the emporor scenes and anikin's lonlyness scenes.

Whokee's doing the tarzan yell and R2-D2 having more tools than a swiss army knife were over the edge lame.

General Grievois was a let down.

and did i hear Darth Vader scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! like every other candy ass anti-hero? im sorry but Darth Vader does not scream NOOOOOOOOOOO! .ever!

dare i say there was to much "light Saber" ever heard of the law of deminishing returns George?

Spoiler :(

pissinlemonaid
2005-05-20, 10:47 PM
I thought it was good, but i was definatly pissed about vader..and the "NO" thing. and hoe he stood with his arms back, at that time, i just cracked up laughing. the best thing about the movie was how the clones uturned on the jedi to kill them. BUT...they are jedi the only jedi that sensed anything was yoda...if your considered a master you should sense the clones about to kill you. OH MAN..that kid scene was brutal. but finally...bitch padme got what was commin to her.

unicycleboy
2005-05-20, 10:54 PM
It was deffinatly quite cheesy at points and even some bits i ended up laughing even though i shouldnt have :)

Overall it was a good movie, Id actually forgot about princess lea, how come shes a princes anyway? And how could the jedi not detect emporer palpatine?

Darth Vader doing the nooo part was maybe slightly over the top but only to the point of him standing wierdly and shouting no.

Trev

pissinlemonaid
2005-05-20, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by unicycleboy
It was deffinatly quite cheesy at points and even some bits i ended up laughing even though i shouldnt have :)

Overall it was a good movie, Id actually forgot about princess lea, how come shes a princes anyway? And how could the jedi not detect emporer palpatine?

Darth Vader doing the nooo part was maybe slightly over the top but only to the point of him standing wierdly and shouting no.

Trev

They sensed palpatine as being slightly evil. ever since anakin brought him back the whole counsel was on to him. you can tell he was sidious from the very beinging. well..i mean..its obvious if you seen all of them, if not..then...i dont mean to ruin things. hah. but me and my brother had a long in depth convo about the movie after we went to see it, and all those questions. i laughed quite a bit myself. and it seemed that all the love scenes were just put in there to kill time. the love scenes never made sence to me..also because lucas cant write love scenes...its horrible. haha. i also think overall the movie was the best of the 3. indeed.

unicycleboy
2005-05-20, 11:05 PM
I want to know what video editing program they used :) the start scene is great with all those ships. I have a old star wars game called star wars rebellion its so funny to play.

Trev

James_Potter
2005-05-20, 11:25 PM
I'm going to see it soon, AGAINST MY WILL

UniBrier
2005-05-20, 11:36 PM
Would you recommend seeing II before III?

I haven't seen II yet.:(

unicycleboy
2005-05-20, 11:44 PM
Well leigh hadnt seen second one and didnt really understand what happens in star wars and think she enjoyed it, Its probably a good idea to watch it to know exactly whats going on.

Trev

dogbowl
2005-05-21, 04:17 AM
Didn't anyone notice the ultra cool MONOCYCLE that General Grievous was driving as he tried to get away from Obi-Wan?

Obviously, it was not pedal-driven like a true monocycle, but, still, it was a one-wheeled vehicle.

My inner unicycle radar picked up on it--the fact that General Grievous actually rode it made me a bit sympathetic towards him.

As for the film itself, I quite liked it. It had some flaws, but I did get a bit of a chill when Vader began breathing. Nice.

The Vader "NOOOOOOO" didn't bother me at all because of one specific reason: I won't spoil the ending, and all I'll say is that to those of you who saw the film, you know the reason why he shouts "NNOOOOO"--I thought his response was appropriate, even for Darth Vader, and in fact, one could argue that Aniken's transformation into Darth Vader only becomes complete once he hears the sentence that makes him shout NOOOOO. After that NOOOOO, you just know he will never shout NNOOOOOO again because when he is finished shouting it, the transformation is then complete and he is the Darth Vader we all know and love, the kind of guy who will never shout NNOOOOO.

See?
EDIT:
OUCH!! I just realized that a bunch of you DID see the cool monocycle. There is a whole thread dedicated to it right here in the JC forum. DUMMY-Me......

jagur
2005-05-21, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by dogbowl
I just realized that a bunch of you DID see the cool monocycle. There is a whole thread dedicated to it right here in the JC forum. DUMMY-Me...... yes but its worthy of a cross post, that machine was totaly awesome!

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40501

James_Potter
2005-05-21, 02:32 PM
I saw it last night, and it was.... okay. I think the reason I like the old ones much better is because they didn't have nearly as much computer animation, all the aliens and whatever where actual people in costume or they were robots or something, not cartoons.

johnhimsworth
2005-05-21, 07:10 PM
What I personally thought was great was that the whole thing was really slick and stylish, with state of the art special effects and that polished look of modern big budget films - but then right at the end, to blend into the original 3, all the people on the not quite star destroyer were all wearing fetching 70's style sci-fi evil henchman uniforms. Fantastic.

And R2-D2 is fantastic in all of the films, even if he is a high-tech swiss army knife. That's half the fun. And his acting and dialogue was better than most of the cast.

