PDA

View Full Version : Bedford Unicycles

Sofa
2003-10-13, 02:49 AM
I would just like to post a review that pretty much covers everything a [Canadian] unicyclist would want.

If you live in Canada (I cannot vouch for intl' shipping costs) there is no reason to get anything unicycling related from any source other than Bedford Unicycles.

I have had nothing but fantastic experiences dealing with Darren Bedford as both an individual customer, and a Canadian Uni club owner.

I have had nothing but quick, knowledgable response and dealings from/with Darren.

For having basically the monopoly of Canadian unicycle dealings, he has unbelievably great prices. His level of personal service is second to none, and even before I developed a 'several things a month on order relationship' with Darren, I was treated as I was his best customer.

He either stops carrying, or stops recommending items in his stock that people have ruined on a regular basis, and will generally seem to replace something 'No questions asked' (although...who is going to replace something that is definetly user-fault....I never tried to return somethign like that, so I can't mention anything about it)

Where unicycle.com seems to sell everything that has one wheel (even the junkiest, pieces of crap), Darren stocks quality stuff at a price you are not going to be able to match.

He is not only a great source of knowledge, but is a great person to know, and to deal with, and I look forward to putting any of his future kids through college with a lifetime of too-many-unicycle purchases.

Brian

UNI GUY
2003-10-17, 04:34 AM
I second that, Darren has always been excellent with everything.

super_evill
2003-10-20, 11:17 PM
I'm thinking of buying a air saddle from him. Would you recommend him?

spyder
2003-10-21, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by super_evill
I'm thinking of buying a air saddle from him. Would you recommend him?
Absolutely.

dazedNcontused
2003-10-21, 04:55 PM
Me too.

super_evill
2003-10-25, 02:50 AM
I just ordered my sir saddle from him. He's very nice and helpful. And he send back e-mails daily. Great Survice.

super_evill
2003-10-25, 02:52 AM
Opps, I ment service.

Checkernuts
2003-10-27, 04:12 AM
Nothing but Love here for Bedford. Great guy great equipment good prices.

Loyal Bedford Unicyclist.

spyder
2003-11-23, 06:34 AM
My wife and I spent 3 hours with Darren this afternoon while he gave our Uni's a tune up/adjustment. He is absolutely amazing and I would have no problems recommending him to anybody.

karl
2003-12-14, 02:45 AM
I agree...

My family personly has 7 bedofrd unicycles and would never settle for anything else.

I would recomend him to anyone

Karl

toddw9
2003-12-17, 07:23 AM
I'm a Canadian thinking about getting a new Uni, based on this and all the other things i've read in the forums, I'm very seriously going to consider looking to Bedford when I talk myself into spending more money on a unicycle.

unisk8r
2003-12-18, 12:59 AM
Just a bit of first-hand caveat: Darren's 28" frames will only fit 28" tires, not a 29" Nanoraptor. Not sure about other 29" tires like the Continental.

UniBrier
2004-01-27, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by unisk8r
Just a bit of first-hand caveat: Darren's 28" frames will only fit 28" tires, not a 29" Nanoraptor. Not sure about other 29" tires like the Continental. Does Darren have both 28 and 29 frames?

I ordered a frame from Darren for my 700c wheelset. He said it would fit a 29er.

I just swapped tires from my Conti Top Touring 28x1.75 to the Nanoraptor 2.1. the Nanoraptor fits but I don't think a Big Apple would.

Here's the crown clearance.

fluffinator007
2004-01-28, 12:25 AM
are the prices on his site in canadian currency or US dollars. If they are in canadian....does anyone know the ratio of Canadian : USD

Rayden
2004-01-28, 05:07 AM
I hope, and bet, that it is in Canadian.
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

1 Canadian $ = $.77 US.

spyder
2004-01-28, 05:25 AM
They're Canadian.

warlockboy
2009-08-31, 04:06 PM
Can someone do me a huge favour? I'd like a few pictures of the Bedford Unicycles... the light duty 24" if possible, but I'm just looking to see what they look like.

olduniman
2009-08-31, 05:28 PM
There are many photos available if you Google

bedford unicycle photos

Darren is a great guy to deal with so you could always phone or e-mail to see if he has pictures or can help you with your decision.

warlockboy
2009-08-31, 05:34 PM
Oh yes, he is, but he's not in this week, and because I'm leaving for a while as well I'd like to do as much research as I can before he returns so if I choose to make a transaction it can be sent as soon as possible.

