X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davidp
    replied
    Originally posted by ruari View Post
    Also, has anyone tried any of the following?

24X2.8/3.0" (76-507) Mongoose:

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Fat-.../dp/B071HWZVS5
    I picked up one of these for my son's Torker DX 24". It's actually a Chaoyang Sparrow 24x3. I assume it's listed as a Mongoose tire because it's OEM on their kids plus size bike. The Amazon listing calls it a 2.8/3.0 because it's no where near 3" in width.

On the 39mm wide DX32 it measures 68mm at the knobs (66mm casing) so not even a 2.8 on this rim, but it's just about the largest tire the Torker has clearance for. I weighed it at just under 900g.

The width and tread is very similar to the Vee Trax Fatty that I have on a 26" wheel (the same tread pattern is on the Vee 36").

I'd say the tire is good for all around use - it has good road manners, and the knobs offer enough grip for dry/packed trails.

Leave a comment:

• Vogelfrei80
    replied
    Originally posted by caseytronic View Post
    Agreed on the tubeless specific rims ...
    BroncoJohn68 said he had good luck setting up the Big Roller 24 with a split tube style tubeless setup. Haven't tried it yet though.
    I can confirm that the split tube setup is easy and could be used with every kind of rim.
    I've had a bad time trying to set tubeless a 26" Try-all TWO-four using gorilla tape and Stan's sealant. I'm a beginner in tubeless affairs, but at the 3rd try I choosed a 20" inner tube going with the split method... I get it in about 30 minutes and I never pumped it again (maybe one year ago). Today I read your post and decided to set tubeless also my 29" KH... get a 20" tube my son got flat, split it and set my 29" KH rim tubeless with a WTB ranger 3" tire. Split tube setup is easy and time saver. Not sure about weight removed, but great for low pressure and for avoiding flats

Leave a comment:

• grizbach
    replied
    ruari,
    I actually have the basic version of that(steel frame, no brake).

http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...05#post1690005

Seems they might have discontinued it?
    It still has a hub for a brake! For the riding I do, brake is not needed.

I put a shim under the bearing to stop tire rub, but if I am torquing up a steep hill, it touches slightly.

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied
    Originally posted by grizbach View Post
    I've got a 24X4.0 Mission Command.
    What rim size do you have that mounted on? As I am kinda interested in larger tyres and have the frame clearance but I am not sure my rim would accommodate such a sizable tyre.
    Never mind, I see that the 507 URC MOUNTAIN UNICYCLE 24" - SERIES 1 - FAT (which based on your signature sounds like what you have), comes with this tyre (or a or CHAOYANG Big Daddy 24x4.00) and has a Alu 47mm single wall or 46mm REINFORCED (double wall) rim.
    Last edited by ruari; 2019-04-25, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied
    Originally posted by grizbach View Post
    What rim size do you have that mounted on? As I am kinda interested in larger tyres and have the frame clearance but I am not sure my rim would accommodate such a sizable tyre.

Leave a comment:

• grizbach
    replied

Or perhaps (assuming a suitable rim and clearance), Vee Rubber's 24X4.0"(102-507) Mission Command?

https://www.veetireco.com/listings/j...ssion-command/
    LOVE it! It's actually about 26.5X3.5. It rolls over uneven fields wonderfully while having great torque.

I only need 2 uni's, my 24 fatty(off road) and my 32(road)

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied
    Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
    Mine is:
    54-507
    24 x 2.10
    I had to go out to the garage to double check. I hope Schwalbe still makes the 2.10" width.

I think the tire comes in several sizes. I have a 2.25 Smart Sam on my 26" muni.
    Ok here is one of the locations I saw it for sale as

Etrto size = 60-507
    Inch size = 24 x 2.35

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi.../?currency=USD

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    I can see Smart Sams for sale as 24x2.35" (60-507). Perhaps an update from Schwalbe?
    Mine is:
    54-507
    24 x 2.10
    I had to go out to the garage to double check. I hope Schwalbe still makes the 2.10" width.

I think the tire comes in several sizes. I have a 2.25 Smart Sam on my 26" muni.

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied

24X2.8" (70-507) Vee Rubber Crown Gem:

https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-crown-gem/

24X2.8/3.0" (76-507) Mongoose:

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Fat-.../dp/B071HWZVS5

Or perhaps (assuming a suitable rim and clearance), Vee Rubber's 24X4.0"(102-507) Mission Command?

https://www.veetireco.com/listings/j...ssion-command/

Leave a comment:

• ruari
    replied
    Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
    Width: Smart Sam is only 2.1" wide.
    I can see Smart Sams for sale as 24x2.35" (60-507). Perhaps an update from Schwalbe?

