PDA

View Full Version : Farting, the sociology of and jokes about

JJuggle
2005-04-07, 01:54 PM
Back in the day if you farted in class you were the object of ridicule and teasing, possibly throughout your entire secondary school tenure. You were given a nickname like Stinky or Smelly or Fartboy that stuck and you wore it or faced the even worse fate of complete and total shunning and ostracism. Popular culture bears this out as in the Chorus Line character who laments the one little fart that squeaked out.

Things are different now. The boy who sits next to my daughter in class is a notorious public farter, a definite class clown and in no way an unpopular kid. The Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, an abomination my wife and I tolerate for the sake of household harmony, has gone from merely having an award for the best on screen farting to having hosts and/or presenters, as reported by my daughter, actually fart live on the show.

I don't pretend to know whether all this is a good thing, a bad thing, or just one of those things. I have always enjoyed a good fart now and again, but it is something, like certain jokes, that is kept among friends and family. And I suppose that very fact of this thread is indicative of the problem, if there is, in fact, a problem at all.

So with that in mind, and to encourage further discourse I offer this recent runner up for a Bulwer-Lytton Award:

"Throckmorton, a scientist to the core, knew that if he broke wind in the echo chamber, he'd never hear the end of it."

Right, I should give thanks to Checkernuts for the inspiration to start this thread although I suspect it is much more than he would have bargained for, though perhaps no less than he'd expect from me. ;)

chosen
2005-04-07, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JJuggle
I have always enjoyed a good fart now and again[/size]

no comment.

GILD
2005-04-07, 02:15 PM
So with that in mind, and to encourage further discourse I offer this recent runner up for a Bulwer-Lytton Award:

"Throckmorton, a scientist to the core, knew that if he broke wind in the echo chamber, he'd never hear the end of it."
runner up?!?
who/what won?

JJuggle
2005-04-07, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by chosen
no comment. LOL! I anticipated that and well, frankly, it took all the effort and has all the originality of "where's your other wheel." :)

JJuggle
2005-04-07, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GILD
runner up?!?
who/what won? Google my friend, google.

Jethro
2005-04-07, 02:42 PM
You know what is going to happen with this, don't you?

Invariably, someone is going to start a thread for people to post wav. files of their own farts.

And here I am with no microphone.

harper
2005-04-07, 03:45 PM
Along the lines of "where's your other wheel," wouldn't an old fart be the one most likely to start a thread like this? I am of course a pot calling a kettle black, here.

JJuggle
2005-04-07, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by harper
old fart"old fart" is such an odd expression I've always thought since farts don't really get a chance to age and each one is always fresh and new.

But that aside, yeah.

Catboy
2005-04-07, 04:24 PM

FART!!!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MattPH
2005-04-07, 05:39 PM
Farting is fun and farting is funny and holding them in should be against the law, even at the dinner table. It's funny though that farting in front of your mates is really funny but in front of strangers slightly embarrasing, it gets me wondering though that at which point in the evolution of man did farting become funny, and not just one of those things that they did and not really notice, an interesting subject which we could discuss for days and we havn't even got on to the subject of lighting them yet.

unicus
2005-04-07, 06:43 PM
Not one to want to put a dampener on a thread about farting jokes after all toilet humour can be quite a relief. But did you know that every time you (or anyone else) farts small particles of faecal matter are expelled at the same time. This has the consequence that anyone in the vicinity of the fart will breathe in and ingest faeces.

Jethro
2005-04-07, 06:47 PM
^you take all the fun out of farting.

*farts in Unicus' general direction*

gauss
2005-04-07, 06:48 PM
the funniest thing about farts is that they are always funny. I think it comes down to: no matter how pretentious the world becomes you are still powerless to keep from experiencing the nastiest stuff I can produce.

Making a fart is like saying "hey, remember how funny a fart is?"

