No announcement yet.

The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I rode my Geared up 650b on a ''real'' ride this weekend, I did around 40-50kms on light hilly XC and really really techy trails in mud and wet conditions. I've been riding the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 27,5x2.35 with Trail Star Compound (tubeless)... So far, I think it's amazing! It's the best tire I've had so far!

Just like Ben said, it grips on everything even when wet! My tire was filled with mud and it was still gripping on every rock and root on the way. The tire didn't even burp on my ride, I like it! lots of awkward rocks everywhere in my trails and I did not have any problem with the tubeless setup.

Just saying that the 650b is the best wheel size I had also
    Jakob F.

Comment

• Yup, 650b is just right sized for all around muni.

I'm building a bike for longer rides and I was looking at the 650b as a wheel size, but on a bike there is so much more control and of course gears, so I went with a short chainstay 29er.

I kinda wish the 650b wheel size was closer to being "mid size" between a 26 and 26 rim, as it is, the size is about 1/3 the difference larger than a 26". I do like that a 650b with an HD is a tad larger than a 26" Duro, so I don't feel like I'm losing wheel size when I ride narrower tires.
      I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Originally posted by davidp View Post
        Surly has a 2.75" tire called the Dirt Wizard coming but judging by the Knard released this year it could be Spring before they are available.
        Saw the Dirt Wizard on the Surly website, any idea if this tire will fit in KH26 frame? Or would you need at least the KH29 frame for clearance? Seems like it should fit fine in KH26...
        munisano

Comment

• I just installed a sample Dirt Wizard on my KH26 as of last week =)

The Dirt Wizard is almost identical in weight and casing size to the Maxxis High Roller 26x2.7, so plenty of clearance in the KH26. It's 60g heavier than the High Roller (e.g. negligible difference), same casing depth, and 3 mm wider (so not noticeable). Tread depth is similar to the High Roller, so deeper than the Knard. Weight is about 1000g

I haven't put it through a huge amount of testing but so far it looks like a great tire.

I also have a sample of a 27tpi Surly Knard in 26x3.0. This one is way bigger, same as the 29" Knard just 26. Weight is about 1000g.
          This also fits in the KH26 frame. Clearance above the tire is only 5 mm but with the shallow tread this is probably OK. Lateral clearance is tight - only a couple of mm) but I think OK as long as your tire is true. I haven't tested this one yet.
          Last edited by danger_uni; 2013-11-13, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by danger_uni View Post
            I just installed a sample Dirt Wizard on my KH26 as of last week =)

The Dirt Wizard is almost identical in weight and casing size to the Maxxis High Roller 26x2.7, so plenty of clearance in the KH26. It's 60g heavier than the High Roller (e.g. negligible difference), same casing depth, and 3 mm wider (so not noticeable). Tread depth is similar to the High Roller, so deeper than the Knard. Weight is about 1000g

I haven't put it through a huge amount of testing but so far it looks like a great tire.

I also have a sample of a 27tpi Surly Knard in 26x3.0. This one is way bigger, same as the 29" Knard just 26. Weight is about 1000g.
            This also fits in the KH26 frame. Clearance above the tire is only 5 mm but with the shallow tread this is probably OK. Lateral clearance is tight - only a couple of mm) but I think OK as long as your tire is true. I haven't tested this one yet.
            Thanks! Any word on when the Surly Knard 26x3 will be available? Might just hold off until that tire is available. I'm currently using the Maxxis Holy Roller 26 x 2.4 which is great all around tire but it lacks the cushioning of a larger volume tire like my favorite old Nokian Gazz! I might end up getting a Duro Wildlife Leopard 26x3 to tie me over though in the short run.
            munisano

Comment

• No firm date on the Knard as yet. In the interim and if you can find one, you will find a big difference between your 2.4 and, say, a High Roller 26x2.7. So far I'm leaning towards this volume as my favourite in a 26, as long as weight stays around 1000g.
              The Knard is really big volume - bigger than the Duro 26x3.

Comment

No firm date on the Knard as yet. In the interim and if you can find one, you will find a big difference between your 2.4 and, say, a High Roller 26x2.7. So far I'm leaning towards this volume as my favourite in a 26, as long as weight stays around 1000g.
                The Knard is really big volume - bigger than the Duro 26x3.
                Thanks Kris! Just ordered a High Roller 26x2.7. Looks pretty good to me. While I miss my old 26x3 Nokian Gazz the High Roller will have to do for now! Happy riding!
                munisano

Comment

I just installed a sample Dirt Wizard on my KH26 as of last week =)

Thanks Kris for the early report. I see that there are 2 casings available. Do you have the 27 tpi or the 120? The 1000g hints at the former as it's closer to the specs on the site.

