No announcement yet.

"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for the sake of tech info and visuals, here is the tire's page on Rubena website:

http://www.rubenatires.com/v99-cityhopper/
    Attached Files
    => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
    => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• Is there any pink 29" road tire, around 2" to 2.3" width ?
      http://monocycle.info
      http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
      CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
      my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
        Just for the sake of tech info and visuals, here is the tire's website:
        Yup; thanks. Anybody think it odd that all of the resellers and even the manufacturer have only obvious CGI images of the tires and no actual photographs? At least that was the case when I was shopping. The tread is every bit as thin as it looks in that depiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by ldlux View Post
          Anybody think it odd that all of the resellers and even the manufacturer have only obvious CGI images of the tires and no actual photographs?
          Yes, I had the same reaction: wtf? CG must be easier, faster, cheaper than taking an actual photograph of the actual tire. A poor decision in my view.

Comment

• I just mounted some 29 x 3" Dirt Wizards on a tandem, they are a very burly tire, set up well tubeless, and they seem to be constructed a little more burly than their 26" cousin (2.75).

Compared the 29" Knard, this is a super burly dirt gobbler!

Mine measure 960/1004 gms.

They are about 1/2" taller than a 29 x 2.4 Ardent.

It's a lot of tire, but if roll big wheels then this is one worth looking at.
            I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Dirt Wizard

Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
              I just mounted some 29 x 3" Dirt Wizards on a tandem, ...
              Hey Ben -
              Where did you find the DW 29x3.0? I've searched all over and every place is "out of stock". My LBS says QBP can't get it either

The 26 inch version is plentiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by haskinsc View Post
                Hey Ben -
                Where did you find the DW 29x3.0? I've searched all over and every place is "out of stock". My LBS says QBP can't get it either

The 26 inch version is plentiful.
                Nevermind ... my LBS GermantownCycles can now get the 29x3.0 120tpi. I've already ordered it

Comment

• Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you, I'm not on the forum often.

I found two on line, AE bike I think, anyways it's a great tire, such an incredible improvement over the Knard. My DW 29 x 3 weigh right at 1000gm each. I run them tubeless, they are a great tire for technical riding!

There are some other awesome 29+ tires coming down the pike, I'm holding out for something a little lighter and faster than the DW for my muni.
                  I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Originally posted by haskinsc View Post
                    Nevermind ... my LBS GermantownCycles can now get the 29x3.0 120tpi. I've already ordered it
                    Now that I have some muni-miles on it I can say I really like it. Setup: Dirt Wizard 29x3 120tpi on 50mm Rabbit Hole and Surly 29x3 tube. Tread is far more aggressive than the Knard. It measures an honest 3 inches on a 50mm Rabbit Hole. The casing seems to be not quite as flimsy as the Knard but hard to tell. Grips very well. I like it!!

Comment

• Maxxis Grifter 29"

Was browsing aimlessly on the web, my favorite insomnia activity...
                      And I came across that:
                      Maxxis Grifter 29"

Love that tire on my 20", anyone tried it on a road/urban 29" uni? In 2.50, it's about 880g, which is pretty light (something like 30% lighter than a Hookworm). Combined with a Foss tube, that could make for a very light town uni.

Any experience out there?

Comment

• There is one guy on the French forum that has one (toutestbon I think). Seems to be in the usual road category.

I noticed the Schwalbe Big One that is crazy lightweight for the 29x2.35 size (440g in light and 530g in SnakeSkin).

Maybe a good alternative for all the Marathon Supreme lovers?
                        => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                        => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• BA 29x2.0 Supermoto 29x2.35 Hookworm 26x2.5

My Nimbus 29road was delivered about one month ago with a Big Apple 29x2.0
                          The first two weeks I rode 3 times 8, 16, and 30km but developed a ITB syndrome I have been struggling with since (nothing to do with the tyre).
                          The BA2.0 is the less sensible to road crown tyre I ever rode.
                          It feels very thin and easy to ride.
                          It is more a 28" tyre than a 29"

I recently bought a Schwalbe Supermoto 29x2.35.
                          As I am working on finding and testing solutions to my ITB tendinitis I recently managed to ride 10km and then 20km with this tyre.
                          The tyre is super light coupled to a foss tube, I can run pretty fast with it and never feel any tiredness.
                          Apart from the ITB issue, I feel I could ride 50km easily.

Before that I rode a 26x2.5 maxxis hookworm tyre and pretty much appreciated it despite it was much louder than those two 29er tyre, maybe because of the inertia and first of all because this is an excellent tyre.
                          I like to feel a certain resistant force under my feet but not as much as my qu-ax 36er (just ordered a lighter tyre and tube for the 36).
                          I am speaking of inertia resistance, not about the resistance from the tyre on the ground. both supermoto, BA2.0 and hookworm 26x2.5 have little resistance to the ground when well inflated.

The supermoto is great for long distance on roads, maybe the greater road tyre ever, I don't know yet how it feels in urban rides but I presume it also is a very good commuter for those who want to run easily without sweeting much.
                          I have to test it on urban conditions to complete my point of view.
                          the tyre is easy on road crown too.
                          I just miss something I felt on my 26er that, as I said, can be linked to a certain amount of inertia that I need to feel good and that I absolutely don't feel in the supermoto.

So I ordered a Hoowkorm 29x2.5 because it was cheap and in stock but I
                          don't plan to remove the supermoto for now.
                          - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
                          - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
                          - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
                          - Qu-ax trial 19"
                          -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                            Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you, I'm not on the forum often.

I found two on line, AE bike I think, anyways it's a great tire, such an incredible improvement over the Knard. My DW 29 x 3 weigh right at 1000gm each. I run them tubeless, they are a great tire for technical riding!

There are some other awesome 29+ tires coming down the pike, I'm holding out for something a little lighter and faster than the DW for my muni.
                            Have you tried Muni with the 29" DW?
                            Last edited by fugsworth; 2015-12-14, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Fattest mUni tire for 2013 KH29 disc mount frame

Maxxis Ardent 2.25" was standard when I bought my KH29 in 2013 the year Kris released his first disc mount frames. It was showing wear about the time Schwalbe dropped the Hans Dampf 2.35" which I also love. Now the 2015 KH frame can run a 3" Surly Knard. I want one. Bad. My daughter's inseam is just now tall enough to hand her 26er Oracle down to her brother and take over my KH29 which suits her well as it is really (like unbelievably) light whereas her brother is burly enough to tractor thru on his Duro. But this all got me wondering. What is the fattest mUni tire my 2013 KH29 can handle? I've hard the Knard may be a no-go but what about the Dirt Wizard?
                              My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

• Surly Knard 29x3 120tpi

My Knard review is really more of a comparison with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf on my daughter's recently inherited 2013 KH29. I'm running a lightweight FOSS tube despite the warnings about it's use with the drilled out ovalised holes in her 47.2mm KH Freeride rim. It has held up fine for 2 years. The FOSS/HD/Spirit combo make for an insanely lightweight 29er mUni.
                                The Surly Knard 29x3 120tpi and 3" Surly tube in my new 2015 KH29 is noticeably heavier more in line with the Wildlife Duro recently replaced with a Maxxis Highroller on my son's 26er Oracle. Certainly feels heavier pushing it but not so noticeable riding it. I'm 5'10" 159 lbs. running the Knard at 14 psi. It does roll easily over bumps like rocks and roots so you don't have to carve through like you did with the HD. That I like. I also enjoyed floating over snow powder. I'll give it two thumbs up for now but I can't help think, once the trails dry out, I might be missing my HD. One thing is for certain, I'm never clawing it back from her. I'd have to get another.
                                My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X