Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caseytronic View Post
    6 Month Follow - Up: Good So Far

Both the 1 and 2 bolt setups have been holding up fine under a lot of muni riding. I had one of the screws on the 2 bolt work itself loose, but lock-tite fixed it. Its possible that the bolt angle is to blame for loosening - the bolts are not totally perpendicular to the stiffener plate where they press into it.
    1 Year follow-up: No Issues

Both the 1 and 2 bolt setups have been holding up fine under a lot of (mostly XC) muni riding with some high speed falls on the G26.

I decided to see how much weight I could drop by drilling out the reinforcement plate for my 1-bolt setup, and if it would noticeably reduce stiffness of the handle setup. I used a hole saw to drill 2 overlapping holes near the 4 bolt mounting area. This was where stress seemed minimal - I could draw a straight line between the lower plate mounting holes on the nose and the centered hole near the seatpost without intersecting my drilled area.

Result: Saved 12g and no noticeable reduction in stiffness. I did achieve a 100% reduction in my ability to ever warranty or return my stiffener plate though. This project is only worth the effort (30 minutes) if you are a compulsive tinkerer like me and just need to experiment on your gear now and then.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by caseytronic; 2018-02-21, 04:12 PM. Reason: typo, forgot to add info.

Comment

Originally posted by caseytronic View Post
      1 Year follow-up: No Issues

Both the 1 and 2 bolt setups have been holding up fine under a lot of (mostly XC) muni riding with some high speed falls on the G26.

I decided to see how much weight I could drop by drilling out the reinforcement plate for my 1-bolt setup, and if it would noticeably reduce stiffness of the handle setup. I used a hole saw to drill 2 overlapping holes near the 4 bolt mounting area. This was where stress seemed minimal - I could draw a straight line between the lower plate mounting holes on the nose and the centered hole near the seatpost without intersecting my drilled area.

Result: Saved 12g and no noticeable reduction in stiffness. I did achieve a 100% reduction in my ability to ever warranty or return my stiffener plate though. This project is only worth the effort (30 minutes) if you are a compulsive tinkerer like me and just need to experiment on your gear now and then.
      12gm is 1/1000 of 12 kg, 1/10 000 of 120 kg.
      The saved weight is between 1/10 000 and 1/5 000 of your body weight and it's not rotational weight.
      I'm not sure it is even worth a second of work, but it sounds like you are 100% aware of that.
      - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
      - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
      - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
      - Qu-ax trial 19"
      -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

Ha! Yes - I sometimes post projects that didn't work or were not worth the effort so other people can learn from my mistakes.

Comment

Working...
        X