Mounting a 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a 36

I need some advice.I have some of the fundamentals down.My problem is that once I get up I just can't seem to get my left leg to push down and get the wheel going.I just seem stall out on the top. Are the exercise rountines that I can do to help with the reaction time? Thanks.
    Last edited by spokes; 2008-09-25, 09:17 PM.

It helps if the ground is going a bit down hill. I really have to push it hard to get it rolling.

You might try watching some of Terrys (Unigeezer) videos, I think he does a moving mount that would help

Comment

Originally posted by spokes
      I need some advice.I have some of the fundamentals down.My problem is that once I get up I just can't seem to get my left leg to push down and get the wheel going.I just seem stall out on the top. Are the exercise rountines that I can do to help with the reaction time? Thanks.
      I know this doesn't help but I often have exactly that same issue mounting, even on my 24" Sometimes feels my brain just isn't wired to my foot.

Any tips folks have much appreciated.
      you can ride a unicycle, I remember when that used to be enough - Tobbogonist

Comment

I am the most consistent mounting my 36er with a rolling jump mount. Even slowly rolling the wheel forward helps with the momentum, plus pushing down with my lead foot is more effective coming off the jump. It takes some practice to get it all coordinated, but once you do its pretty consistent.
        Ro

Comment

Hop once you're up there if you have too.

Comment

Here is Terry's video tutorial on mounting a 36'er ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRW7ePkZ_8E

Comment

Vision While Mounting a 36

I've been riding a 36 for about two months. This morning I practiced mounts for a while on a gentle incline, and found that my success with a rolling mount improved dramatically when I focused on what I was looking at during the mount.

This worked well:

1. focus on right pedal until right foot lands.
              2. focus on left pedal until left foot lands.
              3. focus on pavement 15 feet in front.
              4. pedal away.

Has anyone else noticed that focussing what you look at helps your mounts? This was revelation to me.

Comment

Originally posted by spokes View Post
                once I get up I just can't seem to get my left leg to push down and get the wheel going. I just seem stall out on the top.
                I understand the OP is probably long gone since 2008 but I read something that might help. Envision (imagine) yourself riding away not just jumping up. I would stall often when I don't envision myself taking off.
                My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

Brake

I lock the wheel with the brake while I jump on .......... not a conventional way to do it but it works for me
                  Unicycling in the Scottish Highlands

"Unicycle into the Skye" unicycle tour Scotland June 2015

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Highland.Unicyclist

Comment

Working...
                  X