Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwalbe Big One SnakeSkin

Hi everybody,

more on the road-side of the discussion, I received and rode once a new Schwalbe tire

Schwalbe Big One (SnakeSkin)
    • Size: 29x2.35
    • ETRTO: 60-622
    • Official weight: 530g
    • Measured weight: 576g
    • Official max pressure: 3.5 bar (50psi)

I installed it on my 29er (with a KH XC 38mm rim) and pumped it at 4bar (55psi). The shape and look is very similar to the Big Apple 2.35 (see attached pics).

First test ride on the bike path was impressive, it felt like the unicycle was doing the pedaling !!! In anticipation of the weight reduction I changed the cranks from 125mm to 110mm and it felt as easy to ride on flat/up/down.

It did not felt like being softer than the Big Apple despite being really lighter. The ride has been in a flat-ish area and not the usual big loop so longer climbs testing will have to wait next ride. However, the few climbs I did even slowly were easy too.

I passed through a stretch with road crown and it felt slightly more forgiving than the B.A. (even though it was manageable with the B.A. on this same stretch).

It was a pleasure to ride and I can't wait 'till next ride ! I will have to weight the uni for fun. And there's a bonus point to the name: Big One (on a uni !).

Note: I was afraid about the tire's traction because of the dotted tread compared to the city-like B.A. Schwalbe's site says they have the same level of traction even in slippery condition. This ride was good. To be continued when I will go through hardpack and gravel roads...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2016-01-25, 12:15 PM. Reason: Dance page ! Dance !!!
    => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
    => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• nice review. Don't you fear inflating it more than max recommanded pressure?
      - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
      - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
      - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
      - Qu-ax trial 19"
      -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
        nice review. Don't you fear inflating it more than max recommanded pressure?
        I only realized it when writting this quick review
        I will keep an eye on it and maybe will not re-inflate when the pressure will naturally decrease...

Comment

• Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
          I only realized it when writting this quick review
          Thanks Sid for this review, after you published it on the french forum... I went ahead and ordered one! Along with a Foss tube. That should give me a pretty light wheel for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post
            Thanks Sid for this review, after you published it on the french forum... I went ahead and ordered one! Along with a Foss tube. That should give me a pretty light wheel for sure!
            After the hookworm you will fly on it!

As you probably know, I will receive very soon a kh geared muni 26er, maybe will I keep it like it is, but maybe I will upgrade it to a g29er.
            Anyway, the question I will ask is valid both for 26 and 29 tires.

What I'm looking for is something that would gather the good sides of two very different tyres I have:
            -Surly knard 26x3 120 tpi
            -Schwalbe Super moto 29x2.35 (which exists in 26x2.35 as well) in theory very close to the Big One.

What I like with the super moto is its light weight, very good behavior on pavement and roads when inflated enough, it rolls easily.
            But when I inflate it at 30 PSI, it sucks !
            at 55 PSI it rolls very well and fast,not much camber sensitive but it's a rock.
            at about 36-40 PSI it start to be good enough and more comfortable, but we can't really talk about suspension.

What I like with the surly knard inflated to 15 PSI is that I enjoy the hell out of it when I do muni or even some trial stuffs, it has tons of suspension, and doesn't seams very sensitive to the road crown, I can jump on it like I do with my trial 19er, pretty comfortable.
            The downside is that even if it is lightweight for such a big tyre, pedaling on road or city is far to be as easy as the supermoto, because of tyre deformation at such a low PSI, and this tyre is designed to be low inflated anyway.

So What I'm looking for is a lightweight 26/29er tyre that can have a good behavior on dirt but also on sidewalks/road, with some flexibility/suspension, so being able to be not much sensitive to camber while not being much inflated to let me keep the possibility to do some rolling hops, that will be comfortable (not a rock) and of course that will be fine with a Schlumpf hub.

I think the gmuni will arrive with the continental xking 26x2.4 as an extra tire, that, in the paper seams to match what I'm looking for but I will have to test it anyway.
            The good news is that it also exists in 29" not much louder if I pull the trigger for the 29"gmuni option.

