The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OldGoat View Post

Today I received a Minion DHF 26x2.8 tire in the mail. I chose the 2 compound 60tpi tire, mainly as I read that the lower thread count makes the carcass heavier but the sidewalls more robust.
    How is the autosteer of that tire? Since the Duro is said to have very little/ none, it would be a helpful comparison.
    Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Update: I've been riding the 27.5 x 3.0 Nobby Nic on a 45mm rim for 2 months now and must say this is an incredible muni tire and has really helped me advance my skill level in a short time

Pros: excellent grip on rocks, boulders and wet situations, hugs corners well, zero auto steer

Cons: $90. Also, I've heard they have sidewall issues with aggressive enduro riders, I've not experienced any issues as of yet
      Rob Urban
      KH 29 Schlumpf
      Nimbus 27.5 Oracle
      Nimbus II 26 Muni conversion

Comment

• Einradfahren in Sachsen:
        einradsachsen.com
        f/EinradSachsen
        07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

• Originally posted by rrurban View Post

Pros: excellent grip on rocks, boulders and wet situations, hugs corners well, zero auto steer
          The 29x2.6 on a 47mm rim has noticeable autosteer, what could be a possible explanation

Comment

• Surly Dirt Wizard 26 x 3.0

New Tire from Surly:

Surly Dirt Wizard 26 x 3.0

Weight: 1120g
            Pressure: 0.7- 2.4 Bar

- very little autosteer
            - good steerable
            - a lot of grip
            - reinforced flanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	surly-dirt-wizard-26-x-30_k..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2461095
            Fährt seit 1981 Einrad..26 Zoll ist meine bevorzugte Radgrösse.

Mein Lieblingssetup:

QX Eleven- Sattel, QX26" Gabel, KH26 - Felge, Vee Tire T- Fatty 26x 3.0 Reifen

Einradshop Schweiz
            Rasiershop
            Schwimmbojen

Comment

• price ?
              http://monocycle.info
              http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
              CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
              my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

• CHF 79.90 en Suisse
                Fährt seit 1981 Einrad..26 Zoll ist meine bevorzugte Radgrösse.

Mein Lieblingssetup:

QX Eleven- Sattel, QX26" Gabel, KH26 - Felge, Vee Tire T- Fatty 26x 3.0 Reifen

Einradshop Schweiz
                Rasiershop
                Schwimmbojen

Comment

• Originally posted by unikum View Post
                  New Tire from Surly:

Surly Dirt Wizard 26 x 3.0

Weight: 1120g
                  Pressure: 0.7- 2.4 Bar

- very little autosteer
                  - good steerable
                  - a lot of grip
                  - reinforced flanks

[ATTACH]71883[/ATTACH]
                  I've been looking at the dirt wizard. Do you like it. How does it hug rocks and boulders?
                  Rob Urban
                  KH 29 Schlumpf
                  Nimbus 27.5 Oracle

Comment

• Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
                    I wonder if it has to do with the width of the rim we are mounting the tire on. I had the same experience (worst auto-steer I have ever encountered) with the Ardent on a 50mm rim. Others claim no autosteer (shrug).
                    I think you are spot on! I had the Maxxis on a 32mm rim. Lol
                    Rob Urban
                    KH 29 Schlumpf
                    Nimbus 27.5 Oracle

Comment

• Makes sense, the wider the rim, the more "spread" is the tire.

Comment

• I just got a 26x3 surly dirt wizard. I really like it. Has good bounce, tons of grip and,seems to be built pretty damn solid. I was able to roll over obstacles pretty well and the grip was really good . all the snow is still melting on the mountains so theres a lot of mud and this tire gripped really well.

Would recommend for sure. I like it better than tge 26x3 duro wildlife that came on it.
                        Interesting how both tires coincidentally could be described the acronym DW
                        Last edited by trepper687; 2019-06-22, 10:12 PM.
                        -Me

Comment

• For me muni tyres comes down to two factors: Sideways stability and fun. These two factors are mutually exclusive, you can't have both, but you can compromise. This year I've put handlebars on my munis and it helps a great deal with controlling the beasts.

I've grouped the muni tyres I have some experience with:

Sideways stability:
                          24/26 x 3 Duro Leopard Wildlife
                          27.5 x 3 Surly Dirt Wizard

Compromize:
                          27.5 x 3.25 Duro Crux

Fun:
                          26 x 3 Surly Knard
                          26 x 3.8 Surly Nate

Can't ride it:
                          Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26 x 4.8 (I was all over the place)

My latest purchase is the 27.5 x 3 Surly Dirt Wizard. I really like it. I can keep my balance pretty good (sideways stability), it's very presice, and it's lighter than the Wildlife. Because of this I get pretty confident. I guess it can be fun sometimes to be in control, but it's not the roller coaster kind of fun that you get with other tyres. The drops feels a bit hard though, and I really have to pay attention to the terrain in front of me or else I'll get thrown off by small roots or bumps (bigger roots and bumps are no problem). And yes, it lives up to it's name. Great on dirt and mud.

If I have a very good day, the Surly Knard is the best. Light, playfull and bouncy. But when I have an off day I struggle with it, especially when it comes to sideways balance. The Nate is in the same category, but it rolls over more stuff and is heavier an more bouncy.

In the middle you have the Duro Crux wich is really great.

The weight of the tyre gives you an indication on were to place it on the sideways stability/fun scale I think.
                          UniMyra's YouTube channel

Comment

• Originally posted by zack28 View Post
                            How is the autosteer of that tire? Since the Duro is said to have very little/ none, it would be a helpful comparison.
                            Thanks in advance!
                            I find the 26" x 2.8" Maxxis Minion DHF 60tpi dual compound tire seems to go where I want it to. I'm satisfied. I'm trying to decide whether to replace it with a 26x3" Surly Dirt Wizard or buy another Minion.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I just saw your post today

Cheers - Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by OldGoat View Post
                              I find the 26" x 2.8" Maxxis Minion DHF 60tpi dual compound tire seems to go where I want it to. I'm satisfied. I'm trying to decide whether to replace it with a 26x3" Surly Dirt Wizard or buy another Minion.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I just saw your post today

Cheers - Terry
                              Thanks for your answer! That was a bit of a delay.
                              Funny thing is, I just checked in to ask trepper 687 the same question.
                              Maybe he would like to share his experience concerning the autosteer of the Dirt Wizard?

Cheers
                              Stephan

Comment

• I have a 29" Kris Holm. I changed the frame to get the disc tab at some point, so the frame is the one that still had the Magura tabs and the disc tab, and it was the first "wider" with the flatter crown top, like the current ones. Can I put a Duro Crux 3.25 on it? Or would that only work for more recent frames (without the Magura tabs)?

Comment

Working...
                                X