"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mbalmer View Post
    This is still my favorite tire for my KH29. No off-road camber problems at all. I wish they made one for the 36".

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...upreme-29-inch
    Yep, you're not the first one mentioning that tire for a road 29". I have a Hookworm now, and it's off the uni until I feel more confident, can't just keep buying tires that end up in the garage...

Comment

• I put the Hookworm on my 24" Muni with the Dominator 2 rim yesterday and rode it a few miles today. I didn't have the same camber related issues that I do with my Big Apple 50c on the 29er. It was slightly harder to keep straight but nothing I couldn't handle. I would say it's not quite as nimble as my 24" Sun which I believe has a Kenda Khan tire with 32mm rim.

Yesterday I rode in a loop around the streets on my 29er trying to get some ideas about camber. It's about three miles on the side of a hill with about a 3-4% grade. When I ride west on the street across the hill I fight camber nearly the whole way. When I ride east on the same streets I have absolutely no problems. There is a slight hump on each side of the street so that rain water collects in the drains but nothing too severe. It's really odd that I'd have such a hard time when there really isn't that much slope to the hill.

I'm thinking of giving the Marathon a try but it's hard to believe it will be much different than the Big Apple. A bit lighter perhaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
        Thank you SV for the elaborate review. With pierrox, I'm curious to know more about the response on cambered roads. Most other aspects you reviewed seem to be similar to the Big Apple tyres, which as we know are not good at handling camber.

As to the grip, the tyre has these wide but shallow grooves, and the "grating" profile in between. Especially the latter seems prone to wearing away in the middle, leaving you with a super slick running surface. I wonder that that will do with grip, and with running properties in general. I realise that it's too early to tell though, just wondering.
        The road I take during my commute isn't perfectly flat all the way and I had not once to fight the wheel. There's a road in my neighbourhood that I remember riding sideways because of the lateral slope. I will try it with the hookworm and post an update.

As for the tire wear, it isn't too early to tell. This tire has been available in 24 and 26 like forever and it was a popular tire. There is plenty of feedback on it in this forum (and even earlier in this thread) and the common point is: it lasts!
        => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
        => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

I'm thinking of giving the Marathon a try but it's hard to believe it will be much different than the Big Apple. A bit lighter perhaps.
          I've never experienced the Big Apple so I can't compare. I only know that the Marathon is not the problem my others are. It's not a problem at all. The Oregon fat tire is the WORST for camber, on or off road. Right now I'm on a 3 wheeled knee scooter for a broken foot (yep, an unfortunate unicycle incident). It's an all terrain scooter which is a blast to hike with. It is really hard on the off camber trails. I've taken some good tumbles, but it's so fun. The podiatrist gave me a scolding. I really miss my unicycles and bicycles though.

Comment

• Second round

I had a couple more commutes with the hookworm in wet or dry pavement with a generous amount of sand on the side of the road : no problem whatsoever.

For the camber, I am crossing a street going downhill and there is no problem. I am still due to go to the road that is angled one side to see if I ride as much sideways as with the previous tire.

One big thing I noticed : like the previous tire, pressure is key to its behaviour. Once, it felt not as great as the previous rides. I checked the pressure and it was down to slight under 50psi / 3.3bar. As soon as I pumped it back to 60psi / 4bar, it was great (nimble and predictable). Nothing really specific but useful to remember

Comment

• Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
              As soon as I pumped it back to 60psi / 4bar, it was great
              That's a lot of pressure! Don't you get thrown off by the slightest pebble/bump/hole on the road with that pressure?
              Also, what kind of rim do you have? Would a drilled KH happy with that pressure?

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                That's a lot of pressure! Don't you get thrown off by the slightest pebble/bump/hole on the road with that pressure?
                At this pressure both the Exiwolf & the Hookworm are fine. With all the bumps & holes on the road after a winter of snowplowing, it is funny to ride the roads here

I am not that heavy (65 kg / 143 lbs) and still it makes for a nice ride. When I hit a bump or a hole, I usually adjust like you would do off-road and the tire does the rest by absorbing. It is surprising for the very first ride but I quickly realised that I gained a lot of predictability and rolling speed while not sacrificing much in comfort.

Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                Also, what kind of rim do you have? Would a drilled KH happy with that pressure?
                My rim is the KH XC (the one without the drillings). It is about 10mm narrower than the current KH freeride rim with the holes. I don't think 60psi / 4bar is too much. Of course, it is way more than muni/MTB pressures but still way less than road bikes pressures (1bar per 10kg so 6.5bar for me ). And the tire is given for a max pressure of 65psi on the sidewall so even Maxxis is okay with this pressure .

For sure, a wider rim will make for a slightly different tire shape (wider contact patch) but the pressure prevents over-deformation. As usual: give it a try and you will see. It cannot be worse than your last attempt
                Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2015-03-15, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbalmer View Post
                  Yep. It's can be up to 65 psi, but I keep it around 55. I have the wider rim.
                  I've had the 2" Marathon Supreme blow off my KH XC 38 mm rim (tyre pressure being within specs). I've heard from a reliable source that KH rims and Schwalbe tyres are often not a happy marriage, and that divorce (as in the tyre blowing off the rim) has occurred with several riders. What I heard is that the KH rims don't have much of a 'hook' to grab the tyre bead, and perhaps the Schwalbe tyres are slightly on the large side. Not a good combo. The Dominator2 rim seems to be better suited to this and other Schwalbe tyres. I haven't really tried that out though.
                  Last edited by Klaas Bil; 2015-03-16, 01:55 PM. Reason: reworded to remove ()

Comment

I've had the 2" Marathon Supreme blow off my KH XC 38 mm rim (tyre pressure being within specs). I've heard from a reliable source that KH rims and Schwalbe tyres are often not a happy marriage, and that divorce (as in the tyre blowing off the rim) has occurred with several riders. What I heard is that the KH rims don't have much of a 'hook' to grab the tyre bead, and perhaps the Schwalbe tyres are slightly on the large side. Not a good combo. The Dominator2 rim seems to be better suited to this and other Schwalbe tyres. I haven't really tried that out though.
                    I had this happen when I had it up to 65psi. I keep it at 55 and no problem.

