Breathing life into an old Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing life into an old Axis

So they say that you should always give away your first Uni. A gesture that expands our community and lets face it, off loads that old sentimental pile of goser that you'll never ride again.

So mine was a 20" Axis. Ordered from UDC and the bane of my existence in my early Uni days. The time came, however, for me to pass the torch along to a friend who was interested enough to give her some attention.

Co-incidentally, that very same week, a work colleague sent me a photo of an Axis hanging on his friends garage wall with the sub-text: "Want it?"

Oh yes, yes I did.

Perhaps it was the guilt I felt about letting my first love go that drove me to spend the kind of money I did on this restoration but whatever the reason, I'm very happy with the result.

Here's a breakdown if you're interested:
    * Disassemble and throw out rusted parts i.e. Spokes, cranks, seat, bearings, crank bolts, bearing screws.
    * Grind back chrome to a surface I can paint over
    * Apply self etching primer
    * Apply paint
    * Wait an age for all parts to arrive from China/USA/UK
    * Remember how to spoke and true a wheel
    * Assemble and get my hockey on
    Attached Files
    Last edited by benjjo; 2016-10-14, 09:30 PM.
    Custom 36" (Mostly Nimbus) | Equinox 19" | Various UDC
    https://www.instagram.com/benjosputnik

I recently rebuilt my Qu-Ax 20 inch Luxus wheel (plain alloy rim) using stainless steel spokes ($24 posted on eBay) and replaced the chrome steel cranks with Nimbus cranks. Took the opportunity to clean and polish the hub and rim.

The same day that I ordered the spokes, I bought a Qu-Ax Profi (black double wall rim, 48 black spokes, red ISIS hub, 100 mm alloy cranks) on eBay for $50 + post. It came with a white tyre and non-marking white pedals.

Put the rebuilt Luxus wheel in the Profi flat top frame with the white tyre and pedals to make a lovely white/alloy/chrome freestyle uni. Completed with gold seat post clamp and valve cap.

The virtually indestructible ISIS wheel has the Maxxis Hookworm tyre and the Luxus frame making a great black/red/chrome street uni.

Replaced both the seat posts with longer chrome steel posts to suit my height. Both look fabulous. Total cost of both unis and parts under $300.

I call them The Qu-Ax Twins.
    Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

Oh yes. Nice job on your refurbish too.
      Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

Benjjo very nice restoration. Love the colors you choose.
        Last edited by Unicyclist Lou; 2016-10-15, 03:10 PM.

Comment

That came out so clean! Good job!
          More ideas than talent

Comment

Working...
          X