Any other Idea?
            - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
            - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
            - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
            - Qu-ax trial 19"
            -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
              After the hookworm you will fly on it!

As you probably know, I will receive very soon a kh geared muni 26er, maybe will
              Yep, it's going to be a big change from 1200g to 550g (and the lighter tube too!)
              We should sell our Hookworm simultaneously, it might interest a biker to get a pair of tires...

Didn't know about you getting a Guni, well done!

Comment

• Thanks for the review, SV.
                I see that this Big One is marketed as a sand tire -- have you taken it onto sand yet?

Comment

• Got the Big One and love it -- very light and fast on the road.
                  50 psi worked well for me, producing speed right at the threshold of my courage level -- even with longish (140) cranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by newob View Post
                    Got the Big One and love it -- very light and fast on the road.
                    50 psi worked well for me, producing speed right at the threshold of my courage level -- even with longish (140) cranks.
                    Hello,
                    This tire should be for sand but you are using for road. It is that good on road? Wear? Traction?

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Juan M View Post
                      Hello,
                      This tire should be for sand but you are using for road. It is that good on road? Wear? Traction?

Cheers
                      Hi,

it is a pleasure to ride it on the road and for now I have no complain about traction either on the pavement or on hardpack bike paths. As for the wear, it is too early to say.

The surface looks like 5-10 shoes with lots of small dots bare protruding

When I was thinking about this tire, I compared the stats provided by Schwalbe and compared it to my only available reference: the Big Apple. The stats are almost as good on all topics (better on grip and worse on durability).
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2016-04-11, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juan M View Post
                        Hello,

Cheers
                        Juan, I've ridden it twice (2 hours) so I can't comment on wear. It has no real tread -- just a little "texture" -- so I won't even try it on wet road, mud, or loose dirt.

Comment

Juan, I've ridden it twice (2 hours) so I can't comment on wear. It has no real tread -- just a little "texture" -- so I won't even try it on wet road, mud, or loose dirt.
                          Turns out that winter weather around here is mostly rain and not all the bike paths are paved.

Wet: on wet pavement I have not noticed any difference in traction or grip. I would not ride it under heavy raining or wet marble but I can say the same for other tires :P

Mud: same as for wet. With a thin layer of mud, it was okay (like with thin gravel). Again, it is a general road tire limitation at a certain level of mud.

Loose dirt: for hardpack with gravel protruding and thin gravel, it is doing good thanks to the big volume. However, I would walk a section with rocks or lots of gravel because you have no tread to grip in those conditions.

In short: you can/cannot do whatever another road tire (Big Apple, Marathon Supreme, Grifter, SuperMoto) can/cannot do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
                            Turns out that winter weather around here is mostly rain and not all the bike paths are paved.

Wet: on wet pavement I have not noticed any difference in traction or grip. I would not ride it under heavy raining or wet marble but I can say the same for other tires :P

Mud: same as for wet. With a thin layer of mud, it was okay (like with thin gravel). Again, it is a general road tire limitation at a certain level of mud.

Loose dirt: for hardpack with gravel protruding and thin gravel, it is doing good thanks to the big volume. However, I would walk a section with rocks or lots of gravel because you have no tread to grip in those conditions.

In short: you can/cannot do whatever another road tire (Big Apple, Marathon Supreme, Grifter, SuperMoto) can/cannot do.
                            Many thanks Sidd
                            Very good review

Comment

• +1, thanks SV

Calling all Frankentire makers! The Big One is so light, could two be used to make 36er tire, or would the thin sidewalls prevent this?

Comment

+1, thanks SV

Calling all Frankentire makers! The Big One is so light, could two be used to make 36er tire, or would the thin sidewalls prevent this?
                                It should would work as well as any tire. The main concern is whether or not you can peel the tread off for the overlap, most tires you can but I haven't tried with a schwalbe tire.

I am not really happy with the frankentires I have made with the sew two together method. My next tire will likely be a full fabrication for my 32.

Don't get me wrong, sewn together tires can be a vast improvement in ride and weight, but I have yet to have one last over 1000 km. 90% of my problems have been with the joined bead.
                                My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

Working...
                                X