Comment

I've had the 2" Marathon Supreme blow off my KH XC 38 mm rim (tyre pressure being within specs). I've heard from a reliable source that KH rims and Schwalbe tyres are often not a happy marriage
                      Fortunately, the Hookworm is a bigger volume tire (2.5) making for a better contact angle between the sidewall & hook section of the rim.

And maybe Maxxis is more generous with their bead than Schwalbe is (the Hookworm has big sidewalls that also should make a more stable "grab" than thinner ones on lightweight tires).

I will let you know if I start flying

I have been running the WTB Exiwolf 29x2.3 @ 60psi for 2 years all year long and never got any blow out of the rim.

Comment

Fortunately, the Hookworm is a bigger volume tire (2.5) making for a better contact angle between the sidewall & hook section of the rim.

And maybe Maxxis is more generous with their bead than Schwalbe is (the Hookworm has big sidewalls that also should make a more stable "grab" than thinner ones on lightweight tires).

I will let you know if I start flying

I have been running the WTB Exiwolf 29x2.3 @ 60psi for 2 years all year long and never got any blow out of the rim.
                        I should clarify that my tire blew out while it was hanging up. It didn't happen while I was riding. Good thing too, or I may have had to head home to change my shorts .

Comment

• I've actually had several tyre blow-offs off of the same KH XC rim. All of them were Schwalbe Marathon tyres. And all of them happened while riding, one of them in the 100km race at Unicon 2012. That was a real bummer, and a BOOMer too

Comment

I had a couple more commutes with the hookworm in wet or dry pavement with a generous amount of sand on the side of the road : no problem whatsoever.
                            Still happy about it several weeks later?

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                              Still happy about it several weeks later?
                              Hi Pierrox,

I used it again this morning to go to work and I am a happy camper (even happier now that the temperature are around 5*C/41*F at 7am ).

I may be easy to please but I find it a nice improvement over the previous tires and nothing to complain about. I am more working on my seating posture these days to use more the seating bones and ease the pressure on the tighs/hips inner junction

If you end up in the area, you are more than welcomed to stop by and test

Comment

• Rubena V99 City Hopper

I had one of these on my uni, so I am now in a position to comment on it.

My previous tire was the 1.75" Innova road tire that came on my Trainer 29. It was nimble, but it only lasted 10 months or so. Yes, I rotate my tires. I was trying to get something that would last me at least a year. There wasn't a lot of information to be had about the Rubena tire (in English, at least; it is a Czech brand), but the one mention of durability that I had found was encouraging. Rubena is apparently a well respected brand in places where it is common.

I also wanted to try a larger volume tire, but not so large as to overwhelm my rim, which is only 25mm or so wide. This tire is 2.0" or 52mm. I tried to get the regular version of the tire, but it was sold out at the time, so I got the version with puncture protection. I use a separate tire liner. I was reluctant to spend the big bucks on a known quality tire (ex: Big Apple, Marathon Supreme), since I tend to acquire lots of cuts from road debris.

Putting the tire on was a bit fiddly, and I almost had it blow off. I noticed the bulging before getting up to pressure. I did get it on, but it required more attention to getting the bead set just right than my other tires have. Once on, I had no more trouble with that. I've had it off and on since then (tire rotation, tube replacement, etc.) and knew to concentrate on that with this tire in particular.

The tire rode beautifully. Very smooth, nice grip on normal road surfaces, as cushy or stiff as I wanted it to be. I don't weigh my tires, but it did feel appreciably heavier (whilst riding) than my previous tire. Not as nimble. More for cruising than for making tight turns. I got used to it and didn't mind the weight. It was as hopeless on mud as any other slick road tire, which isn't unexpected.

Now for the disappointing part. Wear. It wore very quickly. In just a few months (seriously, like 1-2), the center of the tread was becoming bald. Already, the anti-puncture belt was starting to become visible. I don't actually know how such tires are fabricated, but it looked like there was molding flash (raised ridge in the center) on the belt which wasn't trimmed properly and the tread surface was put down over it, if that makes any sense. At that ridge, the tread would have been very thin. I don't know how it wasn't visible in the recessed parts of the tread. Maybe it was, but I just wasn't looking for it.

I rode it that way. I didn't notice any handling problems due to the exposed belt. It didn't seem to wear appreciably more (or less) quickly than the black rubber. unsurprisingly, as the tire wore further, the irregular pink stripe became wider. I expected to start seeing black again before threads, but there is one spot where a small chunk of the pink foam is missing and I see a single thread.

The tire was new last August and I replaced it a few weeks ago. I was going to ride it until I properly saw threads, but I had my first group ride coming up as the only unicyclist among bicyclists and didn't want to have to explain it or to have a mechanical problem attributable to it.

In summary, the tire rode well, but it wore quickly.
                                Last edited by ldlux; 2015-05-21, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X