"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
    Don't get me wrong, sewn together tires can be a vast improvement in ride and weight, but I have yet to have one last over 1000 km. 90% of my problems have been with the joined bead.
    Silly question: if the weak point is at the joined bead, wouldn't some staples + covering them with tape a good way to reinforce this point ?

Not sure if it would make a difference if the stress is lateral to the rim hook but if it is because of the tube pressure against the rim hook, it may make it last a bit more (1700km ? ).
    Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2016-04-13, 05:55 AM.
    => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
    => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• Thanks, Sask.
      I've never made/tried one but would be happy if a superlight 36er Frankentire lasted 500 km or less!

I'm also thinking that because the lack of tread on this tire produces an utterly silent ride on a smooth road, the two joints on a Frankenversion -- depending on how cleanly they were made -- might produce two fairly-obvious thumps per rev. This might ruin the experience for me.
      Last edited by newob; 2016-04-13, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• A website devoted to measuring rolling resistance reviewed the Big One recently, describing it as "insanely fast":

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance....e-big-one-2016

Comment

• Tyre rolling resistance website

Originally posted by newob View Post
          A website devoted to measuring rolling resistance
          Nice website, thanks for the link!

Comment

• You're welcome, Klaas.
            I just took the Big One to the beach and did a super fun, fast, painless ten miles; this tire seems to float on air!

Comment

• Supermoto versus Hookworm

For a road racing 29" tyre, I am trying to decide between two options:
              • Schwalbe Super Moto 29 x 2.35. I heard it is derived from the Big Apple. I always had trouble with crown sensitivity in the Big Apple 29 x 2.35". The Super Moto is really light so it may be as bad on that aspect. I heard good stories about its low rolling resistance though. Can't find the max tyre pressure online. And: does it only exist in 2.35"?
              • Maxxis Hookworm 29 x 2.5. A lot heavier and therefore not very agile. But this is for longer races without much cornering. Once I'm up to speed weight shouldn't bother me. Max pressure seems to be 65 psi.
              Any insights/recommendations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
                • Schwalbe Super Moto 29 x 2.35. I heard it is derived from the Big Apple. I always had trouble with crown sensitivity in the Big Apple 29 x 2.35". The Super Moto is really light so it may be as bad on that aspect. I heard good stories about its low rolling resistance though. Can't find the max tyre pressure online. And: does it only exist in 2.35"?
                • Maxxis Hookworm 29 x 2.5. A lot heavier and therefore not very agile. But this is for longer races without much cornering. Once I'm up to speed weight shouldn't bother me. Max pressure seems to be 65 psi.
                Why choose such wide tires? I ride a Big Apple 2" and don't have trouble with road camber. I'm switching to the Marathon Supreme which is lighter but haven't been able to ride it yet as I'm waiting for a new hub that will go on a light rim.

Comment

• Supermoto versus Hookworm

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
                  Why choose such wide tires?
                  This is for races in the 29" class, such as during Unicon. A wider tyre is also bigger in diameter, and this gives an advantage for racing while still being allowed.

Comment

I have a 26" Hookworm, and find it heavy and sensitive to road camber. Other than that it's an OK tire.
                    "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• Hookworm properties

Originally posted by LanceB View Post
                      I have a 26" Hookworm, and find it heavy and sensitive to road camber. Other than that it's an OK tire.
                      That is not too positive... How wide is the rim you have it on, and what is/was the tyre pressure?
                      Last edited by Klaas Bil; 2016-05-04, 01:14 PM.

Comment

That is not too positive... How wide is the rim you have it on, and what is/was the tyre pressure?
                        OK, now you're asking hard stuff. It's a stock (older) Nimbus rim (I'm at work and can't measure it now), and I think I was running the pressure fairly high then, like around 30psi. Here's a picture of it (that I happen to have on my work computer). It was OK off-road, but would slide in loose stuff. I haven't run that tire for a few years, I have a Maxxis Holy Roller on it now, which I like for mixed street/trail use.
                        Cheers!
                        Attached Files
                        "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• Originally posted by LanceB View Post
                          It's a stock (older) Nimbus rim (I'm at work and can't measure it now), and I think I was running the pressure fairly high then, like around 30psi.
                          It is fun how high/low is high

I have been running a Hookworm around 55psi on the road and it was a pleasure. The tread (or lack of) is making this tire a road tire or hardpack at most.

YMMV
                          => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                          => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• Hookworm properties

Originally posted by LanceB View Post
                            I think I was running the pressure fairly high then, like around 30psi.
                            Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
                            It is fun how high/low is high

I have been running a Hookworm around 55psi on the road and it was a pleasure. The tread (or lack of) is making this tire a road tire or hardpack at most.
                            Indeed, I run my road tyres near the max rated pressure (which is 65 psi for the Hookworm). I think 30 psi is rather low for this tyre, and will have increased road camber sensitivity. A few pages ago the Hookwork was discussed for road use, and generally considered a pleasure. I think I'll spring for that one now that it is available in Europe too.

Thanks for the insights so far. If anyone has to add more, it's welcome.
                            I'll report back when I have some experience on it - remind me if I wouldn't.

Comment

• Racing Ralph 2.35 and Knard 3.0

I've got some experience running these on a 50mm carbon rim (Nextie). Mostly I ride on dry loose surface, plenty of drops (up to about 50cm) , rock gardens, hills and berms but try to keep rolling and avoid hopping too much (it's a 29er!) Tried the Knard 3.0 120TPI both tubed and tubeless. Tubeless was definitely better - it felt lighter and easier to deform over rocks and roots, and I never had a problem with burping. It was painful to set up though - required temporary tape across the tyre - rim interface to keep enough air/co2 in the tyre and a co2 inflator. Unfortunately the tyre blew out (split just above the bead), so that was the end of that. I probably won't get another one because I didn't like the unpredictability when cornering hard - sometimes it would throw me off, and sometimes not.

Next tyre was the new (since 2015?) Racing Ralph HS425 Snakeskin TL Easy 2.35. I ran it from 30psi down to 25 with a tube and it goes great, predictable and not folding or pinch flatting (I'm 85kg). Obviously it doesn't absorb bumps like the Knard, and is not as grippy as the Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic HS463, but is lighter (705gm). It's borderline on grip, but should improve on less dusty terrain (waiting for rain here). I wouldn't run it on a 26er as grip would obviously be less, and I use the 26 on more technical rides. I just converted it to tubeless today, and waiting for some saddle chafing to heal up before I can ride again (hence online now haha). But it inflated with a track pump, no co2, tape, soap and water or anything. Feels like it doesn't even need sealant, but I added some anyway. I think it's perfect for racing - I've been setting segment records on strava even with the tube, and a good choice as long as you are 100% offroad (I think it would wear down pretty quick on asphalt), it's not muddy or too sandy. For an all round 29er I'd probably go the Nobby Nic.

Comment

• 45nrth Nicotine good?

Hi All,

I'm already anticipating winter riding my 29er. Can anyone recommend the 45nrth Nicotine (studded or otherwise)? It sure looks good but looks can be deceiving.

Comment

Working...
                                X