No announcement yet.

The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haha... I took it to my LBS today and one of the very helpful people in the workshop forced it on for me. I must have been doing it wrong somehow; my hands are pretty strong. He looked like he was having some trouble with it, but it went on after 30 seconds or so of big effort.

I'm a little concerned about how easy it's going to be to remove (given that I snapped three levers trying to get it on!), but I'm really enjoying the relative lightness of the tyre so far. A more detailed review will come soon.

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys! I'll get it next time...
    I put on my shoes and grab my key for the door; put my headphones on for this world I ignore.

Comment

• Hi all. im thinking of getting these for my nimbus 26. what do you think of them? pros/cons?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=290687353
      -Clean Swabs

"The only way to becoming a great unicyclist is to get back up and do it again" - B.S.

Comment

• Awesome thread,

Ok so I am getting the wider rim for the KH 29, my previous Kh 29's tire kept on popping off the rim (had the XC type), hopefully the wider rim will do the job.

So now a choice of tire, I found a good looking tire and would like to get some feedback from you all.

Maxxis Ardent 29er Tyre
        http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31277

This one has the options of:
        29 x 2.25 - 60a - Folding
        29 x 2.25 - 70a - Folding
        29 x 2.25 - Wire - 60a

Which is better you think, maybe the wire bead and what does the 60a and 70a mean??

I know the new wider rim setup comes with the WTB Stout 2.3 but I see its also folding. I want to do big stuff 1m+ drops and hardcore muni, I love the bigger wheel plus speed and sure the wider rim will be awesome but tire choice is a BIG concern...

Comment

• Originally posted by Oddwheel View Post
          what does the 60a and 70a mean??
          It's different rubber compounds. I don't know the details though - I would guess one is harder than the other.

For a big strong 29er tyre for more extreme riding the WTB Dissent looks promising - but really heavy. I'm using a Racing Ralph 2.4, at the other end of the weight scale (under 600g)! It wouldn't suit your riding though - very thin and puny, but a really light quick xc tyre if you're careful.

Rob
          Last edited by rob.northcott; 2010-05-20, 03:38 PM.
          "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

• I'm not sure if anyone has tried an Ardent but until the new WTB 2.5" tires became available the Stout and Kenda Nevegal seemed to be the most highly regarded tires for 29" MUni. Is the WTB Dissent 2.5 available in your area?

Comment

• Originally posted by rob.northcott View Post
              It's different rubber compounds. I don't know the details though - I would guess one is harder than the other.Rob
              That's correct, they are different levels of hardness, and hence grip. The lower the number the softer the tyre, so it will grip better but roll slower. I was running a Swampthing 42a for a while over the winter, the grip was fantastic but it rolled very slowly.
              MUni Me. Videos.

Comment

• Getting a tire on is harder if the rim is wide, has a flat profile (no valley) and/or tall sidewalls. The Nimbus rims and others like the Alex are easy to do without levers, even the Nimbus 36 goes without levers, but when you get into a trials rim like the TryAll, good luck doing it without levers.

But hey, maybe I don't know what I'm doing, couldn't have helped that I grew up in a bike shop or worked in shops for years...

Just be careful not to catch the tube
                I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                  The Nimbus rims and others like the Alex are easy to do without levers, even the Nimbus 36 goes without levers, but when you get into a trials rim like the TryAll, good luck doing it without levers.

But hey, maybe I don't know what I'm doing, couldn't have helped that I grew up in a bike shop or worked in shops for years...
                  (Presumably that was aimed in my direction...)
                  I didn't intend to imply that you were wrong or inexperienced - sorry if it came across that way. I haven't ever dealt with trials rims or tyres - not my thing. I've always found the big 3" downhill tyres (which seem to have a reputation on here for being difficult) easy to fit though, on various rims - I'm sure a lot of people over-dramatise how hard they are, or just try to do it with the bead sat on the rim edge.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

• So is there a special technique that you guys use who claim to be able to put tires on without levers? I struggle hard every time, especially when removing the tire. My technique is to force the tire to the valley of the rim with 4 or 5 thick text markers and then using downhill tire levers. It works like that but I think I'd be screwed if I ever had to do that anywhere mid ride without the text markers. I'm talking about Gazzalodi tires on wide rims (KH and TryAll) and nightrider on the stealth pro and the airfoil rim. Is there a secret that would make it easier?
                    Last edited by munirocks; 2010-05-20, 08:40 PM.
                    µ-knee

Comment

• Originally posted by munirocks View Post
                      So is there a special technique that you guys use who claim to be able to put tires on without levers? I struggle hard every time, especially when removing the tire.
                      Most tyres won't come OFF without a couple of levers.