Do you know any of the specs?

mexico7
2009-09-01, 12:04 AM
heres a pic of my bedford light duty, i dont know all the specs but if you buy a heavy duty 24 " i know it comes with kh moment hub and crank set and a big tire i beleive this is mine right now, im thinking of selling just not sure how much right now or when. but heres the pics

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1158

(sorry its dirty so doesnt look good right in that pics cuz i was MuNi-ing that day)

jaco_flans
2009-09-01, 08:27 PM
Your picture isn't there. what kkind of rim does it comes with? is it an Alexrim DX32?

warlockboy
2009-09-07, 10:30 PM
Anyone?

legtod2
2009-09-14, 12:47 PM
My 29" bedford has over 3000 km, off roading, parades, Terry Fox run's. It does it all.

I recommend you call or email him. He's very responsive.

He supports the unicycle community

But I think he need's a web page update.

Har - har, bet nobody said that to him before

;)

canuck
2009-09-14, 05:08 PM
Which Bedford 29 do you have legtod2, the light or heavy duty? How does it compare to the Nimbus?

mexico7
2009-09-19, 02:21 PM
yaeh, sorry thats the rim yeah

legtod2
2009-09-20, 01:01 PM
Here's a picture of my bedford 29", not sure which duty it is.

I have a nano rapture tire on it right now. Love it, works on ice, mud. It's an all round performer.

My 20" is beside the 29" so you see tire size comparison.

saskatchewanian
2010-04-03, 05:31 AM
Bedford rocks

Where else could you get a KH frame with dual brake mounts.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab161/ericpulvermacher/unicycle%20stuff/IMGP0371.jpg

I was going to get a KH26 frame but he just sold out. He offered to move the mounts on a 29 and I asked him to just add mounts instead of moving them. He agreed.

Got the frame and the work done pretty cheep but i doubt he would do it at the same price again.

Colby Thomas
2010-04-03, 06:31 AM
I am in LOVE with Bedford Unicycles. Darren is the NICEST person I've ever met. I am in love with his service.

evil-nick
2010-04-05, 04:25 PM
The only reason I don't buy more stuff from Darren is 'cause I don't have money to buy more stuff :'(

quaxer
2010-04-09, 07:52 PM
Haha yeah, me too, except that I'm gonna buy a KH frame from him before I stop.

muniing sam
2010-04-10, 05:49 AM
Bedford rocks

Where else could you get a KH frame with dual brake mounts.

Awsome frame!

mexico7
2010-04-24, 06:55 PM
Darren is the man and bedford is the best! i always buy my stuff there! a have an amazing trials uni, that holds up to anything, a sick ultra smotth freestyle wheelset. a custom made seat with miata SH handles and CF base, and an amazing hybrid 24" that i can use for anything, muni, street, you name it. i've beaten the SH*t out of my 24" and its shown no signs of giving. none at all!

Ducttape
2010-04-26, 06:26 AM
Darren is Awesome! I met him at NAUCC last summer. Great guy, I wish I had money for more unicycle stuff I'd go to him with my business any day.

nebrobojobo
2010-05-10, 05:55 PM
What is the setup of your 24"/how much was it? I'm looking at getting a 24" from Bedford (It'll be my first uni) and I'm not sure if I should go for the light duty, heavy duty or a custom setup.

mexico7
2010-05-10, 07:26 PM
well it depend what you wanna do....i mainly do big wheel street now but also enjoy MUni.....
light duty is square tapered hub + cranks with a freeride saddle high roller tire, alex dx 32 rim and haro plastics....heavy duty is the same thing but with ISIS hub cranks (KH) and metal pedals

i just upgraded as i tore my tire and am hopefully getting a newone today so the specs will be
Kh street saddle
bedford steel post
bedford steel 22.2 clamp
bedford steel frame
maxxis holly roller/hookworm
square tapered hub and cranks
oddyessy chameleons
alexdx32 rim and yeah

nebrobojobo
2010-05-10, 08:00 PM
My main intentions are to do some muni, roll around the city and do a bit of trials stuff. Nothing huge as I am pretty new to the sport. I'm trying to figure out if the extra $170 to get the heavy duty is worth it or not for me.

jaco_flans
2010-05-10, 08:42 PM
The ISIS hub and cranks are a really hood upgrade from the Square Taper. I'd suggest to pay 170$ more now then you wont have any problems with your hub\cranks when you'll start hopping.

mexico7
2010-05-10, 11:36 PM
yeah, i agree with Jacob but for some reason ive been lucky...ive been taking drops up to 4/5 feet tall and havent bent my cranks yet...only torn my tire sidewall :P:rolleyes:

nebrobojobo
2010-05-11, 03:33 PM
After a bit of talking with darren, looks like I might go for the KH 24. He's making a me a bit of a deal on it, so I'll just have to cut down on my drinking budget for the year, haha.

blueharmony
2010-05-12, 01:16 AM
I'm sure he's heard it before but it would sure be nice if the web site was updated, including pictures. I would be tempted to buy from Bedford but have nothing with which to compare equipment. I'll bet he could find a local unicyclist willing to snap pictures and at least update the price list.