Leave a comment:

• elpuebloUNIdo
    replied
    Schwalbe "Smart Sam"

Bought this tire for my newest, 24" unicycle. Tried to make the uni light as possible: Impact 24" frame (with the new, smaller, lighter bearings), Exceed titanium hub, KH rim, Impact Naomi seat, Venture 150mm cranks. I was really frustrated with the lack of 24" tire choices after spending a few hours reading the forums and looking online. Wanted to keep the weight as low as possible. So, I settled for the Schwalbe Smart Sam. I've done enough miles on it, I think, to write a review.

Width: Smart Sam is only 2.1" wide. Turns out, that works pretty well for the off-road conditions in SoCal. Riding through sandy spots is doable, but requires better technique, specifically that I keep the unicycle under me at all times. My major concern about width is the relative narrowness of the tire compared to the relative width of the KH rim. The rim is going to get gouged, I'm sure, but hopefully not badly enough to cause a problem.

Wear: It is a "performance" tire, which means, I think, that it's long-wearing. Compared to the Ardent on my 26", if I try to ride up a curb without hopping, the Smart Sam is more likely to slip. Perhaps the longer-wearing rubber doesn't grab as well. As we know, everything's a compromise, and the more frequent losses of traction on my 24" with the Smart Sam are mitigated by the lightness and ease at making quick adjustments (and the maneuverability of the light setup in general), allowing me to avoid a UPD.

Weight: Smart Sam weight only 515 grams (I'm being a weight-weenie about this unicycle). It has a wire bead. Responsiveness is important to me, and the relative lightness of this tire provides very instant feedback to the pedals.

Pressure: I weight about 210 lbs (I'm afraid to weigh myself after all the holiday eating). I played around with the pressure of the Smart Sam, and have settled on 36-37psi for mixed-conditions. This is pretty hard, but it avoids folding and wobbliness, and probably helps to protect the rim. If you're used to a DH tire like the Duro, you would have trouble getting used to the Smart Sam.

Flats: I had a series of flats in the first few weeks of riding. Not sure why they happened, but thorns are a major culprit in SoCal. Haven't had any problems lately. I told the LBS about my thorn flats; they suggested going tubeless; then I remembered I have the KH rim with the holes in it. Oops. Not sure I want to deal with the mess of tubeless, anyway.

TPI: I have no opinion about this. The Schwalbe web site uses "EPI" (ends per inch) and the Smart Sam is 67 EPI.

Tread pattern. Looks like a MTB tire. I don't know much about this...

Overview: On a mixed ride, Smart Sam is good in a variety of conditions. Probably avoid this tire on wet or sinking conditions, or if you're constantly running over roots. Given the long-lasting compound of the tire, and that I run it at moderate/higher pressure, it feels pretty good on blacktop or pavement, not too grabby. It is quite twitchy (with the light setup) off-road. Climbing a steep, single track trail, it's both easier and harder to manuever. Easier becuse it pivots and starts/stops more easily when I want it to, harder because it does the same when I don't want it to. Smart Sam is not a serious tire for any specialized purpose, but it doesn't totally suck, either, at a variety of stuff, at least for a middle-aged rider like myself who doesn't bomb down technical hills, do large drops, etc. I bought the tire primarily for lightness, and all things considered, I like it.

Leave a comment:

• caseytronic
    replied
    Agreed on the tubeless specific rims - I wish I knew of one in the 24 in size. Tubeless is a necessity for me. Where I live, If I roll over something alive, its either a snake or it has thorns.

BroncoJohn68 said he had good luck setting up the Big Roller 24 with a split tube style tubeless setup. Haven't tried it yet though.

Leave a comment:

• jaco_flans
    replied
    Originally posted by pierrox View Post
    What did you go for ?
    I first went with a Velocity Blunt35, and then switched to a Derby Carbon rim. The Derby holds better because it has a nicer design, but the Velocity was all right too, I only burped once!

Leave a comment:

• pierrox
    replied
    Originally posted by jaco_flans View Post
    I eventualy switched wheel size and rim and tubeless is probably the best thing I have ever done. I love it.
    What did you go for ?

Leave a comment:

• jaco_flans
    replied
    Originally posted by caseytronic View Post
    1. Tubeless riding:
    The thinner sidewalls produced more noticeable fold-over when tubeless. I transferred it over to a wider KH rim (47mm vs 39mm for the DX32) which helped a bit, but still not perfect. The KH Rim leaked a bit more b/c the Stans downhill strip is a bit narrow for this tire.
    Just a note, a tubeless specific rim makes riding tubeless amazing. I've ridden tubeless on a KH rim and it was horrible to me. I eventualy switched wheel size and rim and tubeless is probably the best thing I have ever done. I love it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X