No announcement yet.

The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just came back from my first Muni ride with my 24X3.00 Kujo DH tire! It's awsome! I like it much better than my 2.6 Gazz I had before. I'm running at a lower pression than I was running with my Gazz. It absorbs drops really well, but I think that's just because it's a 3.00. It's a really great tire! Plus it has red sidewalls
    Last edited by jaco_flans; 2009-11-21, 09:39 PM.
    Jakob F.

Comment

Originally posted by toniruckschloss View Post
      i need a 26 tire, and here there's available only
      - Hutchinson Jumbo 26x2.45
      -Maxxis Minion DH 26x2.7

give me your opinion, advices,etc
      thanks!
      Well... never heard of the hutchinson, not a brand we have around here, but if you read a bit of this thread, nurse ben gave a nice review of the minion
      android power.

Comment

Originally posted by OneWheelLess View Post
        Well... never heard of the hutchinson, not a brand we have around here, but if you read a bit of this thread, nurse ben gave a nice review of the minion
        Hutchinson is one of the old french tire companies like Wolber, and Michelin. They have a great reputation for good rubber, and while they aren't the most common brand in the U.S. it is definitely available.

I don't know about that tire, but if it's made in france it's probably decent. If not, it's probably made by Cheng Shin Tire (CST) which has a house brand named MAXXiS, and so probably also decent. It seems like every tire company out there makes some terrible tires, and so it's not worth buying for brand alone.

The following quote is from an old thread: "

I like the 26" wheel size a lot. I am fairly tall (6ft 2) and finds it works better for me. However I like playing on a trail and a 26x3 is indeed a cumbersome beast. When I first tried a 26x3" tyre I found it rode like a tank, it really was an effort to turn. I am now back to riding a skinnier 26x2.45 (Hutchinson Jumbo) and this brings the behaviour of a 26" more in line with an XC unicycle with the bonus that I can still confidently bomb off big drops and use it to attack aggresive trail riding."

I didn't read the whole thread, but from that post it sounds like the tire was good as of 2006.
        "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

Comment

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has tried Continental's Rubber Queen 2.4? Sounds like it could be a great 'all mountain' tyre from the reviews.

I'm currently riding a Maxxis Swampthing 2.3 Supertacky which grips nicely in the sloop I currently have for trails but has slightly less volume than the Stout and rolls much slower too! From the reviews I have read the Rubber Queen solves both these issues whilst remaining very grippy.
          Last edited by Jap; 2009-12-01, 04:15 PM.
          MUni Me. Videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jap View Post
            From the reviews I have read the Rubber Queen solves both these issues whilst remaining very grippy.
            And an amusing name to boot - how can you go wrong?!

Rob
            "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

Originally posted by rob.northcott View Post
              And an amusing name to boot - how can you go wrong?!

Rob
              Indeed!
              MUni Me. Videos.

Comment

Dyno 24x3

It looked like Kris was riding a Dyno Fireball in Unizaba!

Dyno 24X3

At FLUCK Ivan had a Dyno Fireball 24X3 on his Qu-Ax 24. He did pretty good with it.

Unicorn
                Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will accomplish great feats!

The Unicycling Commune

Comment

Does anyone know if a IRC Kujo DH tire will crack in under-0 temperature? I dont want to switch to my Gazz again for the winter, the gazz is so hard to put on
                  Jakob F.

Comment

Originally posted by Jap View Post
                    Hi all, was wondering if anyone has tried Continental's Rubber Queen 2.4? Sounds like it could be a great 'all mountain' tyre from the reviews.

