The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lowlight View Post
    On tyres, anyone know much about the current WTB Stout 29er tyres. I need to replace my one at some point as the sidewalls are ripped and coming away from the bead in a couple of places. I guess I maybe ran it at too low pressure. My one is a wire bead but the latest ones seem to be folding. Much differences?
    AFAIK the WTB Stout has been discontinued (it's no longer listed on WTB's website). I think it was available in a couple of versions with the folding version labeled as "race". A few months ago they were available cheaply on closeout at several sites but now they seem to be very expensive if you can find them.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerome View Post
      just got back from muni ride maxxis swampthing 24x2.5 supertacky is amazing in wet mud
      tyre pressure was 30psi
      normally run my halo contra at about 15/20 psi

it sticks to everthing which is great when wet but up my usual dry local
      hill was really hard to pedal compared to my halo contra 24x3
      going to stick my halo back on for the summer and keep the swampthing for bad weather
      How big is the swampthing compared to other 2.5 tires? I am building a 26" downhill setup and am looking for 2.5 tires that are at least (really) 2.5 or bigger and that you can run with low psi.
      www.bikepark-info.com

Comment

• sorry i didnt measure it and have since put my halo back on

next to a nokian gazzaloddi 2.6 on friends it had a lot less volume ,but i was amazed at how good it was

it was really difficult to get on and off the rim

Comment

• Here are the first impressions of my new Schwalbe Muddy Mary 26x2.5 Downhill edition.

I chose that tire because I wanted something for the 26" that has nearly the same weight as a 24x3 Duro. The Muddy Mary is a heavy tire for its size so my new setup is still a bit heavier than my old one but that's ok.

You can use it with 1.5 - 3.5bar. I tested it with about 2 bar to be on the safe side. Because I don't weigh much and don't do big drops I will perhaps go a bit lower but even at 2 bar it felt quite bouncy.

I decided to do my test ride on a rocky trail (see picture below). I noticed the difference to my 3" Duro (24" wheel) but it was still a very nice ride. Actually it was one of the best rides I have ever done on that trail (the bigger wheel contributed to this).

I really fell in love with this tire for downhill use but on the road it's not the best. It can't handle road crown very well and according to some bicyclist reviews it wears quickly on hard surfaces.... well it's not made for that anyway.

More impressions will follow...
          Attached Files
          www.bikepark-info.com

Comment

• So is the Muddy Mary actually _heavier_ than a 3" Duro?! Sounds good apart from that.

Ragarding my quest for a 29er mud tyre, I decided against the full-on Mud-X and went for a WTB Prowler 2.1 instead. It's pretty spikey, nice open tread, not too heavy and the 2.1 size should give some decent mud clearance. If it's muddy at Mountain Mayhem next week I'll let you know how it performs. If it's dry or just damp I'll stick with the Ralph.

Rob
            "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

• So is the Muddy Mary actually _heavier_ than a 3" Duro?! Sounds good apart from that.
              I compared the 24 Duro to the 26 Muddy Mary because I wanted a nearly equal (or lighter) weight on the bigger wheel. And I haven't weighted the unis (or the tires) but the complete 26er felt slightly heavier, not much though (but there is also the bigger rim)
              www.bikepark-info.com

Comment

• I just had a quick look around the web, and the Muddy Mary 2.5 claims to weigh 1150g. That should be WAY lighter than the Duro 3" - I think the 26" version weighs about 1800g, so I'd guess even the 24" would be heavier than the Mary.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

• According to the Schwalbe website the 26" Muddy Mary 2.5 Downhill weighs 1350g and on the Duro homepage the 24" Duro Razorback 3.0 (which seems to be the Duro Wildlife Leopard) is stated with a weight of 1255g.

http://www.schwalbe.de/ger/de/produk...kel=339&info=1

http://durotire.com/productdetails.php?productid=646

EDIT:
                  My LBS weighted the Muddy Mary a few months ago for me and as far as I can remember this weight could be approximately correct. The Duro seems a bit light though.
                  Last edited by From the Woods; 2010-06-11, 10:27 AM.
                  www.bikepark-info.com

Comment

• Hmmm. You may be right - I just got the Mary weight from a bike shop and Duro from UDC UK. I'd be surprised if the 24" Duro was really only 1200g though.

Anyway, sounds like a nice tyre (although Chain Reaction has it listed as discontinued).