Darren, are you listening? :-)

aidanteleki
2010-05-12, 03:19 AM
sorrry to interupt but how do you get the website to work? Please help me!

Julia B
2010-05-12, 03:25 AM
Click the link on the page to the pricelist, pick out what you want, and email him. If you're still confused give him a call, Darren's a great guy and he'll help you out. :)

mexico7
2010-05-12, 12:17 PM
Last i asked Darren said hes not on here...

and if you want i have a light duty Street uni 24" i can post pics of once i get my new tire :rolleyes:

aidanteleki
2010-05-12, 06:33 PM
Click the link on the page to the pricelist, pick out what you want, and email him. If you're still confused give him a call, Darren's a great guy and he'll help you out. :)

Click the link on his page on unicyclist community?

Julia B
2010-05-12, 09:56 PM
Click the link on his page on unicyclist community?

The one on bedfordunicycles.ca, the link that says Price List (http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca/pricelist/bedford_pricelist_feb2009.pdf). <--there's a direct link to it.

aidanteleki
2010-05-12, 09:56 PM
thank you so much julia!

aidanteleki
2010-05-12, 10:27 PM
Can anyone post a pic of the 20" trials frame form bedford?

jaco_flans
2010-05-12, 11:54 PM
Can anyone post a pic of the 20" trials frame form bedford?
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65546&highlight=Bedford+unicycles there's one at post #17, #29, #40 and some other posts too.

aidanteleki
2010-05-13, 01:36 AM
Oh thought they were round crown.... but why is his stuff a little bit more expensive than unicycle.com and other sites? Sorry for all the questions....:D

jaco_flans
2010-05-13, 01:54 AM
Maybe it's just because it's in Canadian $$. But I'd get a Nimbus II over a Bedford because the Nimbus has a 25.4mm seatpost(22.2 on bedfords) and it has machined bearing holders. The Bedford looks more "old school" though:p

aidanteleki
2010-05-15, 08:31 PM
No I wasn't going to but one just wanted to know.... :) my last question is what are the pro t-shirts like?

mexico7
2010-05-16, 02:56 AM
thye're sick, they are all the riders Kris holm and bedford have sponsored over the years, everyone from Dan Heaton to Kaori to Kris Holm himself. it is a t shirt with an animated characture of the rider riding their best known style they were known for riding at the time they were sponsored by bedford (MUni for Kris, freestyle for kaori, bc wheel for jeff and spencer, trials for ryan, etc) and they're is lots of selection in riders. they are very cool shirts

aidanteleki
2010-05-16, 11:58 PM
okay cool thanks so much I think I'll get one if they're in stock

jaco_flans
2010-05-18, 07:39 PM
I have Zack Bladwin's shirt (I'm wearing it now:)) but it shows Zack on a Muni, he was riding Trials! I really like it anyway, one of my favorite shirt:D

quaxer
2010-05-18, 08:28 PM
I just visited Darren this weekend. He told me something disturbing. He says that when he gets rid of his current KH stock he's only going to stock Bedford. No more walking in and buying KH parts anymore.:( Otherwise he's a decent guy except I disagree with him about whether Nimbus is a good brand... It is, you know.

blueharmony
2010-05-19, 12:26 AM
I'm not meaning to be negative here, and no offense intended to Darren or anyone else, but I just don't get it. I actually WANT to buy stuff from Bedford but if the only way to know quality, sizing, prices, etc. is to either head to Toronto or call the shop on the phone it seems too much of a hassle. Maybe I'm confused since I'm 3000 miles away.

Never having been to his store I don't understand his business model, does he sell anthing else besides unicycle stuff? I would think a bitchin online presense would bring in considerable income but the Bedford website is nearly unusable and out of date. Business sense says make it as easy as possible for the consumer to consume and they will be fast and easy with their money. That's where he could really stand out in a crowd of shoppers if he wanted to go that way.

Just ranting, don't mind me. It bugs me that there is nowhere nearby I can walk into and actually touch uni products before purchasing. If Bedford were closer I probably wouldn't be complaining, or maybe I would anyway. ;)

yUNIkoner
2010-05-19, 04:32 AM
I'm not meaning to be negative here, and no offense intended to Darren or anyone else, but I just don't get it. I actually WANT to buy stuff from Bedford but if the only way to know quality, sizing, prices, etc. is to either head to Toronto or call the shop on the phone it seems too much of a hassle. Maybe I'm confused since I'm 3000 miles away.

Never having been to his store I don't understand his business model, does he sell anthing else besides unicycle stuff? I would think a bitchin online presense would bring in considerable income but the Bedford website is nearly unusable and out of date. Business sense says make it as easy as possible for the consumer to consume and they will be fast and easy with their money. That's where he could really stand out in a crowd of shoppers if he wanted to go that way.