Feedback on the Dirt Wizard is definitely welcomed. Especially since the High Roller 2.7 appears to be out of production.

I've been running a Bontrager XR4ti on the G26. The package lists the weight at 780g. I like it in high gear, but the casing is a bit (almost too) round for the tread pattern. With the sidewalls being a bit thin and the tread being on the lesser side it really has a narrow range of acceptable pressure for riding. Too little, and it squirms. Too much and it bounces. The volume is good, but the lack of the side knobs leave a bit to be desired when things get a bit slick. For dry conditions and not too technical trails it works well. The light weight is great for keeping it in high gear. If it gets a bit rocky or slick, stopping the squirm or finding traction gets tricky- especially with the different feel of the uni between the 2 gears.

I think the Dirt Wizard will be a nice step up to a more solid tire. I'm mainly curious which version will be better for unicycling. The folding version at 850g makes me wonder if the casing is a bit too thin.
                  dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by unigoat View Post
                    Thanks Kris for the early report. I see that there are 2 casings available. Do you have the 27 tpi or the 120?
                    Originally posted by danger_uni View Post
                    I also have a sample of a 27tpi Surly Knard in 26x3.0.
                    There you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by unigoat View Post
                      <snip>
                      Feedback on the Dirt Wizard is definitely welcomed. Especially since the High Roller 2.7 appears to be out of production. <snip>
                      From what I know in Taiwan, the High Roller 2.7 is still in production and it comes standard on the KH26.

Maxxis does not put every tire they make on their website (for example they also make a 24x2.7 High Roller), and this tire size is hard to find in a retail shop. Perhaps that will change with the surge in popularity of fat bikes. But that said, it's great news that the Dirt Wizard now exists just in case it indeed goes out of production.
                      In the 29" size I think that a lighter casing makes more sense for weight reasons, but in 26 I think the 27 tpi is probably about right for most unicycle riders.

Kris
                      Last edited by danger_uni; 2013-11-15, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Kris! Good news indeed.

It's not only to know that the 26" version is in production, but a 24" as well. I had a friend give me a several year old NOS 24" and he was under the impression that they were no longer available. He's been sponsored by Maxxis (on the bike side of things) for years.

We still have a bunch of 24" wheels around here that don't always need a Duro.

I'll try to do some more digging.
                        dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

• Okay, I know this has probably been covered, but there are sooooooo many 26" tires out there, I hope you'll bear with me.

With the season ending, I'm beginning to plan a multi-day epic for next year on my 26er Muni. I actually don't mind the Duro, but the ride I'm planning has a lot of climbing, and I'm looking for something a bit less over kill.

Are there any proven lightweight 26er tires out there? Lightweight 'and' durable of course. I was considering a 26" Hans Dampf. I'd be running it tubed. Volume doesn't matter that much 2.25 - 2.5 would be ideal.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, thanks!
                          "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

Comment

• Originally posted by Killian View Post
                            Are there any proven lightweight 26er tires out there? Lightweight 'and' durable of course. I was considering a 26" Hans Dampf. I'd be running it tubed. Volume doesn't matter that much 2.25 - 2.5 would be ideal.
                            You are on the perfect thread for such kind of tires. You will find in previous pages a lot of feedback for tires.

On my personal tests, I have been nicely surprised by the Specialized Purgatory UST 26x2.4 (780g) and the Continental Diesel 26x2.5 (700g).
                            The first one has stronger sidewalls because of the tubeless ready. The second one has a nice tread and snake-skin like sidewalls and is more flexible.

I am testing now an Ardent these days and have still another tire or two in my backlog I have to play around with in the future.

If you want to play around with tires without breaking the bank (or even try your multi-day trip with a light tire), just shoot me a PM and I can send you a tire and you will send it back to me when you return from your trip (or sooner if it doesn't feel right)
                            Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2013-11-20, 02:13 PM.
                            => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                            => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• My buddy runs the purgatory's on his b*ke and likes them, so maybe I'll have a looky-look at those.

Thanks for the offer on trying them out, if I decide to do that I'll let you know.

Comment

• One more question,

At the moment my only other 26er tube is a 3" Duro tube (yeah, heavy). If I get a new tire, I'd likely just buy a smaller tube, but in the event that my brain collapses and I don't, is there any harm in running a 3" tube in a 2.35" tire?

Comment

Working...
                                X