John

unicycleboy
2005-05-21, 08:16 PM
I watched the first one on Tv tonight and i liked the old version on yoda he actually looks real unlike the one in the 3rd.

Trev

amanda.gallacher
2005-05-21, 08:32 PM
i never really got into all the star wars stuff. my mum likes it but i don't really, i don't reckon i will go and see it. i went to the pictures the other day to see kingdon of heaven, and it is the biggest load of crap i have ever seen!;)

johnfoss
2005-05-23, 02:10 AM
Whokee's doing the tarzan yell and R2-D2 having more tools than a swiss army knife were over the edge lame. Yeah. If R2-D2 could do all that stuff in this movie, why was he so relatively helpless in episodes 4-6? Okay, so maybe he's all old and beat up, and some of those parts don't work? I'm not buying that.

Wookies with Tarzan yell. Yes, it was funny once, and unimaginitive twice. But remember, Tarzan may have copied it from them. It was a long, long time ago, remember?
General Grievois was a let down. For a long time I was trying to figure out why a droid needs to cough. But for a guy who coughs too much, he can fight okay. BTW, his so-called monocycle appeared to be kind of a double-monocycle. Effectively it seemed to have two tires, or two lines of contact with the ground. I'll put my money on the multi-colored, funky-sounding lizard/Jedi combo anytime.
dare i say there was to much "light Saber" Yes there was an awful lot of that, but it's the Jedi's weapon of choice.

But the movie leaves me with questions:

1. Why do Yoda and Obi-Wan go and hide like a couple of chickens, instead of trying to clear the name of the Jedi?

2. Do all the Jedi *really* live on one planet? Wouldn't there be training places on multiple planets?

3. How come a Jedi can fly sometimes, and other times has to cling to the edge of a cliff?

4. Why, in the Star Wars universe, does a big light saber battle always have to be fought next to big drops? (notice sometimes they don't start near one, but if this is the case, they either move or push a button that provides big-drop access.

5. (One I've been asking since Episode I) What makes Tattooine a good hiding place for Luke, if his father not only grew up there, but acutally *met* the people who will raise him in Episode II?

One answer for a question asked above:
Leia gets to be a princess because she picked good parents. Aparently her father (Jimmy Smits) rises to a position of the nature where his daughter gets to be called a princess. I'm not sure of this, but I think she is raised on Alderaan, the first planet to be destroyed by the Death Star in Epsiode IV.

Anyway, I went into the movie with low expectations, which is always nice if you can do it. I was very impressed and thought it was as good as any of the others, though you can never top the many "firsts" of Episode IV. Like a Sean Connery James Bond movie, you can make better ones, but they'll never top the "original" Bond.

From George Lucas I expect a relatively lame script (see Episode II, or any of the others). This one was much less lame. It told a complex story pretty effectively.

DK
2005-05-23, 02:13 AM
I think Revenge of the Syph was...... well, painfull

jagur
2005-05-23, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DK
I think Revenge of the Syph was...... well, painfull it wasnt that bad but it definatly had issues.

Why, in the Star Wars universe, does a big light saber battle always have to be fought next to big drops? (notice sometimes they don't start near one, but if this is the case, they either move or push a button that provides big-drop access. good point, the only time i can think of where that wasnt a play in the battle was in IV with Obi-One and Vader.

Obi and Ani in EPII against Dooku also comes to mind.

DK
2005-05-23, 11:11 AM
I think you missed the joke

Brian MacKenzie
2005-05-23, 11:44 AM
I think tattooine is a good place to hide him. anakin didn't know about him, and that planet is already strong with memories. (he might sense 'a skywalker' presence but just place it with his dead mother's memories, as opposed to a whole new planet with 'a skywalker' presence on it all of a sudden.

Yoda and Obie Wan knew that Vader was all powerful and needed to regroup, I think

I'm going to see it again on Thursday, AT MY OWN WILL, the way they are written and all the mini plots going on, it always takes me 2-3 times to really 'get' the movie.

The transformation to Darth Vader is the coolest thing ever.

Padme losing the will to live ??? :(

MrBoogiejuice
2005-05-23, 01:43 PM
I went to see it last night with low expectations. It was better Than I thought it would be. Definitely the best of the new ones. I thought when Anakin got de-limbed and fried was the most gruesome moment in any of the SW films.

Did anyone else notice the George Bush dig?

There was definitely too much CG. However the guy who plays Anakin has improved his acting skills ever so slightly since the last one. There were a couple of cringe-worthy moments lke when Padme says something like
"Hold me Anakin, like you did on *planet name*". A slap round the chops was deserved for that line.