Making a loud one is like saying "Yeah it was me, and there is nothing you can do."

mango
2005-04-07, 06:57 PM
"old fart" is such an odd expression I've always thought since farts don't really get a chance to age and each one is always fresh and new.

But that aside, yeah.

Farts can stay in a closed Tupperware container for a good period of time! I ate a bad burrito at a sketchy mexican place and i was farting something fierce. I wanted to share the love with my friends that were coming over later...so you guessed it.

It was only a few hours, though. Anyone wanna test further?

mango
2005-04-07, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by gauss
the funniest thing about farts is that they are always funny. I think it comes down to: no matter how pretentious the world becomes you are still powerless to keep from experiencing the nastiest stuff I can produce.

Making a fart is like saying "hey, remember how funny a fart is?"

Making a loud one is like saying "Yeah it was me, and there is nothing you can do."

oh man that is funny!!!! :D

Jethro
2005-04-07, 07:07 PM
I feel a fart joke coming on:

There once was an old couple who had been married for thirty years.

Every morning the old boy would wake up and give off an enormous fart, much to his long suffering wife's annoyance.

"You'll fart your guts out one of these days," she always complained.

After a particularly bad week the wife decided to have her revenge and got up early, placing some turkey giblets in the bed next to the old boy's arse.

While making breakfast downstairs she heard his usual morning fart reverberate through the floorboards followed by a scream.

Twenty minutes later a rather shaken man came downstairs.

"You was right all along Missus," the old man says, "I finally did fart my guts out, but by the grace of God, and these two fingers, I managed to push 'em back in!"

DigitalDave
2005-04-07, 07:19 PM
Fart Trek (http://www.wavhounds.com/fart-trek.html)

I'm trying to find an old 'fart maker' in flash... still looking ...

Fart of the day (http://www.wavhounds.com//featured/fotd/index.html)

DigitalDave
2005-04-07, 07:31 PM
create a fart (http://www.createfarts.com/) :D

andrew_carter
2005-04-07, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by mango
It was only a few hours, though. Anyone wanna test further? It's been a dream of mine since childhood...but I keep forgetting to do it. :)

Andrew

DigitalDave
2005-04-07, 08:31 PM
Fart Chart (http://home.kqnet.pt/timoteo/page23.html)

Trap a fart (http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2004/01/trap_a_fart.html)

Fart facts (http://www.heptune.com/farts.html)
(everything you ever wanted to know, even capturing farts for later)

Google is fun :D

unicus
2005-04-07, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Jethro
^you take all the fun out of farting.

*farts in Unicus' general direction*
I'm Prepared :D

unicus
2005-04-07, 09:37 PM
I like this one.

GILD
2005-04-08, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by MattPH
it gets me wondering though that at which point in the evolution of man did farting become funny i'm always wondering about the evolution of relationships ref farting
when can u fart in the company of your significant other?
and what happens to the very fiber of the relationship when the 'fart-line' is crossed?

john_childs
2005-04-08, 08:13 AM
I prefer the terms "flatus" "flatulent" and "flatulence" instead of the crude term "fart". It sounds better to let loose with flatus instead of a fart.

Klaas Bil
2005-04-08, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by mango
Farts can stay in a closed Tupperware container for a good period of time! I ate a bad burrito at a sketchy mexican place and i was farting something fierce. I wanted to share the love with my friends that were coming over later...so you guessed it.

It was only a few hours, though. Anyone wanna test further?
When I was a kid I have made attempts at capturing farts in a glass jar. Don't remember how long they lasted. On the order of hours, I seem to remember.

Also, me and my brother shared a room, and to encourage sleepiness my parents laid one of us in their bed for the first few hours of the night when they were still awake themselves. We had this little ploy where we farted under our parent's pillows. They didn't seem to notice, or at least they never mentioned it.

Farts... there's a lot to say about them!

Klaas Bil

tomblackwood
2005-04-08, 08:45 AM
Capturing farts...how appropriately anal retentive.

Why capture what you can torch? That's why God invented the Bic lighter for God's sake.