Getting them ON without levers I've not had a problem with. Obviously some tyre-rim combinations are tighter than others, but as I said, the only problem pairings I've come across are some 12" tyres on a child's bike and the TA tyre on my old steel 36er rim. The TA on the Stealth is pretty tight, but will go on by hand with a struggle. I've had loads of rims and tyres in my life, but perhaps I've just been lucky. As I said to Ben though, I've not had any experience of trials tyres - perhaps they're a bad case. I haven't had to fit a Gazz 3" either, but I find the Duro pretty easy. I think the slackest-fitting tyre I've had is the Racing Ralph on my KH29 rim - that goes on AND off easily without levers.

I just use the normal method of pushing the opposite side of the tyre bead as much as possible into the centre well of the rim while getting the last bit over. Wider tyres are easier than skinny road bike tyres because you can get a really good handfull of tyre to pull the last bit of bead over the rim lip. Having a tiny bit of air in the tube helps to avoid pinching, especially if you DO use a lever to get the tyre on. Some people use something like talcum powder, soap or water on the tyre bead to help it slide over the rim if it's especially tight. I've got no magic methods - just seems like I've managed to avoid the impossible combinations all my life I was always taught never to use levers to fit a tyre and just always stuck to that, except as a real last resort.

Rob
                      Last edited by rob.northcott; 2010-05-20, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Is there a secret that would make it easier?
                        Well, I cuss like a sailor, which may not help, but it certainly make me feel better

Soapy water works nicely, also a second set of hands is always helpful.

I think the TryAll rims are especially tough, may be the lack of a valley.

Worst combo of all time: TryAll Stiky on a K1 TryAll 26" x 47mm rim

Cussing, that's th ticket!
                        I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

• 29er Mud Tyre?

What are people's recommendations for a 29er mud tyre at the moment?

I'm pretty happy with my Racing Ralph 2.4 for all my local xc riding - it's ridiculously light, supple and grips well on most surfaces. But where it falls down (sometimes literally!) is in deep sticky mud. It's just not spikey enough and gets clogged quickly.

I could really do with a good mud tyre to have in reserve for times when it's too gooey for the Ralph. I've always found a Ritchey Z-Max 2.1 on my 26" wheel works well, but it would be nice to be able to use the 29er.

Weight is a consideration, this being my race machine, but when it's fast and dry I'll stick with the Ralph anyway, so I could stand something a bit heavier.

Any suggestions most welcome (I could do with getting hold of something in time for Mountain Mayhem in the middle of June - it's often very muddy there)

Rob
                          Last edited by rob.northcott; 2010-05-28, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Since it was my first 29er tire and I cut it up for a frankentire before trying other ones out I can't really give a good comparison but I really liked the WTB Prowler 2.1 for mixed terrain. Much better grip than a RR 2.4 on soft and wet trails. The stout might work better for mud only but I haven''t used it so don't know, and it is kind of heavy for a race tire.
                            My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

• Thanks Sask - I'll have a look at the Prowler. If I can't find anything else I like I'll probably end up going for a Stout by default, but I really like the Ralph for everything except sticky mud, so I really need something that works well when the going gets really sticky and muddy (nice open tread and longish spikes).

Rob

Comment

• Conti Mountain King?

Has anybody tried the 29er version of the Continental Mountain King? I've been trawling around the web looking for a mud tyre and it looks quite promising. Nice open spiky tread but not too heavy (only 100g or so heavier than the Ralph). I'm tempted to give one a try unless anybody has bad things to say about them.

Rob

EDIT: This is a bit odd... the one shown here looks exactly what I'm after (but out of stock), but others all seem much less spiky, almost like the Racing Ralph. There must be two versions around or else the picture at CRC is just wrong...
                                Last edited by rob.northcott; 2010-06-01, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X