But on the whole, it was OK. Did what it was supposed to do and even if the script and acting was a bit iffy it was still interesting to see the vehicles and see how the TIE fighters and walkers etc evolved into the ones in episode 4-6

unicus
2005-05-23, 03:26 PM
I went to see it and for me it did what it was made to do, entertain for a couple of hours. I'm no Star Wars fanatic so I don't care much about the small details as long as it makes some sort of sense (if a fictional story like this can) and, as I said, entertain me. I did like R2-D2's character in this one.
Originally posted by johnfoss
Yeah. If R2-D2 could do all that stuff in this movie, why was he so relatively helpless in episodes 4-6? Okay, so maybe he's all old and beat up, and some of those parts don't work? I'm not buying that.
At the end of the film they said something along the lines of that they (R2-D2 & C3PO) were to be re-diploid with lower type jobs implying they were to be downgraded; well that's how I interpreted it.

johnfoss
2005-05-24, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Brian MacKenzie
I think tattooine is a good place to hide him. anakin didn't know about him, and that planet is already strong with memories.That sounds good. I concur.
Yoda and Obie Wan knew that Vader was all powerful and needed to regroup, I thinkUntil when? Apparently until baby Luke grew up enough to get involved... :rolleyes:
Padme losing the will to live ??? :( Yes, not very motherly of her. But for that I can allow credit to Darth Sidius as the cause. He must have implanted the bad dreams in Anakin's head, as well as the loss of will to live in Padme (he killed her, to make Vader "complete").

It's fairly rare that a story like this comes along where it has to tie into another story from 28 years earlier. Considering Lucas' relatively weak track record with dialogue, I thought he tied it up very nicely, especially with the downhill spiral of Anakin.

jagur
2005-05-24, 06:23 AM
That sounds good. I concur. totooine is also run by the Huts which throughout the series seem to be mostly free from the empire. kinda like trying to find a jedi baby in Las Vegas.

dogbowl
2005-05-24, 02:07 PM
Two things I kept waiting for:

During the final light saber fight, everytime Obi-Wan called him "Anakin," I kept hoping, expecting the young Sith to say "Don't call me that! My name is Vader--Darth Vader!"

Vader to return back to the fancy love nest he kept with Padme, and instead of having her already gone, she would be there, waiting for him--only to TOTALLY FREAK OUT when the Dark Knight in his plastic mask appears, saying "Honey, I'm home..."

I have a feeling she would not have hung around for long.

jagur
2005-05-24, 03:52 PM
i was waiting for Anikin to sport a new RED light saber, like pictured in the promo movie poster at the theater???? false advertising!

pissinlemonaid
2005-05-24, 09:03 PM

Qui gon connection was nessassary...it lets us understand how obi can use the force to talk to luke in the older movies. its put there for a good reason. that part of the movie was good to be there, but i think the way they put it in was stupid. its like..the end of the movie and its like "Oh by the way, come with me, we can get you in contact with qui-gon" leaving everyone to be like, SWEET!!! QUI GON!! he will talk to him! and then its ike the credits. that was the worst.

metro_tramp
2005-05-25, 07:40 PM
No No NO !!!

i think he whole film reeked of tv-movie badness.. it felt like a dodgy episode of stargate SG-1 or some other such trash that you see on sky 1.

yes, there were good parts.. um.. i think.. yeah:

The whole way sidious plays anakin like the little pawn he is (tho you'd think annakin might be just a little bit cleverer than that..)

Anakin's burning near-death was soo dark it made me tingle in naughty places.

Ditto for the 'younglings' murder scene.

The 'birth of Darth Vader' is perhaps one of the best scenes in any of the films. (tho it gets wrecked about 30 seconds later)

Obviously some of it (monowheel, space battles etc) looked so cool it was unreal, and yoda crawling onto a wookie's shoulder had a strange loveliness for me.

BUT

there's the rest of it:

i dont think any of it could count as 'proper' dialogue - it was all incredibly contrived and you could smell the scenes where Lucas was trying to either 'fill in the gaps' for the fans or 'make an important social comment'. The 'Liberty dies; to the sound of thunderous applause' line just HURT. I can see George sitting writng it close to climax and thinking 'This is the oscar winner'.

It's horrible to watch the (for my money) only two good actors in the film (Portman and Mcgregor) be dragged down by the awful scripting and the high-school-play melodrama of the other actors.

What was the need for all the cut-scenes at the end? Yeah, it's Luke from the other films; yeah, it's Darth Vader; yeah, that's the death star.. WE GET IT ALREADY!!!

CG babies! you're just being lazy now George...

Total over-use of lightsabres. yeah, they're the jedi weapon of choice (though the sword-fighting 'skills' look pretty appauling when compared to pretty much any film from the past decade, eastern or western.. sorry, but the 'spinny spinny "you go here and ill hit your sword there"' style just dont hack it anymore.

The Qi-Gon jin thing.. i thought this was more a lame attempt to make the light side equal to the dark side and also kick anakin in the nuts.. 'qi gon jin has found out a way to immortality' ('D'oh!' - anakin/Darth)

SOOO MUCH CG!! i just starts to look bad. part of the coolness of the original films was that everything was all worn and dirty, but when you use cg, everythng ends up looking like Toy Story or something. And the lightsabres just looked like day-glo AnnoySticks.

What should have been a very moving storyline to do with young love, desperation in the face of death, and loss of will to live even with baby twins ends up being a hammed-up CG-fest with such bad acting that the end-result is actually offensive.

I've never been that big a fan of star wars, but i can see that the last three are soo much better.. as Mark Kermode (brit film critic) said, Lucas made a name for himself with the first three, which were pretty basic-but-cool hollywood fare. The films became cult classics, so with the last(first?) three, he shold have taken the time to make intelligent, interesting films that could be enjoyed on many levels by fans and non-fans alike. Instead, he's slapped his fans in the face and bored the rest of us.

