Idling is hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling is hard

After almost 10 years, I still can't idle. I can rock back and forth a few times, and then I fall off. This is a skill I feel every unicyclist should have. It's frustrating not being able to IDLE.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW8_sdY0s6g"]Riding a unicycle part 62: Idling is hard - YouTube[/ame]
    UniMyra's YouTube channel

Originally posted by UniMyra View Post
    It's frustrating not being able to idle
    someone on a mtb forum said: unicycling is the most frustrating fun you will ever have, and i think he is right.
    Oldest kid in town - neighbour

Comment

Originally posted by UniMyra View Post
      It's frustrating not being able to idle
      and im sure you can make it if you want to.

Comment

Fun video as always. I also can't idle. I sometimes think I should learn but so far I don't really miss it.

P.S. Your poor floor. If my wife caught me doing this inside on our floors... mmm... I think I might be in some trouble.

Comment

Also my gut feeling based on watching previous videos of yours, is that now that this is starting to really bother you, you will dedicate lots of time to it, nail it and then release a new video with awesome tips.

I'll wait for that one to come out after all your hard work. Then I might try learning.

P.S. Could you hurry up!

Comment

Originally posted by ruari View Post
            Fun video as always. I also can't idle. I sometimes think I should learn but so far I don't really miss it.

P.S. Your poor floor. If my wife caught me doing this inside on our floors... mmm... I think I might be in some trouble.
            My partner wont let me either!
            If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
              you have to set priorities, idling above floor conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
                Sometimes it can feel like they just don't get it. Amirite?

Comment

Sometimes it can feel like they just don't get it. Amirite?
                  Yeah.... and I often offer to see if he wants to ride my unicycles, he always turns me down....
                  If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Comment

I'm nine years in, and I can't really idle either. Still at the counting-the-revs phase, and on a good day on the 20" I might be able to do 40 or 50 revs, but it's never stable. And I can't idle at all on a bigger wheel.

Maybe I'll make it a goal for my 60th birthday. Or my 70th! Or use it as an excuse to keep riding til 80.

Comment

Keep practicing. Seems like you are on the road to success. In your video, you tended to idle along the same axis. I think the secret to improvement, right now, is being able to pivot more during the idle. Try forcing yourself to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise...during your short idling sessions. That might help you pivot. Also, pumping your tire up more will decrease the contact patch and make pivoting easier.

Just curious. How is your backwards riding?

Comment

Every summer I bring the KH20 with me when we go to the family cabin on vacation. I usually practice a little bit every day. A few years ago when my daughter was 12 or 13, she decided to give it a go. When it comes to normal riding, I'm way better than her, but on the third day she was pracicing it clicked, and she was able to idle indefinitely in full control.

Originally posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
                        and im sure you can make it if you want to.
                        Even though I've improved, it feels like an impossible skill to master. I've come to think that my balance is a little off. When my brain says "you're falling, do something about it" it's too late.

Originally posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
                        you have to set priorities, idling above floor conditions.
                        I feel a little bad about the floor situation. And also the fact that I tell other family members to be careful with it. Different rules for dad.

..now that this is starting to really bother you, you will dedicate lots of time to it, nail it and then release a new video with awesome tips.
                        I'm alwyas thinking that I will dedicate time to learn how to idle, riding backwards, and hop over obstacles, but I never do. I alwyas just go for a ride. If I do learn to idle, it will be a big mystery. I'll probably make a video to brag, but I don't think I'll have any tip for you.

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
                        on a good day on the 20" I might be able to do 40 or 50 revs, but it's never stable.
                        Even if I've improved a little bit, I'm never in control. My better attempts feels like pure luck.

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
                        I think the secret to improvement, right now, is being able to pivot more during the idle. Try forcing yourself to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise...during your short idling sessions. Also, pumping your tire up more will decrease the contact patch and make pivoting easier.

Just curious. How is your backwards riding?
                        I'll try what you suggest. My backwards riding is worse than my idling. I find it a little scary to be honest.

Comment

I learned to idle. I don't do it for any practical reason. I dismount at intersections, for example. And I don't juggle while riding or perform in limited spaces. I don't consider it to be very fun, either.

All those reasons to not do it aside, I think idling relates to other technical skills, so it's worth practicing/learning. I asked you about your backwards riding because I learned idling and backwards riding around the same time. Some of the skills seemed to be related. The turning adjustments of backwards riding, for example, seemed to be in the idle.

I noticed in the video that you frequently UPD'd during the backwards part of the idle, maybe because you were leaning forward too much. Practicing full revolutions backwards could break you of that habit. I know what you mean about backwards riding being weird. It was very disorienting for me when I learned.

If you can learn idling and bw riding...and document it on video...that would be helpful and inspirational to others on the forum. It looks like you're on your way to getting idling. Keep practicing!

Comment

Following this video, I got a lot of advice on different social media that I'll try out:

-Pivot more during the idle. Try forcing yourself to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise

-Try a different unicycle (bigger wheel (24) with a slim tyre)

-Riding very very slowly for a few miles.

-As you get to the end of one stroke, allow yourself to pause for a moment and feel which direction your weight is falling, then respond accordingly.

-Straight posture.Keep your head, shoulders, and hips stacked. Think of your chest being pulled up and ever so slightly out when you ride.

-The bottom foot should do all the work / more weight on the bottom foot

Comment

I know this video is coming in the future… I know it!

Comment

Working...
                              X