I'm currently riding a Maxxis Swampthing 2.3 Supertacky which grips nicely in the sloop I currently have for trails but has slightly less volume than the Stout and rolls much slower too! From the reviews I have read the Rubber Queen solves both these issues whilst remaining very grippy.
                    the swampthing is one of my favorite mud tires, but the sidewalls aren't quite as stiff as i would like, and it sucks bad on hardpack and pavement. lately i've been riding a tioga dh comp 2.3, and it's slightly wider, it has the mud capabilities of the swampthing, but better control and there are enough nobs to handle pavement. it is one of my all time favorite tires. i'd recommend trying that or the tioga white tiger which has even beefier sidewalls, but may be more clingy with mud.

btw, if it were just about the name, i'd def. get the rubber queen, lol. just cracks me up......
                    android power.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaco_flans View Post
                      I just came back from my first Muni ride with my 24X3.00 Kujo DH tire! It's awsome! I like it much better than my 2.6 Gazz I had before. I'm running at a lower pression than I was running with my Gazz. It absorbs drops really well, but I think that's just because it's a 3.00. It's a really great tire! Plus it has red sidewalls
                      I'm LOVING my kujo 3.0 on my 24" conundrum. I'm running higher pressure because I'm stickng to the road and hard packed trails right now. Love it!

Comment

• I'm digging the 2.5 Kodiak 29er tire. I posted a preliminary review at http://www.speedgoat.com/blog.asp

You may have to scroll down the page a bit or do a search (if you're much past Dec '09).

I liked the Stout. I REALLY like the Kodiak.
                        dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

• Well, Iíve been riding Continental's Rubber Queen 2.4 since Christmas and it's definitely the best tyre I have tried so far. It's very large for it's size. It just fit in the older KH26 frame but really needs the newer frame with the clearance for a 3" tyre. I'm currently running the tyre at 20 psi and it could go lower yet. Pushing the sidewall's there is little give while pushing the top of the tyre there is quite some movement, so the sidewall strength is good.

Previously I have used a Stout 2.3 and a Swampthing 2.3 (both run tubeless as is the Rubber Queen), and this tyre is much bouncier, bouncing me off balance upon landing my first few drop-offs! The tyre manages to be both gripper than the two previous tyres I have run and faster rolling, providing a sensation of speed that I never got while riding the Swampthing. I've found the extra grip most notable while climbing, being able to climb more technical and steeper hills before the tyre looses grip and spins out. I've had no problems with wet roots and it handles mud well too.

I weighed the tyre at 843 grams so it's a little lighter than the stout, great considering it's extra volume, a super 'All Mountain' style tyre thatís well worth a try.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubber-Queen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2426512
                          MUni Me. Videos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jap View Post

I weighed the tyre at 843 grams so it's a little lighter than the stout, great considering it's extra volume, a super 'All Mountain' style tyre thatís well worth a try.
                            [ATTACH]39509[/ATTACH]
                            Is that with or without Mud!
                            The mountainsí my playground, a place to unwind
                            Where negative thoughts are left far behind - Terry Peterson

"I'll be racing the clouds home"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jap View Post
                              Well, Iíve been riding Continental's Rubber Queen 2.4 since Christmas and it's definitely the best tyre I have tried so far. It's very large for it's size. It just fit in the older KH26 frame but really needs the newer frame with the clearance for a 3" tyre. I'm currently running the tyre at 20 psi and it could go lower yet. Pushing the sidewall's there is little give while pushing the top of the tyre there is quite some movement, so the sidewall strength is good.

Previously I have used a Stout 2.3 and a Swampthing 2.3 (both run tubeless as is the Rubber Queen), and this tyre is much bouncier, bouncing me off balance upon landing my first few drop-offs! The tyre manages to be both gripper than the two previous tyres I have run and faster rolling, providing a sensation of speed that I never got while riding the Swampthing. I've found the extra grip most notable while climbing, being able to climb more technical and steeper hills before the tyre looses grip and spins out. I've had no problems with wet roots and it handles mud well too.

[ATTACH]39509[/ATTACH]
                              Sounds good. I will have to get myself one of those to try.
                              Ķ-knee

Comment

• great thread
                                -Clean Swabs

"The only way to becoming a great unicyclist is to get back up and do it again" - B.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X