It's my personal contention that George Lucas hates being know for star wars, star wars, star wars. He hates that noone will ever ask him about his other films and that mad fans bug him about lightsaber colours. So he decides to take revenge by making three episodes that are soo bad that nobody will ever take star wars or him seriously again and he'll be left in peace.
Either that or his neck is actually controlling 'George'.. i mean, that neck just isn't normal...

I'll refrain from making any more moans about the film (and there are a Lot) cos.. well.. i'm startng to sound like a prick.. but Damn, i really cant understand how anybody can enjoy it!

weeble
2005-05-26, 08:46 AM
(Spoilers to follow, duh)

The Qui-Gon element at the end has the air of an afterthought about it, and is most likely there as an additional hook to hang more storyline on, for books, TV series etc. Actually much of this film seems like a setup for future product; one character and one exotic locale after another appear seemingly just for the purpose of being introduced to us for later reference. "Thank you, Chewbacca. Thank you, Other Wookiee. Now ten seconds you have, your relationship to establish. Chatter to each other in an amusing fashion you will for a moment after I leave, ok? See you both again I will, in a series of graphic novels." The Internet Movie Database's plot outline for an "Untitled Star Wars TV Series" so far says only, "Plot unknown: Will most likely focus on new characters and be set between Episode III and Episode IV." We'll probably see Obi-Wan consulting with his spectral mentor in his continuing adventures among the Jawas and Tuskens and minions of Jabba. Just please... no more Holiday Specials.

Or maybe it was just an attempt to explain why Obi-Wan never heard from Qui-Gon at all after the latter's death, when Obi-Wan got in touch with Luke immediately after buying it in the original movie. We Jedi just now figured out how to do that, see? There's a lot of hasty hole-patching going on here as the two ends of the series are drawn together. She's dying because, because, um, oh, she's lost her will to live, yeah. Quick, hand baby Leia off to these minor characters here, who happen to be looking to adopt! Have the protocol droid's memory wiped!

I believe General Grievous' smoker's cough was an act, as was the hunched posture; it all went away when he threw off his cloak and went into yet-another-saber-duel mode. I gathered that he was not actually a droid but rather an organic creature whose body had been either augmented or almost entirely replaced by mechanical parts. I would call his vehicle a monocycle; it looked like it had two rims, so technically maybe it would be a dicycle, but they were so close together that the structure functioned as a single wheel.

Once again Lucas does the apparently impossible by jacking up the technical standards of special effects yet another notch. Eyes pop and jaws drop as intended. Major visual overload in the space battle scenes, though. Too much going on in each frame. By the time your eye decides which of the hundreds of hurtling shapes or blossoming flames it wants to rest on, it's too late; the shot changes and it's hard to get more than a vague impression of any specific thing. Slow down, dammit; let us get a look at your work here.

I did spot the Millennium Falcon-type ship, seen for a second or two at one point. I didn't notice whether there were any E.T. guys in the senate chamber this time, or not.

Lucas is a visionary of sorts but has real problems as both a director and a storyteller. He does romance the way Red Green does home improvement. Large logic and continuity gaps remain unfilled. He has it in his head that he's creating some sort of profound mythology for the modern age, and his characters aren't strong enough to support that kind of weight. The characters in the original film were pretty much cardboard too, but they inhabited a breezy space opera where they fit right in, and the result was more fun than I can bear to think about now. The team here is so weighted down by profundity, so overwhelmed by dazzling visuals, and so ill-served by awkward dialog that their thinly-written personalities can't stand up. There are the odd exceptions; Yoda remains the most engaging performer, as he has always been, even in his rubber-puppet incarnation in "Episode V." And Sam Jackson can kick your ass just by looking at you, one of the advanced Jedi skills that he mastered long ago.

Artoo Detoo CAN NOT FLY, Lucas, you big dumb stupid blockhead. This was made abundantly clear in the original three films, and the fourth gave no indication to the contrary. Now in the last two you have Artoo getting himself out of this jam and that by zipping around with rockets on his legs. I slap the face of you, George Lucas.

JarJar is briefly glimpsed but has no lines or any actual role in this one, and for that, meesa grateful.

The whole look and feel of this movie clashes with the "next" one, the original 1977 film. This worries me; Lucas has shown questionable judgement with a lot of his Special Edition enhancements, and I fear that in the next video release he will attempt to bridge the stylistic gap with a clutter of added CGI which will render the original film unrecognizable. I haven't bought the DVD, and won't unless the original version is included. This isn't just reactionary purism; "A New Hope" is a historic document of what the state of the art in film effects was at the time, a film that altered the course of the film industry (many would say for the worse), and I'd like to have that. And I have memories.

lleberg
2005-05-26, 04:42 PM
I really don't like that the jedis is all human again, they can smell danger from lightyears away several years in advance.. but noooo! Now the masters are killed one by another by simple troops.. If we look at episode four, where our beloved obi wan can get the stoormtropers to say and think whatever he wishes, and now they don't see what's coming, and they are fought down like children. I mean, come on!