Borges
2005-04-08, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Jethro
You know what is going to happen with this, don't you?

Invariably, someone is going to start a thread for people to post wav. files of their own farts.

And here I am with no microphone.

Good idea. There'll be a suitable prize for the first one to record saxophone part of "Mustang Sally".

GILD
2005-04-08, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by john_childs
It sounds better to let loose with flatus instead of a fart. john, i think the word u're looking for is pretentious (http://www.english-test.net/toeic/vocabulary/words/194/toeic-definitions.php#pretentious)

:p
Originally posted by Borges
Good idea. There'll be a suitable prize for the first one to record the saxophone part of "Mustang Sally". the mind verily boggles

GILD
2005-04-08, 09:06 AM
quite coincidentally, i receive this pic in an email today

Memphis Mud
2005-04-08, 12:14 PM
"Where's Your Other Wheel?"

FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPTH!

:eek:

JJuggle
2005-04-08, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Memphis Mud
Where's your other wheel[b]
[B]FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPTH!
:eek: Mikefule used this response on one occasion (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24255&highlight=farted).

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-08, 12:22 PM
i'm always wondering about the evolution of relationships ref farting
when can u fart in the company of your significant other?
and what happens to the very fiber of the relationship when the 'fart-line' is crossed?

When can u fart in the company of your significant other? When you're the MAN.

GILD
2005-04-08, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BillyTheMountain
When can u fart in the company of your significant other? When you're the MAN. oh billy!
u know i don't go in for all that role-playing stuff
:rolleyes:

gauss
2005-04-08, 02:07 PM
When can u fart in the company of your significant other? When you're the MAN.

I've thought about this before. I think there is a very narrow window in a relationship where farting must commence. Obviously if you rock up on you cheek and squint on a first date, you are toast. If you are together with a girl for 10 years and then crank one, she is going to pound you. No you must seize the moment that she is into you, but doesn't feel she has influence over you yet. Oh she will be disgusted, but she's invested to much at this point to walk, and is still to polite to have a blow out fight over it. Now the dutch oven, that's another plate of cabbage...

unicus
2005-04-08, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by gauss
I've thought about this before. I think there is a very narrow window in a relationship where farting must commence. Obviously if you rock up on you cheek and squint on a first date, you are toast. If you are together with a girl for 10 years and then crank one, she is going to pound you. No you must seize the moment that she is into you, but doesn't feel she has influence over you yet. Oh she will be disgusted, but she's invested to much at this point to walk, and is still to polite to have a blow out fight over it. Now the dutch oven, that's another plate of cabbage...
That reminds me of a story a good female friend told me.

She had been out with this guy she fancied on a date and they ended up sleeping together. In the morning when they were both starting to wake up, you know the time when youíre half awake, she had completely forgotten that she was not alone in bed. So not unusually she cocked her hip and let out a large, and as it turned out smelly fart only to hear a polite cough behind her from the guy who was lying facing her back.

Needless to say she never saw him again as she was just too embarrassed to look him in the eye. She isnít really shy about her above average flatulence around her friends but when she told me this I couldnít stop laughing.

pdc
2005-04-08, 03:12 PM
I hate the word FART

UniBrier
2005-04-08, 03:26 PM
Don't drink water. Fish fart in it.

DigitalDave
2005-04-08, 05:26 PM
One of my old 'significant others' used to fart everynite after sliding into the sheets. (SBD's - Silent But Deadly) I learned quickly to let her 'do her thing' before I went to bed. But, if I ever let one that she could hear, I'd get an earfull.

MattPH
2005-04-08, 08:23 PM
Fart Joke.

Why don't women fart as much as men.

Because they don't keep their mouths shut long enough to build up the back pressure.

forrestunifreak
2005-04-08, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by pdc
I hate the word FART

Up untill i was like 8,we always called it "toot".Never "fart".I didnt even know the word fart.Then we moved to were we live now,and evauntally it became "fart".Now we call it fart and never toot.Toot sounds so weird.

