Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, the Kodiak and/or Dissent can still be found in a few places:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=93056

My Kodiak can be found in my basement. It really is the closest thing to a full on muni tire for a 29" wheel in terms of cush and I never had a problem with how it rode but it's overkill for my riding.

Comment

• Originally posted by davidp View Post
      Yeah, the Kodiak and/or Dissent can still be found in a few places:
      http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=93056
      "Availability: No Longer Available" If you're interested in parting with your used Kodiak (assuming reasonable condition) for monetary compensation, PM me.

I sourced a Dissent elsewhere; hopefully the website wasn't lying about stock.
      Less talking, more riding

Comment

• WTB Dissent and Kodiak are discontinued for a number of reasons: They are heavy, stiff, suffer on cambered trails, have terrible ride characteristics, and are of marginal quality.

The Kodiak was commissioned for a 29er MTB Brand, so it was a one run tire. I had one briefly, it may have been the worst tire I have ever ridden, terrible on camber, literally wore me out trying to keep it from turning into the hill on single track, and it was all over the place on flat trails.

The Dissent was a meh tire, didn't do anything well, had camber issues like the Kodiak, very heavy for what it is, no better than any other WTB tire. There are better "cheap" tires out there, but if you're going to spend money on a new tire, and you only have to buy one tire compared to two for a bike, it behooves you to buy a good one the first time round.

You can get a Hans Dampf Pacestar 29 x 2.35 for $67.50 at Cambria.

You can get an Ardent 29 x 2.4 for $52 at Cambria.

The seat and tire are the most important components for quality of riding, so treat yourself right.
        Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-10-27, 01:59 PM.
        I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• @Entropy:

I have a Dissent that I picked up from Munimag. I can send it to you for $20 plus shipping if you want it, not sure that I'll ever use it, I was keeping it for posterity...

If you want a Kodiak, I sent mine to a uni rider in Maine, can't remember the name...

You could also advertise on MTBR, there are certainly a bunch of Kodiaks lying around as new take offs; they were not popular with bikers.

For the riding you describe; high pressure to avoid sidewall collapse, I think you'd be happy with the Hans Dampf. I ride mine at lower pressures, 18-20psi and I weigh 200#, it doesn't fold unless I really get on it, but in terms of sidewall stiffness it is on par with a Dissent, so at higher pressures it would be a good tire for you, it also has agressive tread that works well for mud and it grips rock like mad.

You can get a wire bead for less, might even have a stiffer sidewall...
          Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-10-27, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Say what you want about the Dissent. It's been the BEST 29er tire around here for the conditions we have (mud, roots, and rocks). It is heavy, but I've had no problem racing it for 2 years. I've done over a dozen MTB races, most in the 10+ mile category, and don't finish last against the bikes.

I don't have camber problems with it. I run it around 16-22 psi depending on conditions. I've had far worse camber problems with the Large Marge/ Larry or Nate combo on the 26".

It can be overkill for some conditions. Max traded me a Dissent for my Stout as we both didn't like the tires we had and they didn't work for our conditions. Please don't take any one person's word for gospel. Mine neither.

Don't totally diss the Dissent.
            dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

• Entropy wants my Dissent, so more power to ya!

Better stock up on the Dissent, it is probably going the way of the dinosaurs real soon.

Don't totally diss the Dissent.
              Josh at UDC likes the Dissent too, so now there are three of you

BTW, the Hans Dampf weighs half as much as the Dissent

Comment

• Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                BTW, the Hans Dampf weighs half as much as the Dissent
                I need twice the tire, not half
                Less talking, more riding

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  I need twice the tire, not half
                  Hans Dampf Super Gravity then only 150 gish heavier than a standard hans but more plys and snake bit proof and snakeskin over the entire carcass.

Looks like an awesome DH tyre with freeride weight

Comment

• I really like the versatility of the 28" x 2.0" Schwalbe Marathon Dureme (29er). I do a significant amount of urban riding so I can appreciate that the Marathon Dureme rolls smooth and fast on asphalt but still grips well on light off-road terrain. I had a tough time finding this tire but I'm glad that I did. The reflective sidewall on this tire also comes in handy when riding at night.

Comment

• Hans Dampf Super Gravity then only 150 gish heavier than a standard hans but more plys and snake bit proof and snakeskin over the entire carcass.