I'm still thinking of going for a Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 when my current Duro wears out.

Rob

Comment

• Yah before I studded and modified the tread of my 26x3 Duro it was around 1700g. I have it written down somewhere.
                      My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

• Originally posted by Jap View Post
                        Still loving the Rubber Queen 2.4, a great tyre if you want to ride up as well as down. Huge volume yet light weight!

I would not oversize your inner tube, you do not want to add weight you don't need. I run my tyre tubeless which is worth looking at as it has several benefits.
                        I have been looking at reviews on this tyre on the web, I realy like the idea of having a unicycle ~1kg lighter and faster than my 24'' with a gazz.

For people looking at this tyre here are some reviews:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/contine...-queen-review/

FYI from this review^ it looks like the name has been changed to Trail King, a pitty the old name was better IMO. Strange as the Continental site doesn't say that, at least I can't find it.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato..._queen_en.html

http://www.bicycleeverything.com/pro...Bike-Tire.html

Jap what is the wear rate like? Also Im not sure if I've asked this before but is it an ok tyre for hopping? Thanks for your help
                        Sam

Comment

• Back on page 12 I posted about the Continental Vertical (and my quest to get it into the rim).

Well, I didn't like it at all. The weight reduction from the Duro was countered by the lack of cushioning and the less forgiving ride that comes with a 3.0 tyre. It was slower, less effective at climbing and overall very disappointing. Hilariously I had to remove the bastard with a saw because it was utterly impossible to get off any other way. I welcomed back the Duro with open arms.

Naturally, I ended up sawing through the inner tube too (despite my best efforts to the contary). D'oh. On the bright side, the new tube (a Specialized 3.0) I replaced it with actually feels different to the old one; it's considerably bouncier, making hopping a lot easier. I guess that something good came from the experience!
                          I put on my shoes and grab my key for the door; put my headphones on for this world I ignore.

Comment

• arrow wide bite 24x3 slow compound

just tried my new arrow tyre out ,so far i really like it feels really stable playing around with tyre pressures at the moment started at 40 psi

Comment

• just tried my new arrow tyre out ,so far i really like it feels really stable playing around with tyre pressures at the moment started at 40 psi
                              Dude, that's not a road tire. Try some normal muni pressures, like 15-20 psi

Speaking of muni tires, if you all are looking for a decent 26" muni tire, see if you can find an Intense 2.5-2.7 FRO, great tire, similar feel to a Gazz JR, but with a folding bead it's easier to install and lighter.

Note that there are a number of variants in the Intense tires, so be sure you get the two ply with sticky rubber and a linear outer knobby; i.e. not an irregular pattern.
                              I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Originally posted by From the Woods View Post
                                Here are the first impressions of my new Schwalbe Muddy Mary 26x2.5 Downhill edition.

I chose that tire because I wanted something for the 26" that has nearly the same weight as a 24x3 Duro. The Muddy Mary is a heavy tire for its size so my new setup is still a bit heavier than my old one but that's ok.

You can use it with 1.5 - 3.5bar. I tested it with about 2 bar to be on the safe side. Because I don't weigh much and don't do big drops I will perhaps go a bit lower but even at 2 bar it felt quite bouncy.

I decided to do my test ride on a rocky trail (see picture below). I noticed the difference to my 3" Duro (24" wheel) but it was still a very nice ride. Actually it was one of the best rides I have ever done on that trail (the bigger wheel contributed to this).

I really fell in love with this tire for downhill use but on the road it's not the best. It can't handle road crown very well and according to some bicyclist reviews it wears quickly on hard surfaces.... well it's not made for that anyway.

More impressions will follow...

Im in love too! Tested the tire last weekend on roots and loose, dry ground and it was GOOD!

Also a tire that i should mention here is the Schwalbe Dirty Dan (only a 26x2.35, but its as big as the TryAll!!)
                                Its a tire made for extreme muddy conditions and you can feel that for sure.
                                On road its nearly not possible to move forward (very sticky compound and the big profile) but in loose muddy terain, you'll get grip like no other tire.
                                I could make fast turns where other good riders just slipped away.
                                That tire is a grippy beast!

I will use the Dirty Dan for bad and the Muddy Mary for good weather.
                                I may try the Muddy Mary in the Freeride version in 2.35.... it only weights 850g! 400g less then the DH version with 2.5.
                                Riding for Triton
                                Supported by Municycle.com

Comment

Working...
                                X