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-08, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by forrestunifreak
Up untill i was like 8,we always called it "toot".Never "fart".I didnt even know the word fart.Then we moved to were we live now,and evauntally it became "fart".Now we call it fart and never toot.Toot sounds so weird.

Hey Forrest:

I'm sure you find these words quite offensive, as I do. We mustn't discuss this in polite company. If we must refer to our bodily indisgressions, we say "pass gas" or "I'm being bothered by a bit of flatulence, my dear, please excuse."

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret, related to the 3 states of matter and Toilet training. In Toilet training we learn to control the 3 states of matter exiting us below the waist: First the solid, then the liquid, then the gas.

Those who fart indiscriminately have not yet completed their toilet training. Often it's because the family fails in the training. Families rarely laugh and have fun when a child has a toileting accident with the solids or liquids. Bit believe it or not, there is the odd family out there that actually laughs :eek: when a child has a toilet training accident of the gas variety. :eek: They inadvertently encourage this conduct, :eek: and there you have it.

Please tell Rafael.

Billy

forrestunifreak
2005-04-08, 11:58 PM
Um,no.Actaully my whole familly farts...Were like the oppisite of what you described.....:o

Good point about the toilt traning though......

steveyo
2005-04-09, 01:31 AM
If someone tells me they're in a relationship which is "getting serious", I ask them if they fart in front of their partner. I also ask them if they pick their nose in front of their partner.

If either answer is no, I hold little hope for their relationship's success, or at least the depth and honesty of it.

That ice needs to be broken.

Catboy
2005-04-09, 01:36 AM
Women don't FART they FLUFF. And when hey do magical green faeries come out and float around, spreading "love" to everyone around them.

Obiously magic is much stronger than meat and veggies.(If you've ever smelled girl farts, you know why).

U-Turn
2005-04-09, 12:06 PM
The kid and I just read the story of The Historic Fart, from the 1001 Nights. Although it is several hundred years old, we got a great laugh out of it.

JJuggle
2005-04-09, 01:14 PM
Please tell Rafael.Raphael offers this (http://www.fartfarm.com/back.wav).

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-09, 01:47 PM
Raphael offers this (http://www.fartfarm.com/back.wav).

Need I say more:D

Billy

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-09, 01:56 PM
Sociology
The science of society, social institutions, and social relationships.

I recently discovered through PM that Rafael is doing his thesis on the sociology of farting. He is putting forth the proposition that for males, the quantity of open farting occurring in a social relationship is directly related to the emotional intimacy experienced in that relationship.

He proposes that males use farting in both heterosexual relationships as well as in "buddyships." If your girlfriend or buddies feel a bit put off by your farting, guys, help them understand that this is a way you express your love for them.

Billy

17 wheeler
2005-04-09, 05:08 PM
I hear ya, buddy. Sometimes the cab of this ol' truck can get mighty ripe. That truck stop food ain't the best for the old digestive system if you know what I mean. Somedays I don't even need to use the air horn. I just lift up a cheek and let out a blast that can be heard from miles around.

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-09, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 17 wheeler
I hear ya, buddy. Sometimes the cab of this ol' truck can get mighty ripe. That truck stop food ain't the best for the old digestive system if you know what I mean. Somedays I don't even need to use the air horn. I just lift up a cheek and let out a blast that can be heard from miles around.

Exactly. And if alone, it'a a way of expressing self-love.

And some cultures allow the expression of intimacy more openly than others. That's what I love about the trucking culture!!!

Rafael

munipsycho
2005-04-12, 11:58 PM
Anybody know who Harold Garfinkel was? He was a sociologist from Berkely who invented a thing he called "ethnomethodology." Most people know what it is, even though they don't know what it's called or who started it.

