"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aracer View Post
    Though on reading through some reviews just now, I found one from somebody local I know - who actually wasn't all that keen so presumably isn't using them any more. Shall have to see if he still has one I can borrow...
    The follow up to which is that he's already given away the Smorgasbords but offered to lend me one of the following from his tyre collection instead:
    WTB Stout 2.3
    WTB Werewolf 2.55
    RR 2.4
    Maxxis Ignitor
    SB8

- his suggestion is that the Ignitor is the best 29er tyre available (which does make me wonder why it's in his spares bin ), but clearly it's a bit narrower than some of the others - and I couldn't find a single review of it on here. So which of those should I take him up on?
    Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

• If he says the the Ignitor is the best I would see if it really is.
      My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

Comment

• I switched from a Stout to an Ardent some months back. The Stout is slower and more prone to folding over than the Ardent. It's a pretty mediocre tire. If I were you I'd try one of the others. I hear the RR 2.4 is good.

Comment

• If he's letting you borrow one, why not just try them all?
          My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

Comment

• Originally posted by muni123 View Post
            If he's letting you borrow one, why not just try them all?
            Well there is that I suppose, but for me this is just trying out 29er muni, so I don't want to spend all my time swapping tyres, and nor will it necessarily help much. There is an argument for the RR 2.4 on the basis that I've used one of those on my 26er, so it would be a fairly direct comparison (and I still have the 26" one in my garage so could put it back on for a back-to-back comparison, well nearly back-to-back as I only have one set of 150 cranks so will be sharing those!) I didn't really like the RR that much when I had it on as it seemed rather soft and the minimal tread is also likely to be non-ideal in our current conditions - that was a while ago though and my riding has advanced a huge amount, so they may not be the issues they were.

Comment

• Originally posted by aracer View Post
              WTB Werewolf 2.55
              That should read Weirwolf. I've got one of these on my 29er and would use again. I find it holds a line really well even at reasonably low psi, it seems light (don't know the weight, though), and works very well on and off road (pump a few more pounds in and it rolls very nicely and quickly on the cycle path). I have NOT used it much in very muddy conditions, however, and I've found it needs a good, thick tube to prevent flats and fold over. I had several punctures until I used a 26x3 DH tube! With that though it's great.

I don't think the 2.55 is available any longer, and the tread has been redesigned, but the 2.5 looks interesting and is probably actually bigger than the LT 2.55 - if they're measuring them properly these days...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=78238

Edit: Ah, it looks like they're NOT measuring them properly these days, if the review at that link is accurate. They like the tyre, but point out that it's not as big as advertised.
              Last edited by jrwi; 2012-11-13, 12:04 AM.
              Twitter: @jrwi

"I do very little to ride, no bounce, no flick, no jump. For me it is the quintessential nature of long-distance riding"
              - Monocyclism, 3/8/16

Comment

• Quote:
                Originally Posted by aracer

WTB Stout 2.3
                WTB Werewolf 2.55
                RR 2.4
                Maxxis Ignitor
                SB8
                A couple years back I did a binge on tires, ordered the fattest 29er tires I could find, and in the end it was the Ardent that stood out. I never tried the High Roller, which shares casings with the Arcent, it has a solid knobby edge versus the zig zag knobby edge of the Ardent. It might be worth trying if you can get it cheap. The Advantage is another one worth checking out, just make sure you get the EXO casing.

So here's my take on those tire choices:
                The Stout is everything but (read as not stout) thin walled, not a true 2.3, more like a 2.1, I never liked the Stout, it was edgy and too low in volume.
                The Weirwolf is not even close to a 2.55, though wider than a Stout, still more like a 2.25, the sidewall is similar to a Stout, I sold mine after one ride, it was not all that great, a typical WTB tire: read as inexpensive, low tech build.
                The Ignitor is thin walled, might work for a bike, but it's too wimpy for a unicycle
                The SB8 is popular with some uni riders, I have one hanging on my rack that I picked up yesterday as a freebie, tread is very thin so hardpack use only
                The RR 2.4 is a great tire, but it needs pressure to keep from folding, very fast, very light, not very durable, not good in the wet.