Looks like an awesome DH tyre with freeride weight
                      Yup, but it looks like the 29er version is not forthcoming "yet", so keep your fingers crossed.

I'm really looking forward to riding the Knard, Josh had great things to say about it, so much so that he's guiding the Oracle frame design to accomodate that tire.

Sometimes a stiffer sidewall is not better, this is what I learned from comparing tires last year. DH mountain bikers have taken the same line, getting better made tires with higher TPI and composite designs versus the old school heavy rubber and wire bead.

Maybe the Surly way of thinking can transfer to other tire sizes, like a 26 x 3"?

Comment

Maybe the Surly way of thinking can transfer to other tire sizes, like a 26 x 3"?
                        If only the guys at Surly can hear you. I would die for a 26x3.0 tire that is more than half the weight of the Duro (and still behaving decently under difficult conditions...).
                        => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                        => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• Forte Tsali

Has anyone tried a Forte Tsali 29 x 2.2? From my short experience in Muni, it looks promising.

Comment

• There's a review of 29er tyres in the latest issue of the MTB mag I get. Some tyres in there I don't think I've ever seen mentioned on here. Taking a Schwalbe HD as the baseline, they have that listed at 870g, 58mm width. Others with similar dimensions are:
                            Kenda Nevegal 2.2, 950g 58mm
                            Maxxis Ardent 2.4, 870g 59mm
                            On-One Smorgasbord 2.25, 880g 57mm
                            Bontrager 29-4 2.3, 840g 58mm

Anybody ridden any of those on a uni?

All seem to get decent write ups - though when they make recommendations, Ardent and Nevegal get a mention but not the HD. The Smorgasbord gets mentioned as a budget choice - the only obvious criticism being that it's a bit slow to get rolling, but then that sort of thing bothers us less than bikers doesn't it (so long as it's not DH tyre slow, but then I don't get that impression from the review)?

The thing is, I can get a Smorgasbord for 15 as opposed to 40 for a HD, so quite tempted to give one a go given I'm not quite sure yet about 29er muni (I have a 29er roadie in the garage which hasn't been ridden since I got a Schlumpf, so just need to switch the tyre and change the 125 cranks for the 150s off my 26er to have a go). I get the thing about tyres being really important and worth spending money on, but 15 instead of 40 for something which might be quite decent (just that nobody has tried one)? I should point out that I'm running a Fat Albert on my 26er, which may or may not be as good as the more trendy Rubber Queen - I don't know I've not ridden one of those - but it works fine for me, and that was only 20 rather than 40 for a RQ.

So what do you reckon, should I try out a Smorgasbord or spend the extra for a HD?
                            Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

• The On One is likey a Vee Rubber product, mixed bag on their stuff, might just be rebadged old stock, look before you leap, I have tossed more tires than I have kept.

edit: Just read Guitar Ted's review of the Smorgaborg! He seemed to think they were good, a comment posted suggested they were made by Maxxis, another comment said the side wall was similar to EXO. Might be worth a try, maybe you can get one and let us know

The HD is awesome, a full step up from the Ardent for tech riding and wet/muddy surfaces, sticks like glue to rock. Nothing wrong with the Ardent, but it's more suited to dry firm surfaces.

The HD prices are coming down, the 26" version is really inexpensive, $35-40 USD on Ebay.

You probably spent as much money on your seat as you would on a HD, but you spend all of your time on the tire and only part of your time on the seat. I never cheap on my my suspension, comfort, and traction.

FYI: Navegal is old style rubber, on par with a Stout, don't pay much for one and they are skinny compared to an Ardent. The Bontrager feels soft in the sidewall, haven't ridden one, not that wide compared to an Ardent.
                              Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-11-09, 04:59 PM.

Comment

you spend all of your time on the tire
                                Not all of us do

Thanks for the comments - given your usual scepticism about tyres that's actually quite an endorsement! I suppose somebody's got to be first to try one and 15 isn't going to break the bank (I rechecked prices, and my best delivered price is still 39 for a HD). Though on reading through some reviews just now, I found one from somebody local I know - who actually wasn't all that keen so presumably isn't using them any more. Shall have to see if he still has one I can borrow...
                                Unicycling: great for your thighs.

Comment

Working...
                                X