No announcement yet.

"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could be wrong but I don't see the market going towards fatter tires on the 29er. That's partly due to better suspension and partly towards a general trend towards lightness. Plus there's the 650b rim size standard that may become quite trendy on bikes in 2012-2013.

For unis, I don't see it happening too much either, because beyond a certain size/weight of tire and technical level of trail, most rider's choice of wheel size most commonly steps down a notch, from 29 to 26 or 26 to 24 (with some of the serious 29er rider crowd also shifting to a geared 26). The reason I picked a 47 mm rim for the KH29 is that it lets me "get away with" a lighter tire and create the illusion of higher volume, while keeping the weight down for the kind of XC I'd typically do on this uni (the drilled KH29 Freeride 47 mm rim is the same weight as the undrilled 38 mm XC rim). All that said, the Dissent is still a very good for those inclined towards super aggressive riding; this really isn't a criticism of the tire for that niche.

In 2010 I rode a 26x2.7, single ply, discontinued Specialized tire on my geared KH26 for the entire summer and really liked it (2.7 and only 1000 gm). I am running a single ply 26x2.5 High Roller right now (which due to weight is by far the better selling tire, versus dual ply, in this size) and it seems to be reasonably well supported by the 47 mm rim. I'm not sure I'd use it on a much narrower rim though (e.g. 40 mm would be OK, below that not so much).
    Last edited by danger_uni; 2012-03-13, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, wanna bring this one back up with a quick question.

I tend to ride a few miles of XC every weekend, mostly old dirt farm roads with the occasional ST mixed in if I'm feel like checking my fishing spots, whatever. My dilemna is that during the week most of my riding is just around the house on pavement, and it likes to eat the tread on my Dissent.

So is there a good all terrain 29er tire out there? Was looking at a Kenda SB8 potentially.

Or would I be better off just getting an Ardent and a Big Apple and just switching tires out all the time?

Thanks for your time, sorry for the newb questions...
      Last edited by Killian; 2012-04-06, 08:41 PM.
      "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

Comment

Hi,
        Is it okay if I ask a few Q's as well, as I didn't want to start a thread.
        I'm just starting reading this one because I'm very interested ingetting a 29er for very very light level muni use, but mainly flat smooth paths.

Does 'xc' mean cross country?
        What does DH mean and
        If I buy a uni with a 29" tyre on it, will a 28" tyre also fit on the same rim?

Will I too be going the same route as Killian ?

cheers,
        Last edited by Alucard; 2012-04-06, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Specialized Purgatory 29x2.4?

Comment

Originally posted by Killian View Post
            So is there a good all terrain 29er tire out there? Was looking at a Kenda SB8 potentially.
            I think deadbeatpope has been using a SB8 for mixed riding for about a year; maybe he can offer some feedback. I don't know how well the tread wears on pavement but it seems like a good tire for this type of use.

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
            What does DH mean and
            XC = cross country
            DH = down hill
            29" and 28" tires both refer to 700c rims; see http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Comment

I'll ask him, thanks!

Comment

Thanks davidp

Comment

What does DH mean and
                  XC Cross Country, so fast, flowing, easy to intermediate mtb trails
                  DH Down Hill, steep and technical, rough terrain, lots of obstacles, drops

700c and 29" are the same, not sure anyone sells a 28" tire, it's not a standard size.

Knobby tires wear out on pavement, esp if they are a soft rubber like the Dissent. If you are looking for a crossover tire for mixed pavement and dirt use, look for one that has more of a centerline or knobbies, maybe a little narrower like a 2.2-2.3"

The tire mfgs usually list a rubber hardness, shoot for a duromenter of 60 or more. If you are doing a lot of hard turns, hopping, on asphalt, then even the hardest rubber will wear out quickly.

A big Apple is fine for road, but it won't handle anything off road other than firm and dry, since it is more or less a road slick.
                  I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

Thanks Nurse Ben for the info.
                    I've decided to go with the Big Apple as most of my riding will be on smooth surfaces.

Comment

• Checking in -

Killian did get in touch. I have been riding the SB8 for about 2 years now and love it. Very efficient and light, excellent traction. Not high-volume, not-bouncy. Pavement wears the tire harder than dirt but not enough to be a problem. Tight tread pattern creates a pretty smooth ride on pavement.

Re: 28" & 29" tires. Tire size is measured by the outside of the inflated tire. A 29" tire is a 28" tire that is 2" or fatter. 28" tires are for hybrid (comfort) bikes.
                      ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
                      "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

• I will be getting an SB8 here soon. Seems like just the tire for me.

Thanks again Deadbeatpope!

Comment

• For Alucard

What are you buying?