Too bad he sold the Smorgasborg.

If you want a slightly narrower tire that is robust, consider the Ardent 29 x 2.25 with the EXO casing, it's the same tread as the 2.4, lighter, more durable, nice tire if you don't want the fattest tire.

Of those tires, the lightest and fastest is the RR 2.4, maybe try the Weirwolf. There is a wire bead version of the Hans Dampf, it's the Pacestar rubber, a tad heavier than the Kevlar bead, but still a grea tire, and less expensive.

Considering where you live, the only tires on the list worth riding in wet terrain, mud and crud, is the LT2.55, the Ardent, the High Roller, the Advantage and the Hans Dampf. There are some Conti tires popular with some uni riders, like the Mud King, but I didn't find much love for contis when I rode a free Mountain King last year; too slippery.

Maybe there are some Bontrager and Spcialized tires worth trying, but choosing a tire is such a shot in the dark, Esp with all the reviews from bikers being unhelpful for the most part.

Can someone loan you an Ardent to try?
                Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-11-13, 01:36 AM.
                I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• FWIW, and despite what some people seem to think of WTB tyres, I've been using a WTB Prowler 2.1 on my 29er for the last year or so. I used to use a RR 2.4, which is excellent as long as it's not muddy (and you're careful of sharp rocks), but I put the Prowler on for a bit more grip in the mud and I find it really good, so much so that I haven't bothered putting the RR back on yet. My 29er riding isn't "proper" hardcore muni, but mixed xc with a fair bit of rocky stuff, and for that I don't miss the extra volume of the RR. The Prowler is slightly heavier than the Ralph, but not much, and certainly grips much better in mud - the only thing the RR was noticeably better for IMO is grip on dry rocks, and slightly better comfort. I tend to run mine at 25ish psi though, not single figures like Nurse Ben does, so I don't need a tractor tube in it to prevent pinch flats

I bought the Prowler because I wanted something narrower with more mud clearance for a muddy Mayhem a couple of years ago, but I actually find it to be a very good all-round xc tyre.
                  Last edited by rob.northcott; 2012-11-13, 10:34 AM.
                  "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

• Well after a fair few months on Hans he is constantly amazing me at the level of grip and comfort at 18 psi and even good road manners.

What has really impressed mi the snake skin sidewalls, I raid in a coastal hill range that is all chalk and flint, part of the trials are just lots of loose flint that is all broken up with razor sharp edges and I have lost many a tyre over the years

Had a quick look at Hans and had it not been for the snake skin layer I would be down 5 tyres!

I was going to get a Knard but it would be dead on the first ride I think
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I like the Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4" tire that came standard (stock) on my KH29 (newer {June 2012} frame with outboard disc brake) but I'm itching to try something different.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the yet to be released Surly Knard 29 x 3" tire will not fit in my KH29 frame. Correct?

I'm hearing great things about the Hans Dampf from Schwalbe but I'm wondering if they will be releasing a Super Gravity (SG) model in the 29" size in 2013. Assuming they will not: I've read enough to know I want the PaceStar version is probably better suited to my "hardback with lots of rocks and roots" style of riding and the PaceStar is probably going to hold up better than the TrailStar. Both are SnakeSkin and both are "TL ready" which I'm assuming means TubeLess not that it would matter to me as my KH 47mm drilled rim is not "TL ready".

So, which tire should I get? I'm in no big hurry (still like my Ardent) if something newer is coming down the pipe, I'll wait. Oh, and price is no object. Weight is. How my KH29 is still lighter than my 26" Oracle (Maxxis HighRoller) is a mystery to me. But, it is not something I wish to change. I love it light!
                      Last edited by DavidHood; 2012-12-08, 11:28 PM.
                      My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
                        I'm hearing great things about the Hans Dampf from Schwalbe but I'm wondering if they will be releasing a Super Gravity (SG) model in the 29" size in 2013.
                        According to http://reviews.mtbr.com/schwalbe-mtb-2013 they will.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
                          I like the Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4" tire that came standard (stock) on my KH29 (newer {June 2012} frame with outboard disc brake) but I'm itching to try something different.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the yet to be released Surly Knard 29 x 3" tire will not fit in my KH29 frame. Correct?