And about the lord greveius or whatever his name was.. it feels sooo... Zelda? Where Ivy, the fairy tells him "Hit the heart! It's the only weak spot on this monster, use your hookshot you got in this temple".. And now they don't even seal the heart inside something? Now it's just some plates (that obiwan could break with his bare hands). If you compare this construction to darth vader, it's ridiculus.

And how come anakin is so.. dumb?

Feels like the onlything happending in episope three it tying episode two and for together..

Me and some friends are about to watch the whole starwars trilogy (ehum) this weekend, really nasty ;)

unicycleboy
2005-05-26, 07:19 PM
exuse me metro tramp. There is nothing wrong with star gate sg1 or there wasnt anything wrong with it, I used to watch it like 5 years ago so was a while ago!

Trev

Seager
2005-05-26, 08:18 PM
blah blah blah "something negative 'cause being negative and pessimistic is fun" blah blah blah "I don't know how to enjoy a movie" blah blah blah "I decided I was going to hate it years ago anyway" blah blah blah

:)

yoopers
2005-05-26, 08:38 PM
I haven't seen the latest movie yet, gonna wait for it to come out in home theater. But I've been perusing the posts in this thread and may have identified a brewing situation.

It may come as a surprise to some, but this is just a movie made in Hollywood. It isn't real life. Really. Honest. It's not the six o'clock news, it's entertainment.

I wish it were though, it sure would be fun to live that far in the future.

metro_tramp
2005-05-26, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by unicycleboy
exuse me metro tramp. There is nothing wrong with star gate sg1...

yeah. sorry. i've never watched it. i was just tryin to make a point of thatt sky1 style series that (in my mind) has really bad acting and story, but lots of cool looking cg to make up for it.

perhaps 'dinotopia' might make for a better example..

and all you 'stop being mean/its only a film/cheer up' types can shhhhh... if people discuss a film (or any piece of art) we're gonna do it in a critical way. And if i pay 5 to see a film that demeans, annoys and bores me, i see it as my democratic right... no... DUTY to bitch and whine to all who'll listen/read...

but yeah, yoopers is right. it's a big, fat hollywood film so we shouldnt expect it to be otherwise..
and anyway, i think my excessive Revenge of the Sith bashing may have something to do with my collarbone breakage, so i'll shhh lest Darth Lucas is onto me..

metro_tramp
2005-05-26, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by yoopers

OH NOO!!!! The star wars fans'll eat you alive for that error!!!

Now everybody, repeat after me: 'A LONG TIME AGO...'

jediunicyclist
2005-05-27, 01:25 AM
lol, his comment about "living that far in the future" got to me. Thanks for clearing that up, metro_tramp.

That aside, one of the BIG things i was waiting for was for Anakin to say something to the effect of, "Give my lightsaber to my son!" as he was burning up or something.

But that's about my only issue.....(and i wish they kept han solo in it)

forrestunifreak
2005-05-27, 02:07 AM
Wow........I didnt know you could rant so much about one movie........makes me wanna see it even more.

James_Potter
2005-05-27, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by pissinlemonaid
Qui gon connection was nessassary...it lets us understand how obi can use the force to talk to luke in the older movies. its put there for a good reason. that part of the movie was good to be there, but i think the way they put it in was stupid. its like..the end of the movie and its like "Oh by the way, come with me, we can get you in contact with qui-gon" leaving everyone to be like, SWEET!!! QUI GON!! he will talk to him! and then its ike the credits. that was the worst.

I think I missed the Qui-Gon connection when I saw it.... what happened?

jagur
2005-05-27, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by weeble
(Spoilers to follow, duh)

JarJar is briefly glimpsed but has no lines or any actual role in this one, and for that, meesa grateful.

i love your post but Jar-Jar did have one line..he said "ex squeeze Me" at the very beginning after the crash landing sequence on the cat walk passing Bail Organa.

jagur
2005-05-27, 06:05 AM
"A New Hope" is a historic document of what the state of the art in film effects was at the time, a film that altered the course of the film industry (many would say for the worse), and I'd like to have that i have them on VCD copied from the Laser disc release. thats the only way to get them for a DVD player....

GREEDO SHOOTS FIRST!......forever and always.

the only change i like in the newer DVD releases is the replacement of Ian McDemit as the Emporor in Empire instead of the old lady in make up.

jediunicyclist
2005-05-27, 06:46 PM
What the hell? In ROTJ Leia says that she knew her mother a little bit and Luke replies that he didn't know her at all. But Padme fricken died right away! They both knew her the same fricken amount!!! WHAT THE HECK-HELL!!!???!?!?!?

jagur
2005-05-27, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by jediunicyclist
In ROTJ Leia says that she knew her mother a little bit and Luke replies that he didn't know her at all. yep another plot hole. Leah said "i remember her always sad"

best hole is the fact that Anikin never said "hey Obi-wan, give this light saber to my son" thats big mess up there.

Fuego
2005-05-27, 10:49 PM
I like how the empire only lasted like 20 years or so.

In the first films I always got the impression that
1. the clone wars were about 100 years ago, and
2. the jedi purge took a really really long time.

Also, how did obi get so grey in 18 years or whatever? He was about 30 during the clone wars, so he's supposed to be in his 40s in a new hope. How come he looks 65?

weeble
2005-05-28, 03:27 AM
i love your post but Jar-Jar did have one line..he said "ex squeeze Me" at the very beginning after the crash landing sequence on the cat walk passing Bail Organa.