Comment

• Hi unibiddy

Funny you should ask. I've just come back from posting on 57Unirider............thread.
                            I've ordered a 29"" but it's lost in the post

It's got the apple tyre. I think that was the best choice for what I'll be doing with it. I'll be mainly on tarmac with the occasional bit of gravel. If I do decide to go for something with knobs on I'll go to my local halfrauds and see whats there, that way I get to actually see the tyre and not just a piccy.

cheers,

Alucard

Comment

• Reposted from main uni forum:

So, I did a nice big loop last night, suffering though the beginning heat and humidity of early summer, but I just had to get Hans on thr trails

Pre set up: KH 29, KH FR 47mm rim, Ardent 2.4 @ 16-18psi
                              Post set up: KH 29, KH FR 47mm rim, Hans Dampf @ 14-16psi

First off, I really like the Ardent 2.4, it has been a great tire for me, wet or dry, I have ridden this tire may miles over the past year + and my only complaint in that time is that the Ardent could use a slightly sturdier casing and sidewall, BUT taken a complete tire it is a very balanced design.

Last night my ride with Hans @ 16psi started with a 100yds of asphalt, so the first thing I looked at was crowning issues; the Hans does not crown hadly as much as the Ardent. So then I headed into some firm up/down flowing single track, I found the Hans to be a bit firmer than the Ardent, "fewer hard hits" as I went over roots and landing off smal drops was more secure/stable.

Then I headed into some technical, rocky ledges, steady climbing for 1/4 mile, Hans handled quite well, stuck to the rock at least as good as the Ardent, fewer hard hits as expected. The climbing felt good, the Hans seems to hold a line better than the Ardent and was easier to transition across rough terrain.

From there I headed into a technical downhill, mostly firm dirt and some root drops, a little firm mud, Hans did as well or better than the Ardent. I was getting zapped by the humidity at this point, so I missed a couple lines and had to go back and do them again, otherwise Hans was working well.

After a break I headed into a mixed single track section along the water, a little firm mud, lots of roots, some rock, Hans was feeling a bit too firm probably cuz I was getting tired, so I dropped the pressure to 14psi. Things were very different, tire was noticeabley slower and I struggled a bitto stay on my line, but I chalk some of that up to being fatigued. After a little bit I get back in the swing, my riding felt better and I was able to clean a series of "climbing" root stairs that usually gives me trouble. I also noticed that even at 14psi I was still not getting much in terms of hard hits, so the casing was very supportive even at low psi.

The last technical section is an easy downhill into a wood bridge leading to a rooty/rocky/eroded hill climb that I have never cleaned; came cloase last week on my 26er. Well, I cleaned it, smoothly and without much strain, suprising considering my fatigue. Was it the tire?

So, after one ride, Hans 1, Ardent 0, but with some caveats: The Hans rides firm, even at 14psi, so for light folks this might not be comfortable, though maybe at 12psi it would be fine. In terms of ride quality the Ardent is more comfortable and maybe faster, though I wouldn't say that Hans is slow, because it's not. Hans is a firmer casing and lands drops far better than the Ardent, more like a light DH tire such as my Arrow 26 x 2.6, so for folks whouse their 29er for tech muni, the Hans would be a better choice than the Ardent.

In conclusion, noting that I have only taken one ride; though it was a good test ride, I would say that the Ardent is a great tire for XC and light Freeride, but for Freeeride and light DH the Hans is a far better choice. Now the price, wow, $80 delivered is not cheap, but tires seem to last for a while...

My question now is whether a 26 x 2.4 Hans would be a nice 26er tire
                              Added another ride yesterday, a little more flowing, some steep ups and downs, played with tire pressure, surfaces varied from firm dry to damp, not a lot of mud. It was hot, 60-70% humidity, temps around 85f, so I found that the tire needed more air pressure to keep from folding and getting rim shots. I'm not sure why Hans is not feeling as firm on Day two as Day one, I don't think I gained any weight...but in terms of air pressure and sidewall support, I am finding that Hans is on par with the Ardent.

What I notice most about the Hans vs the Ardent is that the outside knobbies on the Hans are very soft, so they flex when making hard turns. At first I thought this was the sidewall, but it does appear to be the knobbies. I started with the pressure at 14psi which rode nicely over tech terrain, but was soft and squirrely when leaned over through turns at speed, so I gradually bumped the pressure up to 17-18psi which firmed it up nicely.

The Hans is not that much more robust in terms of sidewall support than the Ardent, but it does have a deeper tread and stickier knobbies. Hans feels more "rubbery" than the Ardent, which is probably due to having more rubber in the sidewall and a sticky tread. The Hans is not a DH tire, so for 29ers the only DH styled tires are the Kodiak and the Dissent. I'm going to get a couple more rides on the Hans, then remount the Ardent and see how it feels in comparison. So far I like Hans, but I'm still getting a feel for whether it is significantly better than the Ardent. In a couple weeks I'll have access to a Dissent for comparison, been a while since I rode one, so that'll be interesting...

Save your money, for now
                              Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-05, 02:40 PM.
                              I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Do any of you have experience running a 24" or 26" wheel on a 29er frame? Is there any disadvantage to doing something like that? Sorry to be off topic, but I figure I will toss this out where the 29er owners are at.

Comment

Working...
                                X