"Official" 24" Muni Tire/Tyre Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sillycontraption View Post
    When I wear it out maybe I will try a high roller, Cyclops or......
    Do it all tire for a 24"? Check out the Felt Berm Master 24x3. $25 direct from Felt.

Comment

Thanks Davidp. I didn't see that I could get it directly from Felt.

By the way the kiniption reacts badly to road crown on the 42mm Nimbus rim but is much much better on the 47mm KH rim.
      "A unicycle is a silly contraption."
      My wife

Comment

Another potential option, although not sure on cost and weight.

My neighbor just bought his daughter a Specialized Rip Rock 24, which has a 2.8"X24" Big Roller tire that would also work for Muni. Specialized doesn't list them on their site yet, but if they are priced similar to the kids Ground Control Tires ($40) it should be relatively affordable.
        Last edited by Paochow; 2016-06-12, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Hi
          The Specialized 2.8"X 24" Big Roller tire is how listed and in stock in New Zealand.
          I have been looking to order one for my new (just ordered) KH24".

I'm back to Muni again

Yes Sold my old Ti Muni 26" back in 2011 and have been away for Unicycling until my new one comes in the mail

Kiwi Pete's back to riding a Muni part time
          Life can be Short so go ride Muni!

Comment

Great PeterG! Congratulations on getting back to riding! Let us know how the big roller does. It looks way better than the 24" fat options out now.
            Matt
            "A unicycle is a silly contraption."
            My wife

Comment

I got a big roller 24x2.8 after seeing one on a friends sons bike. My view is that it is noticeably lighter than the Duro but also noticeably flimsier. I have to add I am on the big side, 6'2" and around 250lbs, so I put more strain on the tyre than many smaller riders will!

Listed weight for the tyre is just over half that of the Duro so the thinner and flexier sidewalls are to be expected, and if you are an average or light rider and don't do big hops or drops it won't be a problem.

The other thing I have found is the big roller reacts more to road crown/camber than the Duro. Not as bad as the maxxis hookworm or holy roller though. My daily after-work ride is mainly on gravel and dirt, but has a section of tarmac for maybe 300m and this is where I notice the auto-steer. On gravel it's much less noticeable.

All in all I think it's a good tyre, the issues I have with it have not been serious or annoying enough for me to swap it back to the Duro yet, and I hope that as my weight comes down I will come to like it even more!

Hope this review is helpful to someone.

Comment

Comment

Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...-roller/117678

Only $25- I'll be getting one to try!

Comment

Is it one side or both knees? I've hit one knee consistently only to notice my seat was slightly crooked.

Comment

It's worse on the right leg, but it is both sides. I might also take my brake (magura hs33) off to see if it's actually the frame or the brake that my leg hits. I can't really check while riding because I reckon I would fall off! Both my bigger unis have disc brakes and the 19" has no brake.

Comment

Originally posted by Paochow View Post
                        Big roller is up on the US site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...-roller/117678

Thanks Paochow. I went ahead and ordered one, even though my current Duro still has a lot of miles left on it. You can never tell when availability will change! I ordered a tube, too -- a good deal at $8, I thought.
                        "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

Originally posted by Paochow View Post

Sounds interesting! This could be a good alternative to the Duro. It saves 565g of weight. Size shall be nearly identical as the 3" Duro is only about 2.8" in real. The thread pattern looks less agressive but it has a nice round profile.

Originally posted by LanceB View Post
                          Thanks Paochow. I went ahead and ordered one, even though my current Duro still has a lot of miles left on it. You can never tell when availability will change! I ordered a tube, too -- a good deal at $8, I thought.
                          I'm looking forward to your testing results.

Has anyone testet it yet? How does it ride, compared to the Duro?
                          Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                          einradsachsen.com
                          f/EinradSachsen
                          07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

Well I have back ordered one for myself too
                            Due in stock next week in New Zealand but maybe two weeks away..
                            I also ordered and got a pair of Specialized 2FO flat shoes

It's friday night now and the weekend awaits to go Muni riding

Kiwi Pete
                            Life can be Short so go ride Muni!

Comment

I have one in the post too! Hopefully it'll arrive next week... Can't wait to try it. I love the Duro, but that thing is heavy uphill!

Comment

It seems not to be available in Germany yet. I'm awaiting the response of my LBS tomorrow, maybe they know when it will be available.
                                Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                                einradsachsen.com
                                f/EinradSachsen
                                07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

Working...
                                X