What... Why did you have to tell me that! You... I... I....

NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!

jagur
2005-05-28, 11:05 PM
i just went for a second helping of the Sith

the Wookee part is best place to take a leak.

tomblackwood
2005-05-30, 06:41 AM
i just went for a second helping of the Sith. the Wookee part is best place to take a leak.
Thanks to Jagur for the first truly constructive contribution to this thread. I only wish I had read it before going to see the movie tonight.

There were definitely some cool elements, but overall I thought it kinda sucked.

Some of the best stuff was the simplest...like Yoda when he walked in to visit Sidious, dropping the two guards with a twitch of his wrist.

UniBrier
2005-05-30, 03:03 PM
Johnny and I saw it last night too.

With all the de-limbing by light saber I'm surprised there wasn't more blood. Must be quite the cauterization tool. I wonder if Jedi surgeons use light scalpels.

When III came out the local news made an observation that there are two Star Wars camps: Those over 40 that will always think IV-VI are the best and those under 30 think I-III aer better. All are great entertainment, now if they could do a special box set without JarJar... (I bet Episode I would have been different of Lucas had done them in order.)

harper
2005-05-30, 10:14 PM
I haven't seen the latest movie yet, gonna wait for it to come out in home theater. But I've been perusing the posts in this thread and may have identified a brewing situation.

It may come as a surprise to some, but this is just a movie made in Hollywood. It isn't real life. Really. Honest. It's not the six o'clock news, it's entertainment.

This is real life. Awards for special effects in which there is sound in free space as well as aerodynamics? No plot, no script, no acting, intentional temporal reordering to maintain or create future interest. And people dropping ten bucks a pop for it. This will entirely occupy the lives of many for months to come until it comes out on some video format and you watch it, wishing you had moved the furniture while it was on because it sucked so badly you could have vacuumed your entire house with it.

By the time I see it, when it's not even on cable TV anymore, many of these people will be adults with real responsibilities like taking out the trash (old "Star Wars" videos and DVD's) or feeding the dog. Some may be able to dress themselves by then. A few might be able to read. You and I will be collecting our social security "coupons" with an exchange rate measured by weight rather than denomination. Or perhaps we will be soylent green.

"Star Wars," "The Lord of the Rings," video games, all of that pap is so much a part of real-fake life it's scary. But don't worry, these people will believe more and more of what they see. It may get worse. You may live that far into the future.

Pirate the DVD when you get a copy and send it to me. Then I won't have to wait until it comes to channel seven.

Magic 8 Ball
2005-05-31, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Fuego
Also, how did obi get so grey in 18 years or whatever? How come he looks 65?
Better not tell you now.

JamesH
2005-05-31, 10:51 PM
[BGREEDO SHOOTS FIRST!......forever and always.[/B]

No way man, Han shot first (http://www.thinkgeek.com/pvp/swag/712c/zoom/) ...

johnfoss
2005-06-01, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by jediunicyclist
In ROTJ Leia says that she knew her mother a little bit and Luke replies that he didn't know her at all. But Padme fricken died right away! They both knew her the same fricken amount!!! WHAT THE HECK-HELL!!!???!?!?!? Ever heard of adoptive parents? I think we got a glimpse of Leia's adoptive mom at the end of the movie. Now we know she's going to die before Leia is 10.

Luke is raised by his Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen. No mom.

Sure it's just a movie. What's unicycling? It's nice to have idle time.

Of course Star Wars is much more than a movie to the army of people who have/had a financial stake in it. Not only was it a huge money-maker of its own, it spawned a whole new life for science fiction in TV and movies. Battlestar Galactica, for example, was a total Star Wars rip-off. Did it add to our culture? I think a little. No less than the Flash Gordon and similar serials to which it pays homage.

johnfoss
2005-06-01, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by weeble
"Thank you, Chewbacca. Thank you, Other Wookiee. Now ten seconds you have, your relationship to establish.I like new characters and locales. It's a lot more interesting than going back to Tattooine every other movie. In a galaxy that's supposed to be as diverse as the Star Wars one is, we should see lots of new people and locations.
Or maybe it was just an attempt to explain why Obi-Wan never heard from Qui-Gon at all after the latter's death, when Obi-Wan got in touch with Luke immediately after buying it in the original movie.That works for me; filling a plot hole none of us seems to have noticed. With plenty of potential for more story material for episodes 3.1, 3.2, etc.
She's dying because, because, um, oh, she's lost her will to live, yeah. Quick, hand baby Leia off to these minor characters here, who happen to be looking to adopt! Have the protocol droid's memory wiped!Yes, it was like being at the top of a Glad bag as the twist tie is being put on. Is this Lucas' way of saying he's done with the series? Otherwise we could be allowed to believe Padme dies for a less-lame reason, or that R2-D2 and C3P0 have lots more adventures to experience in the next 17 years or so.
I believe General Grievous' smoker's cough was an act, as was the hunched posture;To me I think it was more like turning up the juice for fighting, as in The Matrix Revolutions, when Naiobe pulls a lever and the messed-up ship rises up and not only flies perfectly, but takes out a huge armored door without killing everyone onboard.