Garfinkel sent his students out to perform social experiments that deviated from norms, like facing people in a crowded elevator, taking food from a stranger's plate, asking what people meant by simple things ("How are you?" "What do you mean, 'How am I'? How's my health? Finances? what?"), pretending they didn't know their parents (call them sir and maam, ask how to get to the bathroom), and a bunch of other pretty interesting stuff.

He believed that the "little things" (i.e., mutual agreement and trust in social interaction between two people) in society were as important as, or even more important than the "big things" (i.e., organizations and institutions). Since relationships break down when you violate that trust, he must have had a point.

But I don't remember any farting experiments. Although I do know of some pretty revealing research about the practice of woman showing their ... in the French Quarter.

yoopers
2005-04-14, 03:22 AM
Here is probably the only place I get to describe my wild idea for my senior design project in engineering school, the project that never came to be. I was heading into the environmental arena once out of college so I came up with an idea to study the effects of animal flatulation on our environment.

My study would be limited to bovine since they were readily available here in the midwest and they were slow enough for me to work with. The project would include designing a device to attach to the southern end of a cow for data collection. The grand name for my device? It would be called a Flatulated Air Recovery Terminal or F.A.R.T.

GILD
2005-04-14, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by yoopers
Here is probably the only place I get to describe my wild idea for my senior design project in engineering school, the project that never came to be.

It would be called a Flatulated Air Recovery Terminal or F.A.R.T. what stopped u?
didn't u have the guts to go ahead?

Klaas Bil
2005-04-14, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by yoopers
I came up with an idea to study the effects of animal flatulation on our environment.

My study would be limited to bovine...
This is actually a widely studied subject, even if yoopers did not contribute. Per day, each cow farts on average a staggering 400 litres of methane into the atmosphere. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas (20 times stronger than CO2) and therefore the bovine methane emission is a serious environmental concern.

I don't know if F.A.R.T.'s were used in these investigations.

Klaas Bil

yoopers
2005-04-14, 01:05 PM
what stopped u?
didn't u have the guts to go ahead?
No, as a whole, the project stunk.

yoopers
2005-04-14, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Klaas Bil
This is actually a widely studied subject, even if yoopers did not contribute. Per day, each cow farts on average a staggering 400 litres of methane into the atmosphere. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas (20 times stronger than CO2) and therefore the bovine methane emission is a serious environmental concern.

I don't know if F.A.R.T.'s were used in these investigations.

Klaas Bil
I've been told that cockroaches are the worst emitters though.

B

GILD
2005-04-14, 01:18 PM
bruce, just incase u actually wanted those two to be in one post (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=159046&highlight=multiple+quotes#post159046) ...

i'm beginning to quote myself, again
this is sad
i think i need to take a break for a while
James_Potter!, u can come back now, i need a time-out

yoopers
2005-04-14, 01:24 PM
bruce, just incase u actually wanted those two to be in one post

Dave,

Thanks for the reminder. I guess I was just trying to do too many things at once here at the office. I do use the method from time to time and even agree that it should be done. Takes up less space and resources except maybe for the time resource. But out of love for my family here at the great Unicyclist.com, I'll try harder in the future to behave.

Bruce

GILD
2005-04-14, 01:33 PM
as i posted that, i kept thinking to myself that i'm sure i'm carrying coal to newcastle here but since i really don't feel like doing the work i'm supposed to be doing, anything is a handy distraction
as for the space-saving issues, very true, we do need to save some space for Tyler (just kidding Tyler) and i've heard that there are rumours about an impending return to posting by the innimitable LoganA
so we'll need all the space we can save

i've also just heard that i'll be interviewed by a local kids TV program on saturday morning
but as a juggler
i think i'll just arrive at the studio complex on my uni so they can pencil that in for later in the season

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-15, 05:07 PM
as i posted that, i kept thinking to myself that i'm sure i'm carrying coal to newcastle here but since i really don't feel like doing the work i'm supposed to be doing, anything is a handy distraction
as for the space-saving issues, very true, we do need to save some space for Tyler (just kidding Tyler) and i've heard that there are rumours about an impending return to posting by the innimitable LoganA
so we'll need all the space we can save

i've also just heard that i'll be interviewed by a local kids TV program on saturday morning
but as a juggler
i think i'll just arrive at the studio complex on my uni so they can pencil that in for later in the season

My farts come out sounding like this:
i'm carrying coal to newcastle here

Dave: Insist on juggling ON YOUR UNICYCLE!!!

