No announcement yet.

"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be fine, it's not that high, unlike when I fly into Denver and tri skiing Loveland Pass on the same day

I rode the Dissent and Kodiak when they first came out, and I know Josh is a big Dissent fan, but I didn't find the love. For me the Dissent was just not all that special, didn't seem to shine in any way, almost like it was too much sidewall and not enough width. The Kodiak was a little better, but due to the high centerline, it doesn't like to track straight.

The ardent is awesome, can't think of what I would change since it is the perfect balance of weight, durability, stability, and traction. Maybe I'd add some width and height, volume to make it more like a 2.6-2.7

I rode the Ardent in Colorado for two weeks this past June and it did just as well on those "groomed" trails you have out West as it does back home in the hills of East Tennessee Seriously, having tried nearly every fat 29er tire, it is not suprising that Kris rides one. But, they are expensive.

In terms of durability, I have ridden mine on sharp rock for months now and I have yet to even scratch the sidewall.
    I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

Originally posted by SinisterJay View Post
      Thanks Nurse Ben! I'll give that 26" Duro tube a shot.
      Hmm... I just got that tube in. WOW, it's heavy.
      it actually weights just about a lb. (453 grams). The tube I'm currently running is about 220 grams, a little under 1/2 that weight.

I may just cross my fingers and keep that tube on standby. I'm not sure I want to tack all that rotational weight back on.
      Nimbus 24 MUni
      Nimbus Trials
      Triton 29'er w/MountainUni disc brake system.

Comment

Jay, think of it this way:

The Dissent is 1400gm, the Ardent is 800gm, you have 600gm to play, so what's a couple hundred grams of tube?

Your call, but I run that tube in all my unis and it makes up for what many tires lack in the sidewall.

I would not say my 29er is heavy by any stretch and that's with the K1 cranks which way nearly as much as Moments.

Try it both ways and see which rides better.

Comment

Bump. . .

I'm going back to 29er muni this year (had a 26 guni wheel in the 29 frame last year).

I've still got the Stout 2.3 tire, it's in decent shape, and I don't really have any complaints about it.
          Is the Ardent 2.4 enough better to justify switching? Any other new tire options?

Also, I noticed that with the 26" Ardent, it fit very very very tightly on the rim (KH 26 rim). I actually broke a (plastic) tire iron on it, and I have doubts as to whether I would have been able to fix a flat on a trail if I had needed to, which made me nervous. How does the Ardent 29 fit?

BTW, I'm still using the KH XC rim.
          My 29er is my little wheel. Roll it, baby!

pLs forgve anu typist imak win positing forum my fone.

Comment

Is your 26 a wire bead or folding? I reinstalled my 29x 2.4 Ardent a couple weeks back and it was tight, but doable, maybe an 8/10 in difficulty.

It was certainly not as bad as trying to get a tire on and off a K1 rim

I can't remember getting the 26 Ardent on, but I'll let you know when I take it off for tire testing next week.

The Ardent is much better than the Stout, there's no comparison. The only tire I like as much as the Ardent is the Racing Ralph 2.4, but it doesn't have a thick casing and so at my weight I had to run a higher pressure (20psi vs 16 psi) to avoid snake bites. But man, is that RR light and fast!

The Ardent probably has 15-20% more volume, stickier rubber, and a stronger casing/side wall, plus it's lighter by a fair amount.

Comment

Thanks Ben, I'll start looking for an Ardent around town and on sale (I'm probably still at least a couple months out from being able to muni after breaking my leg).

Comment

Oh, that's right, you're still on injured reserve!

Hopefully you'll be ready to ride when things warm up, though with the light winter we've had here and in many places out West, maybe Missoula is already warming up?

I probably have close to forty rides on the Ardent now, over 200 miles for sure, 70 miles in the past two months alone, it is a great tire. Today I rode with my wife, she rides a bike, anyway it was nearly sevent degrees F so the 16psi I've been running over the winter was feeling a little soft, so I gave the tire five pumps and all was good.

I have a Racing Ralph 2.4 you could try, let me know if you're interested, it was a little light for my weight, but it is still a great tire , might work well for 160#.

Comment

Ardent 29x2.4 fit

Originally posted by uniShark View Post

I noticed that with the 26" Ardent, it fit very very very tightly on the rim (KH 26 rim). I actually broke a (plastic) tire iron on it, and I have doubts as to whether I would have been able to fix a flat on a trail if I had needed to, which made me nervous. How does the Ardent 29 fit?

BTW, I'm still using the KH XC rim.
                  uniShark,

I've mounted and dismounted the Ardent 29x2.4 on both the XC and Freeride rims and fit is not overly tight. In fact, I was a bit concerned that the fit was so loose that it might be susceptible to snakebite punctures, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. I also have a Dissent 29x2.5 and it's a much tighter fit than the Ardent 29x2.4, but nowhere near as tight a fit as the Duro 24x3 on my N24 -- which absolutely requires metal tire irons.