He is a good-running mechanical body with a creaky old "thing" making the decisions for it. Kind of the opposite of The Terminator. The general is in ill health, but apparently he can still use his mind to make his body fight, even if his breathing is bad. We got a glimpse or two of his organic insides, and at one point Obi-wan seemed to be trying to pry him open.
Once again Lucas does the apparently impossible by jacking up the technical standards of special effects yet another notch. Eyes pop and jaws drop as intended. Major visual overload in the space battle scenes, though. Too much going on in each frame.Why all the complaints about the CGI? It reminds me of people complaining about synthesizers for music in the 70s. Then the 80s came along and everybody was using them. The great thing about filling a scene with visual overload is that you can always see something more the next time you watch the movie--hopefully in the theater again. I know I saw the original Star Wars at least 3 times.

And I like CGI. When it's done right, it gives you a freedom you don't have when working with models. I love models too, but I understand their limitations.

Lucas is a visionary of sorts but has real problems as both a director and a storyteller. He does romance the way Red Green does home improvement. Large logic and continuity gaps remain unfilled.I think we are expecting too much in some of this. Remember his inspiration was the old Saturday morning serials. Watch some of that stuff and get an idea of where the Star Wars storyline comes from. I think the secret in so much of that old Flash Gordon-type stuff was *ignoring* continuity and just having a good time. Scripts were lame, acting was lame, and the special effects were lame too. At least Lucas' spaceships fly like airplanes; Flash Gordons' flew like Christmas ornaments!

{I liked where the little "sabotage droid" got zapped and then appeard to get blown off the back of Obi-wan's (Anakin's?) ship. I guess if your ship is going to fly like it's in air, the same effect should apply to anything stuck to it!}

Artoo Detoo CAN NOT FLY, Lucas, you big dumb stupid blockhead.:D
The whole look and feel of this movie clashes with the "next" one, the original 1977 film.It had to If Epsiods I and II had been done in "retro" 70s, or even 80s style, there wouldn't have even been an epsiode III. I think these films' strongest element is the groundbreaking special effects. I expected a lot there, and was not disappointed. I was not expecting even as much story sense as I got, so I wasn't disappointed there either. It ain't high art.
I haven't bought the DVD, and won't unless the original version is included. I think there would even be a market for the originals, though more of a specialty one. They would not be money-makers like the current versions.

The one that really bothered me was the re-release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It had that whole stupid additional scene at the end where Roy Neary steps inside the big mothership and looks at more cool special effects, with his mouth hanging open. Great, but what did that add? Plus they took out one of my favorite scenes, where he goes manic and starts tearing up his yard to build Devil's Tower in the living room.

But when I bought a (deeply discounted) DVD of the film, I was delighted to see it was some sort of in-between version. It seemed to contain all the original footage, plus the new footage from the re-release, *minus* the gratuitious look inside the mothership. I like it!

Originally posted by llegerg
... but noooo! Now the masters are killed one by another by simple troops.. I also thought they were surprised way too easy. I attribute part of this to the insidious nature of sidious. To get to where he was, he had to be *really* good at covering himself up. So we knew there was something fishy about the whole clone army, but it was like we almost forgot about it when they finally turned. *Except,* wasn't it Obi-wan who originally investigated the clone army? What the hell was he thinking? These guys seem to be okay, but their origin is suspect. So what do you do?

So yeah, even if they expect an army of Jango-Fetts to be entirely trustworthy, I would still expect a member of the Jedi Council to not be taken so easily.

Speaking of Jedi, do they really only live on the one planet? Is there really no Jedi academy anywhere else? That was way, way too easy. Then the remaining two Jedis just "hide" for the next 17 years or so? Come on.

And now they don't even seal the heart inside something? Now it's just some plates (that obiwan could break with his bare hands). If you compare this construction to darth vader, it's ridiculus.Darth Vader? He just has a (full face) helmet, a bunch of artificial body parts, and a little control box on his chest. Otherwise I think he's wearing clothes. I would assume Grevious was armor plated, to some degree, and that Obi-wan was doing his best to bust him open. I didn't have a problem there; I just thought the coughing was weird.
And how come anakin is so.. dumb? Because, young jedi, George Lucas *is* his father! :)

Yup, he sure was dumb. Maybe not dumb, but blinded. As before, I credit Sidious with messing with his head. Much of what happened in Episode III was orchestrated by Sidious in order to "groom" Anakin to be his next apprentice.

jagur
2005-06-02, 03:38 AM
Plus they took out one of my favorite scenes, where he goes manic and starts tearing up his yard to build Devil's Tower in the living room. are you serious, how could they remove that part? why? thats a major climactic moment in the movie.....!?

johnfoss
2005-06-02, 06:58 PM
are you serious, how could they remove that part? why? thats a major climactic moment in the movie.....!? That scene was silly, and downplays the anguish the Neary character is going through as he struggles to understand what's wrong with him. He's lost his job and has three kids, yet he can't get this image out of his head. So he's going a little crazy.