Just ranting, don't mind me. It bugs me that there is nowhere nearby I can walk into and actually touch uni products before purchasing. If Bedford were closer I probably wouldn't be complaining, or maybe I would anyway. ;)

I have thought the same thing. I am pretty happy with udc Canada though so I haven't tried to find out more about Bedford. My guess is that he isn't interested in having the business get bigger than he can handle. It is either a sideline business that he doesn't want to put more time into or he is getting enough patronage just from people in the Toronto area and he is content with the lifestyle that presents. Maybe he is planning on getting out of the business.
It would be nice to see more Canadian unicycle related businesses with web accessibility.

Ducttape
2010-05-23, 06:31 AM
I just visited Darren this weekend. He told me something disturbing. He says that when he gets rid of his current KH stock he's only going to stock Bedford. No more walking in and buying KH parts anymore.:( Otherwise he's a decent guy except I disagree with him about whether Nimbus is a good brand... It is, you know.
KH pulled his distributorship and I don't think he wants the hassle of having to deal with UDC like everyone else. Smart man.

You could come a few hours south and get stuff from Serious Juggling... I'm not sure why Darren never really expanded the site but I remember a while back(a few years maybe?) there was a thread where someone was building him a new site similar to the KoxxOne site. Not sure what happened to that.

blueharmony
2010-05-24, 03:23 PM
You could come a few hours south and get stuff from Serious Juggling...

As you probably know I've purchased a good deal of stuff from Serious Juggling, as has my son. Although I haven't been to their new store yet, I'll try to stop by the next time I'm in town. They've always done right by me and I feel good supporting a local business.

I hear they will be at NAUCC this year, or at least the Berkeley Juggling Festival. Too bad you won't be able to make it. :(

Ducttape
2010-05-29, 08:35 PM
As you probably know I've purchased a good deal of stuff from Serious Juggling, as has my son. Although I haven't been to their new store yet, I'll try to stop by the next time I'm in town. They've always done right by me and I feel good supporting a local business.

I hear they will be at NAUCC this year, or at least the Berkeley Juggling Festival. Too bad you won't be able to make it. :(
yeah I know haha. I haven't been to the new store yet either. I'm really disappointed I wont be at NAUCC this year, but I have a good job haha.

canuck
2010-06-05, 04:37 PM
Is there an actual Bedford store one can walk into and look at stuff or is it simply something he runs from his house/garage/basement?

quaxer
2010-06-05, 05:56 PM
Yeah, he has a small shop at upstairs in the back of a different building where you can walk in and look at stuff. Darren likes it if you call or email him before you drop in to make sure he'll be there. If you want to visit him sometime, his address is 80 Colville Road, Toronto.

UniB
2010-06-06, 12:13 AM
judt went there today and looks like hes doing good :P
i bout a new frame (KH :D), seatpost and seatclamp from him as well as a tube and a t shirt. came to a total of 110 dollars :D amazing service he put it all together for me free of charge. he had 2 other customers in there while i was there --one was buying KH moments and bedford frame and the other guy was buying a whole KH 24" uni and yeah. looks like he is doing good. its an awesome store. small but he has tons of stock a couch and a TV where he has Uni vids playing at all time so you have something to do if you are waiting for him to finish a job. a few times ive even asked him if i can try and uni and he has let me try some of his own unis.
amazing service and amazing quality --- Darren's the best :D

-Jon

aidanteleki
2010-06-06, 02:23 AM
i bout a new frame (KH :D), seatpost and seatclamp from him as well as a tube and a t shirt.

-Jon

I thought you were addicted to impact!? :D

UniB
2010-06-06, 02:59 AM
what are you talking about lmao??? sure impact is awesome and i really like their products but when i get a deal like what i got it is just as good :P i love impact but i love bedford too. I almost always buy my pArts from Darren and love his service, its just so convienent when i live 45 minutes from his shop :P :rolleyes::p

aidanteleki
2010-06-06, 04:15 PM
ahahhahaahhaha lucky I wish I could go there and live so close.

UniB
2010-06-06, 04:30 PM
yeah its awesome....if i have time after i finish my homework and i can find a camera ill snap a few pics of my uni now and the t shirt, my old bedford frame, etc. :D

UniB
2010-06-09, 12:15 AM
pics of my uni with new upgrades and parts + pic of a bedford t shirt front and bedford frame for aidenteleki

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling211.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling217.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling214.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling216.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling213.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling214.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/b-jon22/album%201/unicycling212.jpg

aidanteleki
2010-06-10, 10:27 PM
Thanks man that helps! :D