Speedy healing!

Cheers,
                  Bert
                  Last edited by UPD in Utah; 2012-03-12, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                    Oh, that's right, you're still on injured reserve!

Hopefully you'll be ready to ride when things warm up, though with the light winter we've had here and in many places out West, maybe Missoula is already warming up?

I probably have close to forty rides on the Ardent now, over 200 miles for sure, 70 miles in the past two months alone, it is a great tire. Today I rode with my wife, she rides a bike, anyway it was nearly sevent degrees F so the 16psi I've been running over the winter was feeling a little soft, so I gave the tire five pumps and all was good.

I have a Racing Ralph 2.4 you could try, let me know if you're interested, it was a little light for my weight, but it is still a great tire , might work well for 160#.
                    Ardent sounds like the right tire for me. Thanks for the offer on the RR, but I'm only a little lighter than you, and given that I don't ride muni naked very often, I'm definitely over 200# when riding.

Bummer is that we've also had very little snow this year, and I suspect the trails have been rideable the whole time. It's been into the 50's-60's in the day, nice and sunny, perfect riding weather.

Comment

Originally posted by UPD in Utah View Post
                      uniShark,

I've mounted and dismounted the Ardent 29x2.4 on both the XC and Freeride rims and fit is not overly tight. In fact, I was a bit concerned that the fit was so loose that it might be susceptible to snakebite punctures, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. I also have a Dissent 29x2.5 and it's a much tighter fit than the Ardent 29x2.4, but nowhere near as tight a fit as the Duro 24x3 on my N24 -- which absolutely requires metal tire irons.

Speedy healing!

Cheers,
                      Bert
                      Great, thanks for the info. Slightly loose sounds good to me.
                      -James

Comment

Originally posted by UPD in Utah View Post
                        uniShark,

Speedy healing!

Cheers,
                        Bert
                        Follow-up question: How much difference did you feel with the Ardent on the XC vs Freeride rims?

Comment

Follow-up question: How much difference did you feel with the Ardent on the XC vs Freeride rims?
                          It's only 5mm, so just over ten percent smaller, probably not worth spending $100 and the time or money to rebuild the rim, unless of course you're going get a disc hub, in which case "it's just money"

It's will make the profile a little more rounded, so you might notice it crowning worse.

So Bert, could you tell the difference?

Comment

I have to say that on lighter weight tires I do personally feel quite a difference on bumpy singletrack where you're running a slightly lower tire pressure. On the smaller rims (e.g. 24") with a big tire, I even felt a difference between the old 42 mm KH rims (2005 and earlier) versus the 47 mm rims. On the other side, I've tested 50 mm 700c rims (not in production) and didn't feel any difference in stability; just that they were heavier.

Kris

Comment

So Kris, any chance we'll see a fatter 29er tire? I really like the Ardent 2.4 but could use a little more volume for suspension, but not more rubber; I didn't like the Dissent. How does the High Roller 26 x 2.7 feel compared to the Ardent 26 x 2.4?

More tire data:

I added a value which is easy to get without mounting the tire, I'm calling it flat volume (FV) So what I do is spread open the tire and lay it onto a flat surface with the tread facing up, then measure from bead center to bead center across the tire. Works good for comparing across tires...

Notice how fat that Ardent 2.6 is compared to the others!

Just arrived,
                              Ardent 26 x 2.6, 3C, wire bead, 1270gm, FV - 160mm
                              Duro Savage 26 x2.6, Recoil 47a sticky, wire bead, 1470gm, FV - 145mm
                              Arrow Racing 26 x 2.35, SRC 45a sticky, wire bead, 1130gm, FV - 130mm

Older tires for comparo:
                              Intense DH FRO Lite 26 x 2.5, SR 50a sticky, folding, 1470gm, FV - 150mm
                              Racing Ralph, 29 x 2.4, 60a, folding, 530gm, FV - 135mm

I still have the Ardent 2.4 mounted, so no values for now.

Comment

Ardent 29x2.4 on XC v. Freeride

Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                                So Bert, could you tell the difference?
                                Can't say I did, and can't say I didn't. The XC rim was/is laced to a KH Schlumpf hub and I only rode the Ardent/XC rim combo on trails a couple of times before my Josh-built Freeride rim/Nimbus hub wheelset arrived and stole the Ardent away from the XC rim. What I remember most about those trail rides on the Ardent/XC rim combo was the bounce of an over-inflated Ardent, the disquieting play in the geared hub, and worries about Utah dust chewing up the gears of the Schlumpf.

Others (Pete from Oz?) have sworn they could feel a difference between the ride of the same tire (Stout?) on the two different rims, but I'd have to repeat the experiment with the XC rim laced to a fixed hub to say for sure.
                                Last edited by UPD in Utah; 2012-03-13, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X