The re-do of the movie replaced that "funny" scene with the shower scene from the night before. This is where his wife wakes up at like 4:00 to hear sobbing coming from the bathroom. She finds him in the shower, fully clothed, and crying uncontrollably. Then the older son (the two younger kids were actually Richard Dryfus' kids) sees them and starts screaming and yelling because he's upset too. So that's a much more emotionally powerful scene, highlighting the effect the alien encounter has had on Roy Neary.

In my DVD version, both scenes are there, which I think is great.

Ben Plotkin-Swing
2005-06-03, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnfoss

{I liked where the little "sabotage droid" got zapped and then appeard to get blown off the back of Obi-wan's (Anakin's?) ship. I guess if your ship is going to fly like it's in air, the same effect should apply to anything stuck to it!}
[QUOTE]

I thought that part was hilarious. Although after I thought about it, it occured to me that if the ship was accelerating it would make sense for the droid to slide off backwards once it lost it's grip.

The space battles were fantastic in general. I liked how the big ships basically acted like battleships on an ocean, firing broadsides at each other with what amounted to cannons. And how the ship Anakin and Obie wan were on started to "sink" when it got damaged. Totally unrealistic but a lot of fun nonetheless. I think space battles using real physics would probably be a lot less fun to watch.

johnfoss
2005-06-03, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Ben Plotkin-Swing
it occured to me that if the ship was accelerating it would make sense for the droid to slide off backwards once it lost it's grip.I thought about that too. But if that was the case, should it not have been accompanied by the "sound" of the ship revving up? {and yes I'm aware of the irony of sound in the vacuum of space as well, but remember, we're still banking our turns.}
Totally unrealistic but a lot of fun nonetheless. I think space battles using real physics would probably be a lot less fun to watch. I agree. The space battle scene was a masterpiece of CGI, and I look forward to watching it again! A "real" space battle, using even technology we have today for air, would happen from thousands of miles away, with smart weapons, and the combatants wouldn't even be able to see each other with the naked eye. It's amazing how science fiction on TV and in the movies insists on putting ships so close to each other they're in constant danger of fender-benders! Think Starship Troopers for a great example of that. Oh, we're being shot at from thousands (maybe only hundreds) of miles away! Maybe we shouldn't be packed in like sardines. Uh oh, too late! More great special effects!

Disclaimer: the Starship Troopers movie had almost nothing at all in common with the (much better) book of the same name. It used the same names for some of the characters, the aliens were called "bugs," and that was about it. Director Paul Verhoven (Robocop and Total Recall) is quote the gore-meister!

zod
2005-06-03, 02:25 AM
Saw it, ranked it #2 right behind Empire Strikes Back

yoopers
2005-06-05, 11:14 AM
George Lucas is at it again. The next sequel in the Star Wars line will feature the newest villain duo that is sure to set the screen on fire. Not since Batman and Robin has such a pair made their opponents quake in their jet-propelled boots. There will be no turning back for the heros this time when they come face to face with the next generation Darth and his ferocious sidekick...
Darth Tater and Darth Tater Tot

Brian MacKenzie
2005-06-05, 11:27 AM

Darth Tater and Darth Tater Tot

you'll have to find a new name!

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/hasbro/img/20050113_1_bg.jpg

yoopers
2005-06-05, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Brian MacKenzie
you'll have to find a new name!
Hrmmph. I can take him. I'll poke him in the eye.

jagur
2005-06-06, 08:13 AM
taken down by Madagascar and the lamest yard

http://movieweb.com/movies/box_office/monthly/

unicycle6869
2005-06-06, 01:25 PM
I saw it over the weekend and for the most part I enjoyed it. Now I can't wait till all 6 are on DVD so I can watch them all in order so I can make sense of everything. I understand most of the story line but it's been awhile since I've wathed the original three. How long do you think it'll be before this comes to DVD? A year? Any guesses?

The one problem I had with the movie was in the final fight scene when vader is fighing obi one in the lava scene, where the hell did those ropes come from that they used to swing onto dry land? They just magically appeared from nowhere or is there a logical explanation for it?

My girlfriend did not know throughout the entire movie that Anikan grows to be Darth Vader. She also didn't know that this and the other newer episodes happened before the 3 orginals. So she was thinking, now there's a new Darth Vader or two of them! So I filled her in after the movie. Wouldn't it be a different movie if you knew nothing about any of the others? Think about that for a second. How many people have seen the new ones but not the old ones?

Denali
2005-06-07, 02:58 AM
Think about that for a second. How many people have seen the new ones but not the old ones?
Ummm......Guilty...Revenge of the Sith was my first Star Wars movie....But I did make the connection about Anakin becoming Vader...But I was not completely insulated from whole series coz you have everyone discussing it with you...but yeah, when he became vader, I went "aaah" and the whole thing clicked...

[Edit] Before that scene I was wondering when the hell Vader was going to make an appearance.After the first hour I guessed that maybe he was killed off in some previous episode...ooops

GILD
2005-06-20, 09:56 AM
i wanted to do this when 'Jedi' came out
i wanted to do this when the third 'back to the future' came out
i wanted to do this with The Matrix
i finally did it
went to the video store yesterday
rented Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones
and watched them back-to-back
then went to the movie house to see Revenge of the Sith
i'm getting much better at voluntarily suspending my critical judgement facility and just having fun

'twas great