And let's END ANY FURTHER DISCUSSION OF SOCIOLOGY here, OK? Raphael's thesis is almost done.

Billy

PS About 35 years ago, I was watching PBS and saw a human baby being born. Do you think that's appropriate for TV? Do you think they would show that today?? Do you think it's appropriate for this listserv?

JJuggle
2005-04-15, 05:22 PM
PS About 35 years ago, I was watching PBS and saw a human baby being born. Do you think that's appropriate for TV? Do you think they would show that today?? Do you think it's appropriate for this listserv? I remember seeing that, I vaguely remember that it was somewhat controversial, and quite amazing. Not as amazing as in person though. Now watching Emma being born, that was a sight. :)

BillyTheMountain
2005-04-15, 05:32 PM
I remember seeing that, I vaguely remember that it was somewhat controversial, and quite amazing. Not as amazing as in person though. Now watching Emma being born, that was a sight. :)

Kewl. Should we start a debate about episiotomies and "the husband stitch?"

I'm going to start a new post about sex with a partner, unless someone stops me. Stay tuned.

Billy

DigitalDave
2005-04-15, 06:42 PM
Lighting a Fart ... (http://www.alzmedia.com/video/fartlight.html)

(from Jethro's post)

UniBrier
2005-04-16, 04:25 PM
Walter the Farting Dog (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%2526field-keywords%3Dwalter%2520and%2520the%2520farting%2520dog%2526results-process%3Ddefault%2526dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Fov%5Ftops-1%5Fstripbooks%5F7236430%5F1/102-7505627-6422538) is quite popular too!

Product Description:
When Betty and Billy rescued Walter from the pound, they never imagined that such a cute dog was capable of such unpleasant and frequent smells -- Walter passes gas constantly! But just when the dog seems destined to be returned to the pound, a remarkable event turns him into a hero, and his new family learns to live with his smells.

UniBrier
2005-04-18, 03:59 AM
As much as I don't like to bump a thread with a double post...

My wife came home with an e-mail copy of this (http://www.4dave.com/files/funny/how-to-poop-at-work/) tonight.

I'd not seen this one and had to share. Thought it more appropriate in this thread than clean jokes.

tobbogonist
2006-11-06, 12:43 PM
One of the men on playschool farted once, i saw a clip of it. They just had to keep going, both wear just about in tears trying to hold back laughter.
Apparently when i was little i used catch them in tuppuware containers in the bath, hold the container underwater and catch the bubbles, though i am not sure why.

I must say farts in school are no longer funny, unless it is by someone who you dont expect it from and they look really surprised when it happens. the funniest thing in the world is someones face when they fart and it makes a loud noise, you can tell they had been trying to inch it out slowly for the last 5 minutes and they think their nearly there when (fart noise) and everybody turns. Its like they have never farted before.
on the subject has anyone ever lit a fart? I have managed to catch a few with a naked flame which at the time, about 4 years ago, moved me, quite considerably, up the high school social ladder.

JJuggle
2006-11-06, 12:53 PM
Bring out your dead...

Well last evening's final Masterpiece Theater installment of To the Ends of the Earth (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/totheends/index.html) had a lively drunken men and farting scene made all the more humorous by its almost deadpan homage to Blazing Saddles.

treepotato
2006-11-06, 03:53 PM
i wander how many people farted whilst posting on this thread...

treepotato
2006-11-06, 03:59 PM
just did! so thought i'd better get back on this thread quick while the fart is still working its magic...

john_childs
2006-11-06, 04:43 PM
The Mythbusters on farting:

Un-Air-able Banned Mythbuster Fart Segment part 1 Keri Byron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisgLhWghRQ)

Un-Air-able Banned Mythbuster Fart Segment part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqFRBHPIE-w)

GILD
2006-11-06, 04:51 PM
John, you truly never cease to amaze me.