I'm hearing great things about the Hans Dampf from Schwalbe but I'm wondering if they will be releasing a Super Gravity (SG) model in the 29" size in 2013. Assuming they will not: I've read enough to know I want the PaceStar version is probably better suited to my "hardback with lots of rocks and roots" style of riding and the PaceStar is probably going to hold up better than the TrailStar. Both are SnakeSkin and both are "TL ready" which I'm assuming means TubeLess not that it would matter to me as my KH 47mm drilled rim is not "TL ready".

So, which tire should I get? I'm in no big hurry (still like my Ardent) if something newer is coming down the pipe, I'll wait. Oh, and price is no object. Weight is. How my KH29 is still lighter than my 26" Oracle (Maxxis HighRoller) is a mystery to me. But, it is not something I wish to change. I love it light!
                          Hans is great in either compound I have the trailstar and even after hundreds of miles on and off road there is no sign of wear so I wouldn't worry about that too much

The Knard will fit but is to close to deal with any mud so unless you ride dusty dry trials it is not really an option, no to mention they are not out yet either.

I say give a standard Hans a try as I am note sue the extra snake skin warrant the extra money and 200g in weight as the normal ones is so good

Comment

• I've read enough to know I want the PaceStar version is probably better suited to my "hardback with lots of rocks and roots" style of riding and the PaceStar is probably going to hold up better than the TrailStar.
                            David, don't be frightened off by Feisty's pictures of the sidewall wear on his Hans Dampf, that is at the far extreme of tire abuse. Flint is very hard and sharp, think arrow heads and prehistoric cutting tools, so not what you will encounter anywhere around here. I have many hours on my Hans, low pressure and high pressure, and I have no noticeable wear on the sidewalls or knobbies.

Hans is a great tire, can't really think of any way to make it better, maybe the SG would be an improvement if the casing design alllows lower pressures, but otherwise I don't know that the extra weight and cost will be worth the expense. Don't wait, if cost is not an issue, get one one sale and enjoy it all winter

My next tire is the 29 x 3" Knard, which does require a wider frame than the KH, so Oregon, custom, or the 29" Oracle (once crown height is revised, Spring 2013??)
                            Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-12-10, 05:07 PM.
                            I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                              David, don't be frightened off by Feisty's pictures of the sidewall wear on his Hans Dampf, that is at the far extreme of tire abuse. Flint is very hard and sharp, think arrow heads and prehistoric cutting tools, so not what you will encounter anywhere around here. I have many hours on my Hans, low pressure and high pressure, and I have no noticeable wear on the sidewalls or knobbies.

Hans is a great tire, can't really think of any way to make it better, maybe the SG would be an improvement if the casing design alllows lower pressures, but otherwise I don't know that the extra weight and cost will be worth the expense. Don't wait, if cost is not an issue, get one one sale and enjoy it all winter

My next tire is the 29 x 3" Knard, which does require a wider frame than the KH, so Oregon, custom, or the 29" Oracle (once crown height is revised, Spring 2013??)
                              Yeah I ride on nasty stuff and any tire will suffer that damage, those pictures show how good the Hans Dampf is for surviving the knife edge flint, I don't think the Pacestar compound would fair any better.

I ride a thinner rim than most and even with 18 psi the tyre tracks straight and absorbs the rough stuff superbly.

Get one now

Comment

• I've got one myself. It's a great tire... the main difference between it and what I was riding on before is that the Hans is very responsive to turning. It also doesn't ride like a knobby on pavement, it feels a lot smoother.

I was hoping that it would help combat my pinch flat situation, but it's just as bad as my previous tire. With respect to pinch flats I think the KH rim may be too wide for anything less that a 3" wide tire.
                                I'm different, yeah I'm different. I'm different, yeah I'm different. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X