Cant seem to learn to uni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
    The use of support for learning is frequently debated. I am strongly of the opinion that using support such as a fence is detrimental to learning because it inhibits the fundamental action of riding, which is putting the wheel under your fall. Falls toward the fence cannot be controlled while the rider is disinclined to save the falls by riding away from the fence.
    I agree with everything you said. However, there are some remedial skills in unicycling that may be effectively learned with a crutch. For example, learning how to keep pressure on the pedals throughout the 360 degrees of the pedal stroke. Also, learning which foot to remove first from the pedal, and at what position. Both these skills don't help in learning to ride, but they make learning safer.

Comment

Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
      However, there are some remedial skills in unicycling that may be effectively learned with a crutch.
      I start learners off with support just to get feel for the uni and to understand how to do basic steering.

This is only for a few minutes before moving on to a takeoff pole or backstop. Best not let them stay too long with support. My goal is to have them riding ten metres unsupported within an hour so there isn't much time to waste.

Note that this is on a trials uni which is much easier to learn than the generally available cheapies, due to the longer cranks and wider tyre.
      Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
        Note that this is on a trials uni which is much easier to learn than the generally available cheapies, due to the longer cranks and wider tyre.
        This note is what inspired me to get a fat-tired 20 incher.
        Nimbus Oracle 24" muni, Nimbus II 20" Independence, Gotway MSuper V3 EUC, ebay EUC trainer

Comment

Did he quit?

Phantham never really replied after starting the string.
          Hello...you out there? Did you ever succeed.

There were many good advice given, but here's "reality" we must face.
          Quitters!!!

Oh well...what do they say about statistically how many % succeed at unicycling?
          We are the rare and few!!
          Who have attempted and succeeded at the impossible!!!
          Last edited by slamdance; 2020-03-28, 05:53 PM. Reason: Optional

Comment

Working...
          X