Salut!

john_childs
2006-11-06, 04:52 PM
Oh my
A fart blog (http://farts.typepad.com/)

john_childs
2006-11-06, 04:53 PM
John, you truly never cease to amaze me.

Salut!
Google scares me sometimes. :eek:

johnfoss
2006-11-06, 05:32 PM
The Mythbusters on farting:

Un-Air-able Banned Mythbuster Fart Segment part 1 Keri Byron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisgLhWghRQ)

Un-Air-able Banned Mythbuster Fart Segment part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqFRBHPIE-w)
It says un-airable, but apparently that was just for the more prudish U.S. I'm guessing those segments were broadcast in the UK? BTW, they were hilarious!

...It stinks in here.

Naomi
2006-11-06, 09:02 PM
It says un-airable, but apparently that was just for the more prudish U.S. I'm guessing those segments were broadcast in the UK? BTW, they were hilarious!

...It stinks in here.

Not sure if those segments were broadcast in the UK. Butt firelighting has certainly been broadcast before on TV in the UK. So mythbusters were not the first. Also the Brit version was.. er...somewhat stronger. There was no cloth between the gaseous source and the flame. the effect was rather more visual....Yeurrrk!!

Nao

dan de man
2006-11-06, 09:05 PM
while im here im just going to ask one question,
am i the only one here who posses the rare talent of being able to suck in farts?if you people want i can get an audio clip ,they are big farts

smcmorrow
2006-11-06, 10:02 PM
Burned fart smell HORRIBLE. Millions of times worse than a raw fart. I think farting is very satisfying, and it should not be looked down upon. Everyone should fart every day, and try to make it as loud as possible, its such a great feeling.

tobbogonist
2006-11-07, 02:39 AM
am i the only one here who posses the rare talent of being able to suck in farts?if you people want i can get an audio clip ,they are big farts

I had a friend who could do that, he is no longer my friend.

Lets just say he tried to do it under water and got himself into a spot of trouble.

UniBrier
2006-11-07, 03:18 AM
the rare talent of being able to suck in farts?Two words:

Le (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_394) Petomane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane)

Maybe some day you can do a term paper on him. The presentation should be interesting. Be sure you rinse well first.

Edit: Looks like he has a modern (http://www.mrmethane.com/) protege (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Methane).

tobbogonist
2006-11-07, 03:40 AM
hHey i forgot about Petomane, i seem to remmeber doing a group negotiated study on him in grade eight or there abouts.

dan de man
2006-11-07, 07:42 AM
I had a friend who could do that, he is no longer my friend.

Lets just say he tried to do it under water and got himself into a spot of trouble.
FIRE THE TORPEDOS

BillyTheMountain
2006-11-08, 03:50 AM

Shall I ask: What do you suck in farts with?

wobbling bear
2006-11-08, 04:28 PM
that thread reminds me of something:
in the small village where my wife traces back her origins there is a wood
named "the russian hymn wood"
why?
because my wife's great-grand-father (a famous hunter) was there one morning hunting and suddenly let booming farts scare the game: another hunter noticed that the music was like the beginning of the russian hymn (late 19th century version)... and so the wood kept that name!

JJuggle
2006-11-08, 06:37 PM
that thread reminds me of something:
in the small village where my wife traces back her origins there is a wood
named "the russian hymn wood"
why?
because my wife's great-grand-father (a famous hunter) was there one morning hunting and suddenly let booming farts scare the game: another hunter noticed that the music was like the beginning of the russian hymn (late 19th century version)... and so the wood kept that name!
I do believe you're pulling our collective leg so I will have to insist that you pull our collective finger. ;)